• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Noticed something

lilmidtown

Okay so today I shot 7.62-51 m80 ball 147 grain brass cased fmj ammo as campared to the federal deer hunting .308 ammo I usually shoot .bthe holes we're so much smaller then the deer ammo . So my question is is this ammo pretty much only good for target shooting is doesn't seem like it would be good for hunting or home defense certainly if shtf all ammo is useful just want some opinions on it is all .

Edited by lilmidtown

Give brands of ammo. You didn't.Who made the M80 ball that you were shooting" "federal deer hunting .308 ammo" could be ANYTHING.  What Federal ammo was it?  Post pictures of the box of it if you can't recall the specific type...

Edited by 98Z5V

54 minutes ago, lilmidtown said:

And the 7.62-51 was milsurp ammo

WHO MADE IT?...   Belgian, Paraguay, German, US, French, South African, South American... ??? 

Check it - I straight asked you this question...

Give brands of ammo. You didn't.Who made the M80 ball that you were shooting

WTF, guy?...

^^^  Same in AZ. No FMJ ammo for hunting. It's even in the coyote regs, specifically, that way, so we can't even use it on coyotes, here.  My go-to was 70gr TSX in 5.56.  Now, with the new calibers, I don't even want to take a 5.56 gun with me anymore.  I didn't even get the chance to hunt the 25-45, and I did a damn Grendel...  Now, I don't want to take the 25-45 out!...   Fuckin' sickness...

Edited by 98Z5V

I loaded up 313 of those 25-45 rounds yesterday, brother. I must smash a coyote with that thing. I won't feel whole again until I do. I'm running out of coyote time down here, too, so I need to do it quick. Summer sucks for coyotes, but it's not out of the question - I'll just be out there at 3am, setting up and getting ready, and hunting right at sunrise. Right after sunrise, it's100 degrees out... Fuk me...

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I loaded up 313 of those 25-45 rounds yesterday, brother. I must smash a coyote with that thing. I won't feel whole again until I do. I'm running out of coyote time down here, too, so I need to do it quick. Summer sucks for coyotes, but it's not out of the question - I'll just be out there at 3am, setting up and getting ready, and hunting right at sunrise. Right after sunrise, it's100 degrees out... Fuk me...

I wanna whack some yotes with my arak 

On 4/1/2018 at 7:43 PM, lilmidtown said:

Okay so today I shot 7.62-51 m80 ball 147 grain brass cased fmj ammo as campared to the federal deer hunting .308 ammo I usually shoot .bthe holes we're so much smaller then the deer ammo . So my question is is this ammo pretty much only good for target shooting is doesn't seem like it would be good for hunting or home defense certainly if shtf all ammo is useful just want some opinions on it is all .

80-90% of your questions can be answered by researching and opening the different topics in this forum. It seems like you want to be spoon fed everything. This forum has every answer you need , but dig around first.

I think he means Malaysian ? OK hunting lesson #1 never hunt anything except predators with FMJ ammo #2 always buy 1st class hunting ammo their is a huge difference between cheap hunting ammo and top tier ammo like Barnes TTSX for 308 get the 168 it kills animals quick and it never comes apart like cheap white tail ammo that contains a lead mix, #3 once you find the ammo for your gun stick with it buy enough at the same time to hunt for 5 or 6 years or the components to load that ammo .

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 11:01 PM, C Funnk said:

80-90% of your questions can be answered by researching and opening the different topics in this forum. It seems like you want to be spoon fed everything. This forum has every answer you need , but dig around first.

Or I like discussion for experienced 308 shooter's. Sorry I figured people in this forum would enjoy discussing guns hence the reason I joined. If I wanted to just read about the poop I can do that anywhere on the web . That's not directed at everyone on here either most have been friendly and willing to help instead of acting like it's some awful thing I asked about something I didn't know. So please tell me what I should be doing on this forum since clearly you don't like me asking any questions ?

On 4/3/2018 at 7:17 AM, Magwa said:

I think he means Malaysian ? OK hunting lesson #1 never hunt anything except predators with FMJ ammo #2 always buy 1st class hunting ammo their is a huge difference between cheap hunting ammo and top tier ammo like Barnes TTSX for 308 get the 168 it kills animals quick and it never comes apart like cheap white tail ammo that contains a lead mix, #3 once you find the ammo for your gun stick with it buy enough at the same time to hunt for 5 or 6 years or the components to load that ammo .

Very helpful I appreciate it I was looking at some Hornady ammo for hunting but I'll try the brand you suggested out to I'll save the 7.62 stuff for target shooting and having fun at the range 

1 hour ago, lilmidtown said:

Or I like discussion for experienced 308 shooter's. Sorry I figured people in this forum would enjoy discussing guns hence the reason I joined. If I wanted to just read about the poop I can do that anywhere on the web . That's not directed at everyone on here either most have been friendly and willing to help instead of acting like it's some awful thing I asked about something I didn't know. So please tell me what I should be doing on this forum since clearly you don't like me asking any questions ?

You're good, man - don't sweat it.  Don't go anywhere - stay and have fun. :thumbup:

Fwiw. FMJ has been taking out the worlds greatest predators for decades. Don’t detract from its lethality. It does the job, and does it well, as long as the shooter does his/her job as well. 

That being said... I do love me some Hornady AMAX!!! I don’t care what caliber it comes in. 

On 4/12/2018 at 1:15 AM, ARTrooper said:

what are you planning on hunting? at what range? in what conditions (think woods, open fields, etc)?

Wasn't really planning on hunting with the mil surp just trying to figure out what purpose it's going to serve which I'm thinking is range and practice ammo

24 minutes ago, lilmidtown said:

Wasn't really planning on hunting with the mil surp just trying to figure out what purpose it's going to serve which I'm thinking is range and practice ammo

Best advice to be given is to try multiple cartridges from different makers and different weight bullets. If you’re just punching paper then FMJ is totally fine. Generalities can be made about ammunition but barrels can be particular about how well they shoot any given ammo.

Sometimes you get lucky and the first thing you try works well. Other times you just keep trying until you find what works for your system.