• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I am Willbird :-)

willbird

Born William Earl D**** III, go by Bill usually....but have been called some other stuff, willbird kind of stuck on the net back about 1992. Grew up deep in the gun culture...dad was a gun nut, my Grandpa was not, he was a 1 shotgun 1 rifle kinda guy. Shot Jr rifle 22 as a kid and graduated to highpower as a Jr shooter. Had a DCM welded selector M14 NM that was loaned out to dad on paper but I treated it as mine and took it everywhere I went once I got my drivers license. Graduated to bolt action 308 match rifle eventually, then set that aside once I hit 21 or so.

I have played with guns all my life really, handguns and rifles, if they are not accurate and do not shoot to point of aim I'm not much interested. First rifle I ever fit and chambered a barrel too is a 6-284 with 1/8 twist, built on a 40X C action, in a McMillon stock, used a Hart barrel. Honest 1/4 MOA rifle with dead solid POI...I bought a gloss Leopold 6.5x20x40 scope on the net, one of the ugly ones with the finish worn off and some ring marks for like $200, set it up zeroed at 100 with 3/4 of the elevation adj avail, painted it camo Krylon and used it for 23 years...in that time "zeroing" it has meant moving that scope literally one click...it holds zero like it should :-). Using a fast 6mm will spoil you....the .224 stuff seems wimpy afterwards :-). This rifle is a tight neck chamber too, requires neck turning brass. 

I have a 22-250AI I built with 1/14 twist shilen barrel.. I have shot it into the high .1's with 55 grain nosler ballistic tips..it is a tight neck chamber as well, WW brass you can get it into there for the first firing then turn it to .248 neck loaded round...some other brass is too thick. The action is a rem 700 but the prior owner put a custom bolt in it that has a model 70 post 64 style sliding extractor...Burns bolt maybe, and it has a 2oz trigger, sets in a McMillon Hunter BR stock.

I had an AR way back in 92....Olympic arms lower maybe, HBAR upper with 1/7 govt barrel, chrome lined. Sold it off a few years later to free some funds up, but some recent introspection reveals that I rarely get attached to a rifle I bought as a rifle :-)...I typically built them up from parts. That gun the lower come from one guy, the upper from another, and the BCG came from a friend in Alaska.

So fast forward however many years from 1994 to 2018...No AR in the family, and really not a single rifle around that fired SAAMI ammo..except a few M44 carbines..I did/do have API and APIT ammo for those so they have some good qualities but. The situation where the guy was shooting up the church, and the other guy grabbed an AR, a handful of ammo, and ran out in his bare feet to stop it kind of galvanized me.

I grabbed a few 80% lowers intending to make an AR. Ordered a PSA faux dissy 16" MOE kit.....work went nuts for some 7 day a week stuff, still is really...so I bought an Anderson lower and completed that rifle. And if 1 is good, well more are better :-). I built a 357 AR upper for Ohio Deer.

Then a pencil 16" semi lightweight setup...used a faxon 16" pencil on that, I like it more every time I shoot it :-).

finished up the 80% recce and added a 10.5" pistol brace kit to one of them.

Still defining myself because even though they all fire SAAMI ammo, not a single one left a store as a "rifle" :-).

Grabbed a 20" 224 Valkyrie free float upper too, have dies, brass, bullets....have not shot it yet. 

PSA ran a daily deal on a complete PA10 lower, Magpul, EPT 159 shipped....so I grabbed one, now it is time for a 308. Kind have a hankering to build a 7.5" pistol brace **10 too, will probably have to make the barrel for that one :-). Departed friend had a HK51 machine gun that was fun to shoot...so the 7.5" can create the same effect in semi auto :-).

I think it shoots great. I have not went nuts with trying to get down to 1/4 MOA or anything. I have one of the Burris AR332 3X scopes on it. At 75 yards (you will see that distance a lot in my post because my backyard range easily achieves 75 and 100 requires moving the bench every time I shoot) it seems to hover around an inch with the el cheapo federal 55 grain fmj ammo. Within that inch will be tighter clusters too :-). I have not shot any extended strings to look for walk with barrel heating either. But I’m over joyed so far :-).

Welcome, man - I feel like I know you already...   :laffs:

I have that same 16" pencil barrel from Faxon, in a 5.4lb rifle.  Love it.  Even if you get on it, you feel the heat in the freefloat tube get quite hot, but it doesn't string out on you.  Great barrel.