• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What's your CCW?

bandit10-4

• 2 weeks later...

I carry a full size Springfield Loaded Target 1911-A1 with a black stainless finish, Trijicon adjustable sights, Hogue grip, adjustable hi-speed match trigger. I carry two magazines; one being loaded with Hornady 200gr jacketed hollow points and the other magazine being loaded with Remington 230gr fmj.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been packing this bad boy for over 15 years, hence the 'scruffy' look! Colt 1991-A1 Compact in 45 ACP I bought new.

Mods;

checkered the frontstrap 30 LPI

opened the trigger slot up for a Gold Cup width trigger

Ed Brown beavertail grip safety

Wilson hammer and sear tuned to a slick 4# pull

Wilson full length guide rod kit & barrel bushing

Wilson extended thumb safety

MMC low profile fixed sights (these were a prototype set the owner of MMC, Bob Sconce, gave me shortly before his son took over the business)

Beveled mag well

Black-T finish

I did all the work myself except for the Black-T finish. That finish is some amazing stuff, self-lubricating corrosion resistant as hell! When I clean it I put one drop of oil on each slide rail and that's it for lube. As I said, I've been carrying it concealed for over 15 years here in the desert and it has never shown any signs of rust. Beware the man who carries only one gun, he probably shoots it very well!

post-1361-136297273619_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I hate that I can be such a gun snob, but I agree with Terry.

I'm not saying that you need a $3k Wilson Combat, but a good Sig or Springfield will run $700-$1200.

My Walther was a gift from the old man when I first got sworn in. My Springfield 1911 cost me a good mint. I trust the lives of my family with both of them.

that's too expensive for my taste lol

Whats your life worth?

Respectfully

Terry

I think the price of a reliable, well-built weapon is a worthwhile investment, but what you can afford is a first concern when you are deciding what weapon you want your life to depend on. As much as I respect reputation, it isn't the same as reliability. Reliability is a proportional quality for individual weapons, not brands or products. If your Kimber jams in the middle of a firefight and you get shot with a Hi-Point, reputation didn't get you killed, reliability did. With that said, I'm not staking my life on whether or not my gun is a reputable brand, I'll stake it on the hundreds or thousands of rounds that have proved the reliability of my weapon of choice.

My carry XDM 9mm,S&W bodyguard nothing fancy just dependable.9mm 1600 rds. 0 FTF 0 FTE brass mostly some steel.S&W just 500 rds. I still need more work with it, shorter sight radius.It's a pain in the ass but I try to keep a rd. count on all my firearms except .22's.

Friend Matt,

Friend Shoofly didn't say he couldn't afford it, he said it was a little expensive for his taste.

The first question I use to ask people who came into my gunsop, wanting to purchase a "self defense" gun, was the question ."Whats your life worth?"

That question  helped both the buyer, and the seller( me) decide what price range of weapon to look at.  Also I had to remind many of the cost of ammunition, to become and stay proficient with that weapon.

Yes, I lost some sales, because the customer decided that they just could not afford everything,  But I could go home and sleep at night, Knowing I had not sold a gun to the wrong person just for the money.

I don't rember who said it, but there is an old saying, " Ethics is what you do when no-one is looking."

By the way, my Kimber ultra carry II has had a little over 2,000 rounds through it, including some reloads, with 0 ftf. 0ftf and o fte.  My wifes solo has about 300 rounds through it, also with 0 on  failures.  And I just got another solo from a friend, and with 200 rds through it , also 0 failures.

When it comes to defending my family, the best is just barely good enough.

Respectfully

Terry

I don't want to give the impression that I'm just argumentive, I find your point of view to be very agreeable. I place a very high value upon my own life, but I have found that my life is much easier to protect with a weapon that I can afford to personally own. In my way of seeing it, there was a possibility he was trying to say the gun was too expensive for himself without bashing the cost of the weapon or the weapon in general. Now, I won't presume that soofley was trying to say nicely that he couldn't afford it, but I didn't rule it out as a possibility, and chose to play the devil's advocate a little bit. It is my opinion (and only that) that the best weapon to defend yourself with is the best one that you can afford. If it is too expensive, it's too expensive regardless of whether or not your personal taste is to blame. Just my .02 though.  :)

Both Solos came through regular dealers, not guns sent to wrighters, etc.

I can say with complete honesty that My wife and I have had NO failures with either gun, and both seem quite accurate.

As for my ultra carry II, no failures at all, even with some reloads thrown in the mix.

As far as accuracy, my wife bought a @6" plastic "bullett ball" and I have no problem keeping it bouncing out to 50 yds.

Respectfully

Terry