• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

45LC Lever Guns

WestGaDad

In my current state of denial regarding my semi broken situation I've been toying with the idea of a 45LC carbine for up close deer hunting. I've never had any issues with recoil before so this whole neck fracture is cramping my style. My neck won't take the shock of even 30-30 recoil right now and I'm seriously preparing that this deer season may just be skipped by me. Supposedly the weight restrictions are serious too so that rules out my trusty old bow. Wouldn't trust my accuracy to pistol hunt at 30yds. My mind just keeps going back to a 45LC carbine though. Never owned or shot one. How's the felt recoil? Should hit pretty hard less than 30yds right? Any input at all?

3 minutes ago, WestGaDad said:

In my current state of denial regarding my semi broken situation I've been toying with the idea of a 45LC carbine for up close deer hunting. I've never had any issues with recoil before so this whole neck fracture is cramping my style. My neck won't take the shock of even 30-30 recoil right now and I'm seriously preparing that this deer season may just be skipped by me. Supposedly the weight restrictions are serious too so that rules out my trusty old bow. Wouldn't trust my accuracy to pistol hunt at 30yds. My mind just keeps going back to a 45LC carbine though. Never owned or shot one. How's the felt recoil? Should hit pretty hard less than 30yds right? Any input at all?

Through a pistol, it's pretty fuckin' stout.  I don't know on a lever gun, though, but I know a guy...

@edgecrusher how is Big Mike's 45 Long Colt lever gun?  Think WGD can shoot that with a broken neck (FUK ME!  That sounds scary!)...

Brother - you can't let Peach beat you on a deer hunt.  We have to figure something out, even if you're shooting a wrist rocket with ball bearings from a disabled construction crane...  :thumbup:

@98Z5V Yeah man that's exactly right. As to whether I can or not I agree too. Scary. But I'm in my head thinking about rifle weight compared to projectile/charge weight and it really makes me wonder about the recoil. Of course I can think all I want but that doesn't mean it's accurate thinking..... Maybe too much coffee and free time is getting to me.

@98Z5V Oh yeah how I know. I repaired a 45-70 for a racing bud of mine a few years ago and got to enjoy it after the fact. Hold them damn tight to the shoulder pocket. 

I did just look at gunadapters site, they offer a 45LC insert for 12ga H&R's. $100 for a 8" rifled adapter. Really got my mind turning even if it's a novelty thing. I'm not even sure how many of those H&R's we own now. I'm a sucker for cheap uncool shotguns.

1 minute ago, WestGaDad said:

@98Z5V Oh yeah how I know. I repaired a 45-70 for a racing bud of mine a few years ago and got to enjoy it after the fact. Hold them damn tight to the shoulder pocket. 

I did just look at gunadapters site, they offer a 45LC insert for 12ga H&R's. $100 for a 8" rifled adapter. Really got my mind turning even if it's a novelty thing. I'm not even sure how many of those H&R's we own now. I'm a sucker for cheap uncool shotguns.

You'll like this - I fucked my kid up with the 45-70...   He thought he was tough, but he gave it up quick...   This thing blew the wind out of his chest, and he was done...   :lmao::banana:

Another possibility is a .44 Magnum. I used one in Cowboy Action Shooting because it let me use .44 Specials in both pistols and the lever gun (Marlin 1894).  It has a trajectory like a rainbow, but it'll get the job done. Glad to hear you're getting better. I haven't had my big one yet, but my wife did. She's still kicking, but don't ask her about being run over by a boat on an Oklahoma road. She tends to cuss. :bat:

@Sharpshooter I thought about.44 too. I've already got dies for .45acp/LC so that was a factor as well. As for the big one, it was definitely my biggest yet. Been rear-ended. Slid down a interstate. Many low speed mishaps that we typically don't admit to from embarrassment. Still thankful to have got out like I did. Going in the AM to the neurologist to review my latest CT scan. Hoping for no surgery. Right thumb is killing me hurting but I can't reveal that to the doc for work reasons. So hopefully the neck can be taken off the concern list and I can get the thumb in line next. Left legs just going to be weird from now on but I'm cool with it.

@WestGaDad bwahaha I knew you wouldn't let that go!! Don't be mad babe, I'll get some meat on the table lol. I'm up BTW, see ya shortly.

@98Z5V Oh I got him this season!!! I was just spying a buck at the new place this evening. Seems they like the horses sweet corn lol. If he behaves maybe I'll let him get us some squirrels.... Bwahaha!!!

