• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

EDC Flashlights?, by Brother Jacob

jtallen83

im pocket heavey at work with tool bags and such but my bro has been packing the olight brand for years.. i saw that brand in the comments and ive yet to purchase a pocket light or a holster.. but yes i do need a light.. the strobe function with the high lumen will disorent a perp and give you valuable seconds to draw or seek cover.. try it !

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

I go streamlight. I used to carry surefires when the military provided me with batteries, but a nice rechargeable streamlight is my light of choice. 

My Surefire Titan uses a rechargeable battery. I have Streamlights in my go bags and all the vehicle glove boxes  but use 123's in them. They don't get regular use so I figure the ten year shelf life is worth the extra cost. No doubt if I had to regularly use a light like you then a rechargeable would be a must.

Bought one of these for my grandaughters keychain when Surefire had them on sale before christmas, very impressive amount of light and rechargeable.

http://www.surefire.com/sidekick.html

Edited by jtallen83
missed link

Been pretty happy with fenix lights so far, and my one call to their customer service was great. They swapped out an old model with a new model no questions asked when it developed some button issues. Im sold on rechargables and dont plan on buying handhelds that dont use them anymore. I use to try and conserve my lights because 123s and high lumen gets expensive. Its nice to not care and just swap out soon as it starts to dim. I keep an older streamlight  (TL2 i think) in my work vest. It is a simple on-of button and also has the "safe-run" bezel so it wont accidently click on. Very handy feature for a utility light. I like a high lumen handheld and a med lumen weapon light. I have a 160 and 300 lum TLR-1 on my main pistols and HD carbine. Have zero interest in the 800. Sometimes the 300 seems like overkill. I imagine the big lumen lights would be better on a patrol/outdoor carbine but that just isnt a role I need filled. I hate strobe for anything but signalling and getting attention...but even in that situation a solid beam or a few pulses gets attention just as well. Also 900 lumen solid beam in the face is much more disorienting than a strobe....the strobe makes them blink and get annoyed. Head shot makes them put their head down, and they are momentarily blinded even after its off. that is my experience working in crowded dark noisy environments weekend after weekend. far as im concerned strobe is just a distraction and id rather not have the feature. Im with jacob and agree with simple on-off is the way to go for defensive lights. Work lights are nice to have a high and low setting. 

I’m looking for somthing to carry on my belt next to my leatherman, mini mags just do not hold up somthing gets messed up in the switch or contacts where it gets real finicky to turn on. Don’t need anything fancy and needs to be belt carry or I’ll lose the sob 

I have three Fenix pd35's and one Thrunite TN11S. 

All were under $55, a few years ago but prices seem to have gone up, and I can't find the Thrunite model anymore, it's my favorite. All take the rechargeable 18650 batteries. 

Both are just under or above 1k lumens.

Edited by AngelDeVille

Angel, any more issues with the KSG? It has been on my list to buy for a long time. 

19 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

My Surefire Titan uses a rechargeable battery. I have Streamlights in my go bags and all the vehicle glove boxes  but use 123's in them. They don't get regular use so I figure the ten year shelf life is worth the extra cost. No doubt if I had to regularly use a light like you then a rechargeable would be a must.

Bought one of these for my grandaughters keychain when Surefire had them on sale before christmas, very impressive amount of light and rechargeable.

http://www.surefire.com/sidekick.html

Yeah I am all for the rechargeable batteries. I like the streamlight ones because my agency provides them. ;)

31 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

also 1 is never enough.

Amen, two is one and one is none!

Those of you using rechargeables, how long can they sit and still have a good charge? 

I like rechargable for the everyday light but went with the 123's in the glove box and go bag lights so I knew they would be good for years. I also keep lots of spare batteries, anywhere there is something that uses a battery I have spares stashed in these type cases and of course some grips that will hold them;

https://www.amazon.com/CR123-battery-case-holds-batteries/dp/B006NY5HOG

Edited by jtallen83
format

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Those of you using rechargeables, how long can they sit and still have a good charge? 

I have had mine for a couple years now, I just tossed a few of em that were sitting, on the charger in the last couple months.

They didn't seem to need much charging after two years.

I have two that live on firearms and two I use regularly.

Edited by AngelDeVille

6 hours ago, unforgiven said:

That's cool I have CR123's.

they make rechargable cr123's also i have a nightcore recharger and a 500 lumen ( max) head lamp that takes 2 cr123's or a rechargable comparable.. im not fully on with the batery size but the cordless 18 volt bats have like 4- 6 rechargable bats in them.. tear one apart and keep them charging on.. i have yet to try it? check the recycle bin at your hardware store for old 18 volt lithium ion bats.. some one can school me here.. but my bro says it works? 

2 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

what I need is a good flashlight with a red lens to not kill my nightvision at night and not attract a lot of attention. 

Check out some of the Surefire kits on ebay. I got one for $100 that has red,blue, yellow, infrared, and diffuser lenses. They are older incandescent military issue but still top quality. If you watch for them they go cheaper than this;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surefire-M962-Combat-Weapon-light-kit/142636608712?hash=item2135cdecc8:g:2nMAAOSw8b1aGsnX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUREEFIRE-FLASH-light-KIT-FM13-FM14-FM15-FM16-FM17-FILTER-LAMP/272544969037?hash=item3f74f2314d:g:HCUAAOSw9GhYlPCX

Edited by jtallen83