• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

introduction - richyankee

richyankee

Greetings.

I just bought the first AR design rifle that I have had in my hands since 1971. It's a dpms oracle .308.

I had not been a very active shooter for quite a few years as my old shooting buddies either went away or stopped shooting - and all the other things e used to do together. I joined a club about 4 years ago and have finally started making use of the range.

I think I am there more than any but a very few recently (of course, I'm shooting a new toy or two).

Since I got old, my eyes don't work as well as they used to, so I have optics now (Never USED THEM on anything but a bolt action hunting rifle before didn't need them out to 200+.).

I've only read a few posts herein but I think there is a lot of knowledge here so I may be asking questions (newbie questions).

I also don't have an understanding of the politics here but that's kind of interesting if you want to know about me because - that is what got me interested in shooting and firearms ownership way back when there was an attempt to ban 'assault weapons' in my home state. I had just bought and AK and was having loads of fun with it (believe it or not - I only sold it in July after 28 years). Anyway, there were 700 of us that showed up to talk to the legislature about their ban. We ended up taking them out to a range and showing them all the friendly/unfriendly things they were so concerned about banning. The ban failed.

Anyway - that's where I'm coming from. Right now I'm working on my skills and trying to figure out why I can shoot a group half the size of my ar 308 groups with an K (virtually teh same optics). Granted, I'm just getting things under control with both rifles

Cheers,

Rich

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 12:01 AM, richyankee said:

Everbee to Sierra Vista?

Schools there since '93, short periods.  Stationed there from '04~'07.  Being stationed there is what made me toss retirement paperwork.  Beautiful area, but too close to the Flag Pole.  I hate headquarters-type asslickers.  Too many of them there.  Suckups and shiitheads. 

Moved back there (because of the area, and retired) from 2010~2013.  I still love the area, and the base elevation of 4,600 feet.  Javelina are plentiful there.  The Huachuca Mountains are completely awesome.  Love 'em.