• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Light weight parts

lilmidtown

This is a constant topic, “how to make the fat chick ready for ballet dancing”... the truth is, and what steers most away from the task, of you want it done right... you have to drop $$$. 

The easiest way to drop lbs is in:

1. barrel: get yourself a 16” Faxon Big Gunner

2. handguard: Apex CNC is under 1 lbs

3. BCG: JP LMOS with adj GB and SCS Buffer

4. Stock: MFT Minimalist or AB Arms USS

these four options will drop close to two pounds from most rifles. The next thing would be, don’t pile a bunch of useless shit on your rifle... like pointless fuckin backup sights. A simple change that won’t be much actual weight, but a considerable amount of “perceived weight” would be a lightweight muzzle device. They can be a bit pricey, but a Ti muzzle device feels significantly different than a steel one.

We have a couple guys here that hunt with 8 lbs rifles, loaded and kit’d up. It’s not hard to do. It also depends on the “look” you are going for. Ultra-lightweight parts are generally made of carbonfiber, so you have to be comfortable with that Ferrari-gun look. 

I have a growing box of MBUS sights. They are almost weightless, and I still won’t use them. I came to the realization with my Troy Battle Sights. I had them installed for YEARS and never used them once. Why did I have $200 back up sights??? If my primary optic died, I’ll just change guns or go home. 

I’m not saying there isn’t a time and place. I just don’t think 99% of the rifles out there qualify for the need. 

15 hours ago, Magwa said:

:thumbup:,great advice on a great topic by a couple of great folks here heed their warning this black hole has no bottom getting weight off of these fat chicks is a addiction..... but a fun one....

This guy... owner of one of the most functional and lightweight .308 rifles in this group... and he has a freezer to prove it. 

On March 30, 2018 at 6:30 AM, washguy said:

heres the way to get rid of cash and weight at the same time       Wash

https://2a-arms.com/                                          https://2a-arms.com/collections/lightweight-receivers/products/xanthos-lite-large-frame-receiver-set

I thought you were going to give a link to a divorce attorney. Most guys can drop 120-160 pounds and half their paycheck for a while...almost overnight. 

23 minutes ago, DNP said:

I thought you were going to give a link to a divorce attorney. Most guys can drop 120-160 pounds and half their paycheck for a while...almost overnight. 

That costs a lot more than a 6# rifle but most of the time it’s money well spent.:laffs:

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:13 PM, DNP said:

Ha :laffs:  been there more than once!     :thumbup:    Wash

On 3/29/2018 at 7:06 PM, terrt_tr6 said:

Lets see if i have this right.

I need to spend quite a few bucks trimming maybe 2 pounds off my rifle to make it easier to carry in the field and help offset that 30 lbs of emergency rations i keep safely stored under my belt....

By George I think he's got It! and I do recommend apex hand guards... .

One may alternatively state for less money and more exertion.. two pounds more may be less noticed, if the wielder of said battle rifle were to begin doing body weight squats, lunges and lifting ten pound dumbbells.

Magwa, how does your rifle recoil?

The original AI ar10 was like 8-9lbs and considered very light when compared by the standard of m14 and FAL.

One last.. 'pointed poke' would be, how are the lightweight receivers and other components holding up? The best mention of the thread I saw was 50/50 for the titanium muzzle device or the feather weight float tube. My personal experience is weight bias or 'balance' versus 'scale weight'.

Of course, my wife complains about her 36DDD bra's.. so weight is a perspective.

=D

3 hours ago, Floydieguns said:

. two pounds more may be less noticed, if the wielder of said battle rifle were to begin doing body weight squats, lunges and lifting ten pound dumbbells.

Bullchit, two pounds is two pounds. In the best shape of my life I can tell you every pound was felt and every effort was made to loose that pound if possible. Recoil is a moot point on a hunting rifle, you aren't going to shoot enough for it to matter.

Jtallen83 you are a finely tuned scale. The original post never classified 'hunting rifle'. I acknowledge that yes, in hunting use less weight is better. Defeats the purpose of an automatic rifle. Most bolt rifles have integral magazine wells which retain 2-3 follow up shots.

Now, that said - there has been the quadriplegic chairs and automated systems.. which is a whole new subject.

Ask anyone who has used a LW(aluminum) commander 1911, comparing it to a steel receiver. There is a noticed difference in recoil.

Washguy she has triple D's. The only time I have doubles is when she lays them on me. ;-) you guys are cute.