• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Requirements for ar15 Cali compliance

texas30cal

Overall length must be 30"

Barrel must be 16" (that can be a 14.5" barrel with a pinned/welded muzzle device, totaling 16")

Muzzle devices / threaded muzzles are fine as long as you have a bullet button, and the barrel is at least 16"

10 round mags, max

Pretty much as long as you have a bullet button everything else is ok except the round limitation, as long as it meets NFA standards and isn't a short barreled rifle, pistol,  suppressed, or have mounted night vision optics

People in Cali do have AR pistols and standard capacity mags, but only if obtained before they were banned from further purchase

If your friend moves here his CHL will not be kosher and please tell him that getting one here will be close to impossible if he is in many Counties in Southern California or Coastal Central or Bay Area . I live in Shasta County (Which issues and I have a CCW ) and many other Far Northern Counties issue but if he is moving to a place with a Job most likely he is SOL on a CCW here.

10 hours ago, D.R.D. said:

What may change in within 6 months?

State Super Majority Democrats in our Legislature have a hard on for Severe Firearms Restrictions and Kamala Harris & Gavin "Any Twosome" Newsom have maneuvered a whole host of Bills & New Laws into committee and onto ballot that will severely curtail our 2A/RTKBA in this deepest of Blue States .

18 hours ago, texas30cal said:

I know some of you are behind enemy lines so I'm asking here, my buddy has a ar he built on a 80% lower here in Tx, what does he need to change before he moves to California?

your buddy will be safe as long as he puts a magazine lock on his rifle and buys some 10 round mags.

Personally, I suggest the Raddlock as it can be adjusted for Cali-legal and back to a free state. I have one on all my rifles.

18 hours ago, D.R.D. said:

What may change in within 6 months?

Oh those knuckleheads in Sacramento came up with a bunch new proposals after the San Bernadino shootings to make

things more difficult for gun owners here in california - here is a list of what's in the works:

AB 1663 closes the “bullet button” loophole. This loophole enables a firearm owner to use a bullet or other pointed object to quickly detach and replace a weapon’s ammunition magazine, converting a rifle into a semi-automatic assault weapon. An individual can switch magazines on a gun with a bullet button within seconds. This bill would expand the classification of assault weapons to include all semi-automatic center fire rifles, which are capable of accepting detachable magazines.

AB 1664 will prohibit the use of a “bullet button” or other tool that allows for easily changeable magazines on all military-style assault weapons. Guns equipped with a bullet button are functionally the same as illegal assault weapons, but they are sold legally in California. This kind of assault rifle was used in the San Bernardino mass shooting last month and a shooting at Los Angeles International Airport in 2013.

AB 2510 eliminates uniformity for CCW permits, putting permit holders and law enforcement at greater risk.

AB 2607 expands "gun violence restraining orders" so that your boss, coworker, or college professor can legally strip away your gun rights.

SB 880 immediately bans and forces the registration of millions of magazine fed semi-automatic centerfire weapons in common use.

SB 894 mandates lost and stolen reporting within five days and penalizes individuals for reports that are turned in even a day late.

SB 1006 allows the University of California to conduct biased gun violence research.

SB 1037 extends the statute of limitations on certain non-violent firearms related crimes, mostly having to do with paperwork.

SB 1235 is a measure that we believe will eventually include mandatory ammo tracking and purchase permits.

SB 1407 is De Leon's new version of the "Ghost Gun" ban.

SB 1446 bans all "standard" capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds - no "grandfather" exceptions!!

To say the least, we got a real mess on our hands out here!! - OP, have your buddy go through the attached "flowchart" to determine current

california legality - it pretty well covers all the current requirements.

flowchart.pdf

Edited by guruofhotrod

Thanks for the replies, we will watch for coming changes and try to have him ready, he will be moving there in late summer some time. It is also built on a 80% lower, are there rules concerning them/serial numbers that differ from the free states?

7 hours ago, texas30cal said:

Thanks for the replies, we will watch for coming changes and try to have him ready, he will be moving there in late summer some time. It is also built on a 80% lower, are there rules concerning them/serial numbers that differ from the free states?

At this point they are only proposed rules but, certain individuals such as kevin de leon:evil: have a major hard on to serialize/register 80% ers - this year is

his second or third? attempt to regulate them - I remember last time Gov Brown Vetoed his bill and went on to explain that he felt requiring registration on

homemade firearms wouldn't significantly affect gun related crimes

18 minutes ago, guruofhotrod said:

At this point they are only proposed rules but, certain individuals such as kevin de leon:evil: have a major hard on to serialize/register 80% ers - this year is

his second or third? attempt to regulate them - I remember last time Gov Brown Vetoed his bill and went on to explain that he felt requiring registration on

homemade firearms wouldn't significantly affect gun related crimes

At least someone there thinks alittle bit, hopefully he keeps that line of thinking on this other stuff

PPT = Private Party Transfer... 

California has this silly law that only certain PISTOLS can be sold by FFL's. This does not however prevent PPT's. If the pistol is somehow legally owned, the owner can do a PPT in a FTF (Face to Face) transaction. 

The G19 Gen4 and G43 are HIGHLY sought after by civilians in CA. Especially since they areally NOT on the approver list. Cops are exempt from the stupid list restrictions. Quite often a cop, or new resident from out of state, will unload their unwanted (off list) pistol... with a considerable mark up. 

I actually refuse to buy pistols that are named on the list;

1. I know my pistol will never deprecate in value.

2. If I do sell it, that'll put one more unapproved pistol into circulation. Further disproving the legitimacy of the law/restriction.