• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gettin' Reti for a Yeti...... .358

Boot_Scraper

So now I gotta get back into reloading?  well at least if I do Ill be safer ...cause I used to reload while smoking my cigar......set the whole floor under the workbench into a sparkler lightshow.....there was prolly 2 years of powder drops and stuff down there....I quit doing that... remember safety first!        :thumbup:   Wash

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stumbled on this old thread which sounds as if the original poster is the guy from Mad Dog Weapon Systems. 

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/358-yeti-my-first-wildcat-adventure.781855/

He talks about the metallurgy of the bolt and trying to solve the .308 case rim in a AR15 bolt problem.  The thread just ends and seems to have been locked.  Maybe they never did figure out the proper metallurgy for the bolt which may explain why everything 358 Yeti related is out of stock. 

2 hours ago, dpete said:

I stumbled on this old thread which sounds as if the original poster is the guy from Mad Dog Weapon Systems. 

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/358-yeti-my-first-wildcat-adventure.781855/

He talks about the metallurgy of the bolt and trying to solve the .308 case rim in a AR15 bolt problem.  The thread just ends and seems to have been locked.  Maybe they never did figure out the proper metallurgy for the bolt which may explain why everything 358 Yeti related is out of stock. 

I contacted MDWS, next batch of barrels and extensions is on the way. I've been watching and researching this round for over a year and have yet to find a report of a bad bolt. That's not to say that they don't break, just saying I have not come across evidence of it happening. Actually there ain't much evidence of anything. Almost like an "actual yeti". 

At this point I'm all in though. Got everything in the safe, just waiting to order the barrel and bolt. 

Found this nifty lil brass cutting jig. Got it on the bench waiting as well. Might start choppin my stash of CBC brass after deer season. 

@dpete

@washguy

@98Z5V

@bubbas4570

Just got word from MDWS would be down for a group buy deal on the .358 Yeti barrels and bolts. @Robocop1051, if that's cool with you.

Lemme know who's in. He said ship date is looking like March. Step right up folks! 

Edited by Boot_Scraper

52 minutes ago, Boot_Scraper said:

@dpete

@washguy

@98Z5V

@bubbas4570

Just got word from MDWS would be down for a group buy deal on the .358 Yeti barrels and bolts. @Robocop1051, if that's cool with you.

Lemme know who's in. He said ship date is looking like March. Step right up folks! 

Good with me

Cutting is no big deal for me since I already have a setup for cutting 300 BLK.  MDWS has Hornady sizing and seating dies and Lee factory crimp dies although out of stock. 

For bullets a short search turned up these

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product-category/reloading-supplies/bullets/rifle/?filter_caliber-range-sort-by=358&query_type_caliber-range-sort-by=or

9 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

@dpete

@washguy

@98Z5V

@bubbas4570

And the dies, and I'm in.  Gotta have the dies, or the project goes nowhere with just the barrel and bolt - if I can't make the ammo.  Toss that back at them, and let's see what happens.  I'm still in, though.

I'll talk to Hornady next week and see where they're at on the sizing die sets, straight from them...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

And the dies, and I'm in.  Gotta have the dies, or the project goes nowhere with just the barrel and bolt - if I can't make the ammo.  Toss that back at them, and let's see what happens.  I'm still in, though.

Yep....Barrel, bolt and dies in a package.  I'm in!

I went and bought my mini chop saw tonight. Gonna begin stage one of the brass process soon. Also asked about prices for kits with dies and how many buyers we'd need to get to commit. I'll keep y'all posted. Once I hear back I'll probably start separate a group buy thread.

358 Yeti sounds like an awesome round. I got no dog in the fight but I'd love to see this become the next 300blk or 458socom. Might be reaching but you never know. 

1 hour ago, dpete said:

Just thinking ahead.  Does anyone have any idea what powders to consider for reloading this thing?  I would think MDWS would have suggestions about it seeing that this is strictly a reloader's cartridge (unless you get ammo from them).

Shooter's World Blackout seems to be a favorite as does AA1680. There's a very well put together spread sheet I've found that has a TON of useful info.

*All credit goes to GregBS and as with any reloading info on the web, I accept no responsibility for anyone's actions.* 

My Yeti data.xlsx