My dad has a Winchester 94 in 45 colt. Recoil is not bad at all till we get to some handloads or the Corbon +P 300 gr  stuff. He has killed deer and hogs with it. At 50 yds or less the 250gr lead cowboy loads should knock a deer over and not kick much at all. Till my Dad shot some of those corbon's he didn't think the rifle kicked at all. 300 gr at 1400fps.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

You'll like this - I fucked my kid up with the 45-70...   He thought he was tough, but he gave it up quick...   This thing blew the wind out of his chest, and he was done...   :lmao::banana:

I think I have permanate nerve damage from that gun, it was tingling today !

I'm afraid the Doctor and I rained on this parade today. There's been no growth or healing in the larger C2 fracture, so absolutely no shooting or strenuous activity at all. The good knews is nothing's shifted or moving around so it's "stable". All jokes aside, we had to lay down the law so to speak. I'm sure he'll chime in on his lunch break. 

I want another lever action though! I think we definitely need to find one lol.

19 hours ago, Peachey said:

@WestGaDad bwahaha I knew you wouldn't let that go!! Don't be mad babe, I'll get some meat on the table lol. I'm up BTW, see ya shortly.

@98Z5V Oh I got him this season!!! I was just spying a buck at the new place this evening. Seems they like the horses sweet corn lol. If he behaves maybe I'll let him get us some squirrels.... Bwahaha!!!

Oh yeah, this is all Peach, right here...  this season, anyway...  

Not much to add to what peachey said. No shooting this season period. 

@98Z5V Ha ha. I listened to the video. Got to learn to play that one for my next bar jam. Maybe I can collect enough tips to finish my pencil A1 that's been stagnant.

@Cunuckgaucho I've wanted to have a matched wheel and lever for some time now. It would fit very well into my cowboy action pipe dreams. They'd most certainly have to have some nice saddle leather to hang in too.

9 hours ago, WestGaDad said:

Not much to add to what peachey said. No shooting this season period. 

@98Z5V Ha ha. I listened to the video. Got to learn to play that one for my next bar jam. Maybe I can collect enough tips to finish my pencil A1 that's been stagnant.

@Cunuckgaucho I've wanted to have a matched wheel and lever for some time now. It would fit very well into my cowboy action pipe dreams. They'd most certainly have to have some nice saddle leather to hang in too.

I am trying to resist getting into this kind of stuff. Tried a fast draw contest last year. The kind where you shoot wax bullets out of a single action and hit a garbage can top with a sensor when the green light goes off. Had a gas and surprised myself and the booth staff with a best of 6/10 of a second. Since then I have been thinking about it, and had a custom saddlemaker/ leathersmith make a couple of 1911 holsters for my son and I and he had some beautiful single action holsters and belts on display. I could get into this real easy. About 25 miles from me, in Okachobee Florida, they have cowboy action shooting at a range. It is getting harder and harder not to get into it.

10 hours ago, Sisco said:

I am trying to resist getting into this kind of stuff. Tried a fast draw contest last year. The kind where you shoot wax bullets out of a single action and hit a garbage can top with a sensor when the green light goes off. Had a gas and surprised myself and the booth staff with a best of 6/10 of a second. Since then I have been thinking about it, and had a custom saddlemaker/ leathersmith make a couple of 1911 holsters for my son and I and he had some beautiful single action holsters and belts on display. I could get into this real easy. About 25 miles from me, in Okachobee Florida, they have cowboy action shooting at a range. It is getting harder and harder not to get into it.

One of the ranges I belong to has a very active Cowboy Shooting group complete with dedicated western themed ranges https://missionrodandgun.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Shootout-at-the-Ridge-2019-PDF.pdf

I'm torn between buying a lever rifle/revolver combo or a 1874 Sharps style rifle

On 11/7/2019 at 7:33 PM, Cunuckgaucho said:

You should  get a lever action and matching wheel gun in same caliber and finish it off with matching rifle scabbard and holster

Did that several years ago, Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag and Colt Anaconda, same caliber. It's a blast! You would not believe how many times someone has offered to buy those guns from me!

1 hour ago, 392heminut said:

Did that several years ago, Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag and Colt Anaconda, same caliber. It's a blast! You would not believe how many times someone has offered to buy those guns from me!

I've seen some nice set ups at the local Cowboy Action shoots and right now waffling between a lever rifle/revolver combo or a 1874 Sharps style rifle as my Christmas present to me.

• 1 year later...