• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Getting older

bubbas4570

I have lost 2 good friends from my buffalo shooting competition days within the past 2 weeks. I guess that is what is to be expected when we get older. I am only 46, but many of my friends in the shooting sports are older than myself.

It is just hard. 

Anytime, and I am sorry for your losses, and congratulations on your son. In one sentence you summed up the natural progression of life. I am at an age where I am starting to say goodbye to friends my own age, I guess after a while you accept that is the natural order of things, but you bever really get used to it.  Be glad you had them as friends for as long as you did. For some reason that thought helps me deal with it.

Yep keep your chin up.... We buried my Aunt on Tuesday...just went to her 100th birthday four months ago...she was a hoot !   she beat cancer she beat a bad heart...loss of hearing.talking to her was funny...lol ...you know what got her?   effin gravity ....she fell during the night...her daughters got over there called the emt's and she was doing good until about ten mins later,,, bleeding on the brain...my cousins that were with her said she was talking like it was no big deal on the way to the hospital....then it was like someone threw the off switch!

what a run she had !          Wash

I echo what everyone here has already said. I'm sorry for your losses, happy for your son, and pray for your strength as you move through these times. I'm about 10 years behind you, but know that sooner than I would like I will see more of what you are going through. Vent all you need to, this place is great for that as we have a little bit of everything here and this group has seen and been through it all collectively. 

Thank you guys.

There is a bit 'o Irish in me, and Dad liked to bring out that part of us. That sounds like one excellent idea.....

Just a bit more than i wanted right now I guess.  Boy, am I going to need that bike ride to Idaho in a week......

.....almost couldn't type that one.....

I guess part of what is happening is that we had Dad's funeral in early December, and the burial now. I just thought I had everything pretty much dealt with back then....I handled most of everything for my family and "stayed strong" back then.....   ?my turn now?

All you young whipper-snappers just need to quit thinking you are on your last legs and enjoy life. Hell go ahead and take a few risks.  Inhale! Have someone hold your beer and go ahead and try something!  Look who's talking. I messed up and broke a hip a couple days after getting my new M1A scoped and range ready and been in rehab. It will be a couple of weeks with a walker before I get to shoot it. Turned 80 in the hospital.

Live it up while you can.

13 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

All you young whipper-snappers just need to quit thinking you are on your last legs and enjoy life. Hell go ahead and take a few risks.  Inhale! Have someone hold your beer and go ahead and try something!  Look who's talking. I messed up and broke a hip a couple days after getting my new M1A scoped and range ready and been in rehab. It will be a couple of weeks with a walker before I get to shoot it. Turned 80 in the hospital.

Good advice. And Mac you are gonna like that M1A.

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Good advice. And Mac you are gonna like that M1A.

He can use it as a cane.:hornet:  I can poke fun because I can outrun him at the moment.

2 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Damn good advice to live by.:thumbup:

3 hours ago, mrmackc said:

For sure I went to Erie last year with a friend's uncle, after a few days of slamming fish he said to us in the boat "you boys are working on firsts, I'm on lasts, enjoy it while you can" I need to keep reminding myself that

6 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

Thank you guys.

There is a bit 'o Irish in me, and Dad liked to bring out that part of us. That sounds like one excellent idea.....

Just a bit more than i wanted right now I guess.  Boy, am I going to need that bike ride to Idaho in a week......

Cheers 

image.jpg

3 hours ago, mrmackc said:

MR Mac  you doing okay?  geez get well and do what the pt sez to do...give em more reps than they ask for....and get the heck out of there and get home!

Just msg me and ill come to your place and bring all the goodies  back to my place for safe keeping  ...get well brother          Wash    

I am home and doing home health care therapy going where I am allowed using a walker till I get enough healing time on the broken hip, actually the femur broke just below the hip joint, they put in a steel plate and screws, that takes longer to heal than a hip replacement. I go to outpatient therapy week after next.  Getting rid of the walker is my next goal.