Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit AR15 Builder
  • Visit
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
richyankee

before I get to that barrel

Recommended Posts

I am starting to improve my DPMS Oracle for mostly target shooting. I plan to shoot 300 yards in the spring but whatever shooting I do between now and then will be mostly imited to 100 - 200 yards.

I have a good trigger now and with a little more than 100 rounds with that, I amd about to improve my sighhting with a Burris 3-9x Fullfield E1. (ballistic plex reticle).

Thinkingand reading here about mounts and rings, I think it comes down to three choices:

- Burris PEPR mount

- Aero Precsion SPR mount

- Burrs XTR rings

I have an set of Hawke rings  right now (which are a little high) and I will set the the scope up with those to get some practice and first impressions.

I've been reading here to see what you guys have been using and talking about. The mounts I'm looking at are all within my budget, saving some for a nice barrel project later this winter, or possibly reloading.

Anybody have an opinion about these mounts for my rifle/situation?

Thanks,

Rich

Liberty or Death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I find for myself , the one piece mounts don't work for me, all too low , but I have several sets of the Burris XTR Rings & they are built like Tanks .

 I just installed a set of the Leapers POI Ring sets on my Wife's Carbine & they are well made , nice looking Rings & made in the USA .

 Some really like the one piece Mounts . You cant go wrong with Burris Scopes or Rings , I have a bunch of Burris Scopes & love all of them . I have an 2x7x35 E1 with the E1 reticle & its great . I also like the Ballistic Flex . 

Edited by survivalshop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive read more than a few people having issues with the PEPR  mount. It is china made if that has any weight in your decision.  Rings generally have more height options if you know EXACTLY where you want your scope. Warne QD rings are pretty nice as well. Ive had good experience with ADM lately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, blue109 said:

Ive read more than a few people having issues with the PEPR  mount. It is china made if that has any weight in your decision.  Rings generally have more height options if you know EXACT wherere you want your scope. Warne QD rings are pretty nice as well. Ive had good experience with ADM lately. 

Rich...Ive got the PEPR sitting in the trash pile...they suk like Blue stated........For a nice inexpensive mount look up the Nikons some already have 20 moa built in...I like em always hold zero  m-308 mount forward lean to them...they work...so do Vortex mounts for the AR....check those out they are solid mounts......    Wash

heres vortex they have    different styles   https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-30mm-cantilever-riflescope-ring-mount-for-ar-15.html

heres the Nikon simplistic rock steady    https://shop.opticsplanet.com/nikon-m-series-mount-30mm.html?_iv_code=NI-MT-839&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZjN3cfz1wIVyIqzCh3xzw2QEAQYBCABEgIsifD_BwE

 

Rock River works too  its a highrise

         https://www.opticsplanet.com/rock-river-arms-ar0131t-30mm-base-highrise-for-rifle-barrel-cantilever-black.html

your head/face would have to be like Lurch for any of these not to work    :laffs:

Edited by washguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, survivalshop said:

  I find for myself , the one piece mounts don't work for me, all too low , but I have several sets of the Burris XTR Rings & they are built like Tanks .

 I just installed a set of the Leapers POI Ring sets on my Wife's Carbine & they are well made , nice looking Rings & made in the USA .

 Some really like the one piece Mounts . You cant go wrong with Burris Scopes or Rings , I have a bunch of Burris Scopes & love all of them . I have an 2x7x35 F1 with the E1 reticle & its great . I also like the Ballistic Flex . 

I'm going to look at all those rings and a couple of others that were identified here. Thanks. I'm not happy if I don't have a problem (the nature of an engineer I guess), so I am happy to have a few things to examine and think about...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, blue109 said:

Ive read more than a few people having issues with the PEPR  mount. It is china made if that has any weight in your decision.  Rings generally have more height options if you know EXACTLY where you want your scope. Warne QD rings are pretty nice as well. Ive had good experience with ADM lately. 

thanks for telling me about the PEPR issues, I will avoid that. I guess there are a few rings to look at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my list grew - not a bad ting - I can think about a few things while I play around with this idea:

Burris XTR rings

Warne QD rings

ADM

Leapers POI rings

RRA one piece

Nikon M series

Vortex (how'd they get in there again?)

More to learn. I'll thank you alll again and will post some range result. I'm still just getting used to the Larue trigger and that so far has been a good experience, which is what brought me back to the vision part of this.

