• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New from the PNW, rear sight problem

Dreamsinger

I'm from the Seattle area and new to the AR10. I got it as an adjunct to my M1A. I put mine together from a PSA complete upper and a separate complete lower. I ordered it with an A2 gas block front sight and put a UTG rear sight on the Pic rail. Apparently the UTG sits too low and the sight post on the A2 isn't tall enough. Pic rail risers look like an afterthought and I haven't found a taller front sight post. Any advise? Thanks!

PIcs of the current configuration will help tremendously.  Get some pics up, and we'll be able to work through it.

Lived in Tacoma area for 12 years.   Miss the area, and don't miss the current politics not one bit.  Would love to go back one day, but never can - not with the LibTards over-running everything there, and just ruining the place.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 2:34 PM, 98Z5V said:

PIcs of the current configuration will help tremendously.  Get some pics up, and we'll be able to work through it.

Lived in Tacoma area for 12 years.   Miss the area, and don't miss the current politics not one bit.  Would love to go back one day, but never can - not with the LibTards over-running everything there, and just ruining the place.

Sorry for the delay, I've been preoccupied with the sights on another 3 rifles. The front sight base to the top of the .750" dia barrel is 1.98".  The sight post is a KNS tall that's raised almost past the detent and it's peeking above the ears. The rear sight is cranked all the way down. I'm shooting at 50 yards and hitting 5 moa high. I don't know of a taller FSB.

20180619_173748.jpg

20180619_173605.jpg

20180619_173710.jpg

Is that an "F marked" front sight base?   The numbers agree, but check it.

Don't be afraid to crank that sight up = it looks pretty flush in the pics.  It can go up.  :thumbup:

You also have an elevation drum on your rear sight.  Hit that thing first - very first.  Can it go down anymore?

FORS. "Front Opposite, Rear Same." 

You can also search out this Bushmaster front sight post - see if it's taller than your KNS that you've got.

front-sight-posts.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Is that an "F marked" front sight base?   The numbers agree, but check it.

Don't be afraid to crank that sight up = it looks pretty flush in the pics.  It can go up.  :thumbup:

You also have an elevation drum on your rear sight.  Hit that thing first - very first.  Can it go down anymore?

FORS. "Front Opposite, Rear Same." 

You can also search out this Bushmaster front sight post - see if it's taller than your KNS that you've got.

front-sight-posts.jpg

Thanks. The FSB is not "F" marked but when I ordered one it was identical in all respects to the one in the picture. The KNS post I have is the same height as the Bushmaster and is very close to being raised past the detent. Is there such a thing as a taller detent?? The rear sight is cranked ALL the way DOWN. That was the first thing I did. I've become a little obsessive about iron sights lately. I stripped the scopes off all my rifles and have been on a tear to get the irons as good as as possible. Thanks to NoDak Spud and a little machining my 10/22 Target and my Savage A22 Magnum (didn't come with factory sights) greatly expanded my ability to shoot accurately at greater distances. My M1A SOCOM is still a work in progress. The sights Springfield installed are worthless beyond bayonet distance. I installed a Tech Sights front sight designed for the M1A Scout, tapped the rear sight aperture to 1/4-32 and have been using Holley main jets in various sizes. 

That specific rear sight might be the issue here.  Hate to say that, but try another rear sight setup.  That's gonna be the only way to verify.  You shouldn't have this much trouble with irons, and that's the only thing that I can see that might be the very reason for all this... 

13 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That specific rear sight might be the issue here.  Hate to say that, but try another rear sight setup.  That's gonna be the only way to verify.  You shouldn't have this much trouble with irons, and that's the only thing that I can see that might be the very reason for all this... 

I tried a MagPul popup. even taller. I tried a UTG compact, WAY too short. The more I research the more it's apparent that the AR10's relative lack of milspec standard is the culprit and that the industry doesn't think enough of us actually use iron sights to make a change. The cure is a long rail so as to be on a common plane but since I just ordered wood furniture for mine I don't want to go that route.

1 hour ago, Dreamsinger said:

I tried a MagPul popup. even taller. I tried a UTG compact, WAY too short. The more I research the more it's apparent that the AR10's relative lack of milspec standard is the culprit and that the industry doesn't think enough of us actually use iron sights to make a change. The cure is a long rail so as to be on a common plane but since I just ordered wood furniture for mine I don't want to go that route.

Like to see pics of the wood furniture. Thinking of that for my Armalite AR10 rifle.

1 hour ago, Dreamsinger said:

Measure the rear tang on your upper, and see if that thing is the DPMS-High or DPMS-Low upper.  There's a 0.060" difference in the two.

https://troyind.com/sites/troyind.com/files/rtc-attachments/DPMS_RECEIVERS_COMPARE.pdf

DPMShigh.png

39 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Measure the rear tang on your upper, and see if that thing is the DPMS-High or DPMS-Low upper.  There's a 0.060" difference in the two.

https://troyind.com/sites/troyind.com/files/rtc-attachments/DPMS_RECEIVERS_COMPARE.pdf

DPMShigh.png

Mine measures .198"  (It's a PSA, not a DPMS). The pin on the rear sight base sits around .065" into the rail slot which is .120" deep. If milled the tang down to .150" up to the second bar on the rail would there be enough of the rail for the sight to grab it securely? Hmmm.