• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas Systems - Piston or Impinged?

Frankh252

There was a thread in here where someone was arguing that his LWRC M6A2 was God's gift to the AR platform. Someone else posted an article written by a guy who runs one of those Vegas gun ranges with all the cool rental toys. I'm pretty sure that place is harder on guns than even military service, and his experience was the piston guns can't hang with that type of abuse. I don't feel like digging it up but maybe someone else can post it.

The Gun Store !

I went there , had to shoot my third choice .

Tommy gun broken, Sturmgewerh 44 broken spring.. There stuff gets abused !

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2016 at 0:21 PM, Frankh252 said:

Cleaned, cleaned again and well lubed in between 's. Personally, I like Stoner's DI and think of AK's as the other kind but respect their impact & influence.

If I remember correctly the M1 Carbine's piston system was designed in a US prison in the late 1920's and later pattened. It was one of the first PDW guns.

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

If I remember correctly the M1 Carbine's piston system was designed in a US prison in the late 1920's and later pattened. It was one of the first PDW guns.

Yes it was, saw that on an episode of "History forgotten" a few weeks back

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZcEjdvx8c

In case anyone hasn't seen these, here is a link to Iraqveteran1888's latest video of his meltdown series.  This last on he does a piston AR, the one before is a DI AR, and the first is done with an AK. 

Full auto until failure....almost sounds like an old Bestie Boys song title.

• 3 months later...

This has absolutely nothing to do with a fad, or meaningless cult following, with no basis in mechanical superiority. The direct gas impingement system is, and always has been, the Achilles Heel of the AR platform. Carbon fouling causes jams. With cheap ammo, and cheap powder, this happens rapidly. Sometimes, even within 100 rounds.

This is why you NEVER get carbon fouling issues and stovepipe jams in AK variants, as they utilize indirect gas impingement systems. I have a Armalite AR180B (5.56) that has twin impingement rods and it has never jammed, no matter how many rounds i run through it, in succession.

The gas piston conversion is exactly what the AR platform has needed, since it's introduction. Ever wondered why there's no need for a forward assist, on an AK? Now you know.  The last thing you want to do, is blow a bunch of dirt and garbage into a tight-tolerance system of lubricated, moving parts.

It's like running the exhaust, from your car's engine, back through the cylinders. Wouldn't take long for that thing to seize up and quit running. That's what happens with direct gas systems. Gas and carbon should be expelled outside the system, where they belong.

So, everyone can have their opinion, but if you're betting your life on the reliability of your weapon to function flawlessly, when it counts....then get rid of your direct gas system and upgrade to

Man Spartacus , your first post & its full of a lot of misinformation in it . Did you even watch those videos ? The Piston system & the DI system AR's ran the same amount of ammo to fail , not to mention the DI rifle used a lighter Barrel then the Piston system . 
 The Fuking AK was custom built & only went a total of 95 rounds more then the AR's  , not a true comparison to an off the shelf AK . 

I like those videos  , not something I would do with any select fire weapon I owned . For your information , I was a Class III FFl for a whole bunch of years & got to build & fire a host of weapons , most here would give there right nut to have .

Edited by survivalshop

DI systems work good enough ! 

This one time at a AZ shoot we dumped around 500 rounds in under 45 minutes through a bumpfire AR . We had to switch uppers. Rounds would cook off in the chamber. My upper was glowing and steaming. Great stuff !

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with a fad, or meaningless cult following, with no basis in mechanical superiority. The direct gas impingement system is, and always has been, the Achilles Heel of the AR platform. Carbon fouling causes jams. With cheap ammo, and cheap powder, this happens rapidly. Sometimes, even within 100 rounds.

This is why you NEVER (never is a long time) get carbon fouling issues and stovepipe jams in AK variants, as they utilize indirect gas impingement systems. I have a Armalite AR180B (5.56) that has twin impingement rods and it has never jammed, no matter how many rounds i run through it, in succession.

The gas piston conversion is exactly what the AR platform has needed, since it's introduction. Ever wondered why there's no need for a forward assist, on an AK? Now you know.  The last thing you want to do, is blow a bunch of dirt and garbage into a tight-tolerance system of lubricated, moving parts.(AK and tight tolerances in the same paragraph...LOL)

It's like running the exhaust, from your car's engine, back through the cylinders. (They do, it's called an EGR valve...)Wouldn't take long for that thing to seize up and quit running. That's what happens with direct gas systems. Gas and carbon should be expelled outside the system, where they belong.

So, everyone can have their opinion, but if you're betting your life on the reliability of your weapon to function flawlessly, when it counts....then get rid of your direct gas system and upgrade to

bullshit2.jpg