Liberty or Death

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and aero precision... (for some reason, I have a bias toward them, probably from watching a lot of youtube videos - a questionable application of technology)

 

T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richyankee said:

Warne QD rings

 

1 hour ago, edgecrusher said:

ADM and LaRue mounts

 Yes on both , I have a couple sets of the Warne QD & love them & their fixed sets also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 12:59 PM, washguy said:

Rich...Ive got the PEPR sitting in the trash pile...they suk like Blue stated........For a nice inexpensive mount look up the Nikons some already have 20 moa built in...I like em always hold zero  m-308 mount forward lean to them...they work...so do Vortex mounts for the AR....check those out they are solid mounts......    Wash

heres vortex they have    different styles   https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-30mm-cantilever-riflescope-ring-mount-for-ar-15.html

heres the Nikon simplistic rock steady    https://shop.opticsplanet.com/nikon-m-series-mount-30mm.html?_iv_code=NI-MT-839&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZjN3cfz1wIVyIqzCh3xzw2QEAQYBCABEgIsifD_BwE

 

Rock River works too  its a highrise

         https://www.opticsplanet.com/rock-river-arms-ar0131t-30mm-base-highrise-for-rifle-barrel-cantilever-black.html

your head/face would have to be like Lurch for any of these not to work    :laffs:

I sold my PEPR too couldn’t get a good sight picture thru it had to hold my head funky, hated it. First I thought it was the bargain vortex scope I got, that wasn’t it glad I didn’t sell it too. bought the Nikon mount 1000x better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shepp said:

I sold my PEPR too couldn’t get a good sight picture thru it had to hold my head funky, hated it. First I thought it was the bargain vortex scope I got, that wasn’t it glad I didn’t sell it too. bought the Nikon mount 1000x better

you didnt tell me it was messed up.. i havent had a scope for it yet any way. i like my other perp mount its cranked on tight though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sketch said:

you didnt tell me it was messed up.. i havent had a scope for it yet any way. i like my other perp mount its cranked on tight though..

I don’t think it was messed up I think it was the hieght and I’m pretty sure I told you that 🤭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rich not to be contrary, but the standard PEPR mounts have worked for me, just don’t get the quick detach one, as they loosen up and don’t return to zero. I actually had a Burriss 3x9Fullfield in a standard PEPR mount on my AR10T carbine for several years, and it worked quite well. The Fullfield is now on my M1A and a Primary Arms 1x6 sits in the PEPR mount on my AR10T. The RRA 1piece mount is also excellent as I have that with a big Nikon scope on another rifle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, shepp said:

I don’t think it was messed up I think it was the hieght and I’m pretty sure I told you that 🤭

just razzing ya bro 😁

 

12 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Rich not to be contrary, but the standard PEPR mounts have worked for me, just don’t get the quick detach one, as they loosen up and don’t return to zero. I actually had a Burriss 3x9Fullfield in a standard PEPR mount on my AR10T carbine for several years, and it worked quite well. The Fullfield is now on my M1A and a Primary Arms 1x6 sits in the PEPR mount on my AR10T. The RRA 1piece mount is also excellent as I have that with a big Nikon scope on another rifle.

my other is a qd and is not coming off.. :hornet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

308AR is a big boy rifle - I like the idea of making them run - and turning cover into concealment.

I had to look at some of the more pricey options, knowing that I'm a lot more likely to get something for < $100. It does make sense to get equipment better than my eyes and my skills - but I don't have to go far to get there...

I've given myself two rounds of obsession over this already. Burris Signature rings would give me some amusing trig problems to work on, but I really want to shoot better consistently so it would be a diversion (I don't think I need to add or subtract 40+ MOA in the mount to make my shots work). In the next round, I had to know about LaRue, ADM and Bobro and I eventually found some test results on RTZ - all of those and a couple of others performed well on the test. I've seen a bunch of yt vids on mounting and LR shooting.

I just ordered and Aero Precision ultralight mount for the Burris scope. I expect it won't be the last. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a LaRue, then I noticed I'm not the only one here who wants things. So I think there is one of those in the future for me. Also a barrel upgrade, when I can shoot a little better than my 16" DPMS.

Thanks a=for all the ideas and facts. I admit I was completely scared off of the PEPR.

If it ever gets warm enough - I'll go out and shoot .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×