• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

NEW to AR10 platform

Shir0bry

So with my tax return. I'm now in the market for an AR10. I've had .308 bolt actions and still own my AR15. But, I want to "upgrade" to an AR10.
With that said, I would like the price range to be $1500-$2000
The reason is I want to shoot longer distance and have a "hunting" rifle in the AR platform as well. 

I also like the caliber a lot and have RCBS dies. I like shooting a clean, custom bullet.

I've seen DPMS on gunbroker for $799, but I do believe you get what you pay for, but again - new to the AR10 platform.

I'm just reaching out to you for advice and experience on different brands.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Shir0bry

Welcome from San Diego. 

There are so many ways to go. You can build a ground up rifle, or get one off the shelf and modify as you go along. I see you have a thread about that going and I’ll bet you get some decent feedback there.  Either way, take the time to research and plan it out. Not all parts play well together and you’ll want to know up front that not all 308 AR’s are AR-10’s and there’s a few different platforms out there that don’t intermix.  Head to the build section for some inspiration from what others on here have cobbled together. 

1 hour ago, DNP said:

Welcome from San Diego. 

There are so many ways to go. You can build a ground up rifle, or get one off the shelf and modify as you go along. I see you have a thread about that going and I’ll bet you get some decent feedback there.  Either way, take the time to research and plan it out. Not all parts play well together and you’ll want to know up front that not all 308 AR’s are AR-10’s and there’s a few different platforms out there that don’t intermix.  Head to the build section for some inspiration from what others on here have cobbled together. 

Thanks! Will do!

On 12/5/2019 at 12:35 PM, DNP said:

There are so many ways to go. You can build a ground up rifle, or get one off the shelf and modify as you go along. I

For now, I think I want a new one out of the box. DPMS & M&P seem to have really sweet deals. I've seen AR's upwards of 3K as well. For starters though I'm looking at:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/835089410
Also
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847841480

These prices are great! But, am I getting lower quality? Are the internals not that great? On my AR15 I learned the hard way about low quality BCG's - so I got a pricey, heavy nickel boron and it made all the difference in the world. No more jams.

Decisions decisions......