• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need 300 AAC suggestion

ecott

I'm new here (about a month or two ago anyway); the new messages come at a pace I can handle, so I try to keep up with new posts.

I'd like to build a 300 AAC AR-type rifle but need suggestions on where to start. Usage would be home/property self-defense (SHTF) so I hope it only gets target practice a couple times per year.

Here are a list of questions that I would like more info on:

• I'm thinking a short barrel rifle, but I have no idea on how short... 8-, 10-, 12-inch? Is there a compelling reason to pick one of these lengths in 300 AAC? Hopefully the SBR tax /stamp/whatever will go away someday soon; otherwise, I'm stuck with 16-inch.
  • What barrel twist rate? Will probably keep both super- and sub-sonic loads available, with preference for sub-sonic.
  • Looking at Aero Precision upper and lower pair since they advertise here - does anyone have anything to add to that?
  • Suggestions on sound-suppressor? (Another wait-and-see item)

I should probably be asking more questions but can't think of any more.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Here are the details and changes I made to my pistol build;

I went with the 10 1/2 inch barrel because the ballistics charts showed not much gained going past that. I went the pistol route mainly because Iowa does not allow SBR's. Even if it did I would start with a pistol so I could run it while going through the long wait for a stamp. I went with 1-8 twist simply because this is what Faxon put on the length I wanted, I couldn't find any info that screamed one was better than the other between 1-7 and 1-8. I went with the AAC SDN-6 suppressor, love it but have never used anything else, hell I've only used this one for a few days now. I have an AAC TiRant 45 stamp coming as well, I may use this suppressor on the 300BO because I can break it down and clean all the burnt powder up and it is a good bit lighter.

Thanks for all the great info - I'm feeling a little embarrassed for not actually seeing the 300 Blk forum :embarrassed:  There's a whole new world at the top of the forum hierarchy!

The pistol looks like a reasonable choice to start with, then change the lower (if it's legal - someday)...

I'll be reading the 300 blk forum soon :^)

Edited by ecott
closure of thought

Whatever barrel length you go with, use a pistol length gas system, especially if you plan on ever shooting subsonic. The gas system length is determined by where the gas port is drilled and the gas block mounts on the barrel and has nothing to do with whether the gun is configured as a pistol or rifle.

6 hours ago, Magwa said:

10 and 1/2 inch barrel ,pistol gas, adjustable gas block AAC brakeout muzzle device AAC 762sdn-6 Can   the rest of the parts you can choose....... :)

I went with a regular AAC flash hider but the rest of those specs are what I have. Everyone that shoots it gets a big grin, reliable, accurate, and very quiet!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 4:37 AM, Magwa said:

10 and 1/2 inch barrel ,pistol gas, adjustable gas block AAC brakeout muzzle device AAC 762sdn-6 Can   the rest of the parts you can choose....... :)

Dittos, I have a similar set up . The ACC team is great to work with as well.

• 7 months later...

Did you end up deciding on something? If not yet, I’d definitely go with a pistol in the 300BLK, don’t bother with an SBR... pistol gives you 90% of the functionality without all the hassle. 

IMG_0083.JPG

I built that one out of an Anderson lower I got on special for $45. Complete upper from Palmetto State was $250 IIRC... 8.5” barrel 1/7 twist.

One thing, you’re gonna need to know how to reload if you want to shoot bunches... ammo is sometimes hard to find and somewhat expensive. If you already reload .308, then there are wide variety of projectiles that can be shared between the platforms and used in Blackout as well.

So far I’ve loaded anything from 110 gr varmint bullets to 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to Hornady 155 gr, 168 gr and 208 gr HPBTs in both super and subsonic. .308 varmint bullets work well enough (but lack weight for some applications) while some of the other .308 bullets need some tweaking to work better at Blackout velocities.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got my 300 BLK pistol from a local dealer. Appears to be mostly Aero Precision parts (upper/lower) and not sure who makes the barrel (could be Aero). I keep on looking at it and wondering if it needs another cleaning :^)300BLK-AR.thumb.jpg.e42460d91a5b0dc67ede234dd1c0af3c.jpg

10" barrel with 1:7 twist, Magpul MBUS and grip, and weighs about 5.9 lbs. Will eventually get a suppressor and red-dot scope (most likely a Trijicon MRO that is on another rifle). Also, I want to get some unique, different-looking mags for it so I won't mix up 5.56 and 300 BLK

One feature I didn't know that the Aero lower had is a Tension Screw. Not sure I've set it up correctly, but there's very little play between the upper and lower (and I can still take out the pin).

Hope to take it out this weekend!

8 minutes ago, ecott said:

Finally got my 300 BLK pistol from a local dealer. Appears to be mostly Aero Precision parts (upper/lower) and not sure who makes the barrel (could be Aero). I keep on looking at it and wondering if it needs another cleaning :^)300BLK-AR.thumb.jpg.e42460d91a5b0dc67ede234dd1c0af3c.jpg

10" barrel with 1:7 twist, Magpul MBUS and grip, and weighs about 5.9 lbs. Will eventually get a suppressor and red-dot scope (most likely a Trijicon MRO that is on another rifle). Also, I want to get some unique, different-looking mags for it so I won't mix up 5.56 and 300 BLK

One feature I didn't know that the Aero lower had is a Tension Screw. Not sure I've set it up correctly, but there's very little play between the upper and lower (and I can still take out the pin).

Hope to take it out this weekend!

your sling is all wrong!! it needs to be a beachintatical.com sling! HAHAHA ?! hope it performs bro!  post up some targets? have a blast!

23 minutes ago, sketch said:

your sling is all wrong!! it needs to be a beachintatical.com sling! HAHAHA ?! hope it performs bro!  post up some targets? have a blast!

Definitely need to look some more at those slings! Their On Point slings look really great to use with this type of firearm...