Help please

aadavis94

So I've built an AR .308 and I'm having FTE and FTF issues 

Aero precision:

M5 upper, lower and hand guard, low profile .750 gas block

Armalite:

carbine length gas tube

6 position buffer tube, spring and buffer

18 inch stainless fluted barrel (specs in pic below)

Ke arms slt2 trigger. 

10 round pmag. 

VG6 lamba muzzle Device

Screenshot_20200301-114612.png

98250e3918b0eaaf5d4656a8741c6f2c974ff3d9_2_750x1000.jpeg

72090e2969e97e20d8d8243152afb87c8adcca30_2_750x1000.jpeg

da1f657553531ac3fd1da8b3880712645c8cad0f_2_750x1000.jpeg

b2c6425b35241283b95e0a9befb9a44c210352d1_2_750x1000.jpeg

f1b1a0d6b70db101f4c747ecc8d338d62b124db7_2_750x1000.jpeg

IMG_20200229_101520.jpg

174a7b64a17620e5564c0264ad885a92593789b8_2_750x1000.jpeg

IMG_20200229_101945.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

I agree she looks dry 

will it lock the bolt back on last round if you load 1 round in the mag?

id start by looking at the recoil system after lubing the poop out of it

Idk if it locks back or not after the last round. I am going to lube her up real good and go try again next weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Ravenworks said:

Carbine length gas tube and the barrel says Mid Length gas system?

just like Raven said....if your barrel is a mid length gas system a carbine gas tube will be too short..... look at all the hot gas marks in your chamber area. You must be able to have the bcg lock back on the last round...thats a major function check.....not locking back on the bolt catch will reveal problemos in the gas/recoil system. In the pic the gas tube looks to be halfway across the clam shell looking indent as it should be....she needs more lube fer sure....   Wash

51 minutes ago, Ravenworks said:

Parts list says Carbine length gas tube and the barrel says Mid Length gas system?

Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas Tube was spec'd in the list.

38 minutes ago, washguy said:

just like Raven said....if your barrel is a mid length gas system a carbine gas tube will be too short..... look at all the hot gas marks in your chamber area. You must be able to have the bcg lock back on the last round...thats a major function check.....not locking back on the bolt catch will reveal problemos in the gas/recoil system. In the pic the gas tube looks to be halfway across the clam shell looking indent as it should be....she needs more lube fer sure....   Wash

The Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas tube is 12 1/16" long.  The AR15 midlength gas tube is shorter.  The pic that Doc quoted clearly shows that the gas tube is perfect in this gun/combination - ends directly in the middle of the cam pin cutout, where it should. An AR15 midlength gas tube would have been too short, with this combination.

OP, what's your gas port diameter?  It's too small.  I'm betting it's around 0.070", and it needs to be 0.080"~0.085" for that list of barrel specs. Check your gas port diameter, and get ready to drill it up.  Everything else in your parts lists looks good, and your failures are what I've seen from too-small gas ports.

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas Tube was spec'd in the list.

The Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas tube is 12 1/16" long.  The AR15 midlength gas tube is shorter.  The pic that Doc quoted clearly shows that the gas tube is perfect in this gun/combination - ends directly in the middle of the cam pin cutout, where it should. An AR15 midlength gas tube would have been too short, with this combination.

OP, what's your gas port diameter?  It's too small.  I'm betting it's around 0.070", and it needs to be 0.080"~0.085" for that list of barrel specs. Check your gas port diameter, and get ready to drill it up.  Everything else in your parts lists looks good, and your failures are what I've seen from too-small gas ports.

IMG_20200301_203123.thumb.jpg.6f81045a3792b02e522c27cb5ef4111c.jpg

gas port is reading 0.085

Right where it needs to be.  Doesn't look like you have any issues, hardware-wise.  Run that thing wet, like @edgecrusher stated.  You don't have any parts-issues.  The Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System is solid.  The barrel specs meet what they need to meet, to make a .308AR 18" MIdlength gas gun run.  You have an Aero BCG in there, so the BCG doesn't necessarily suck - it's good, it's actually a ToolCraft BCG.  Pull your extractor from the bolt and check what you have for an extractor spring setup.  That's the last thing to check, hardware-wise.  On the off-chance, check that your ejector is working.  Other than that, run it wet, and run alot of rounds through it wet.

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Right where it needs to be.  Doesn't look like you have any issues, hardware-wise.  Run that thing wet, like @edgecrusher stated.  You don't have any parts-issues.  The Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System is solid.  The barrel specs meet what they need to meet, to make a .308AR 18" MIdlength gas gun run.  You have an Aero BCG in there, so the BCG doesn't necessarily suck - it's good, it's actually a ToolCraft BCG.  Pull your extractor from the bolt and check what you have for an extractor spring setup.  That's the last thing to check, hardware-wise.  On the off-chance, check that your ejector is working.  Other than that, run it wet, and run alot of rounds through it wet.

IMG_20200301_204607.thumb.jpg.2273bb82a1980ec8744a25b8738da910.jpg

Pulled my bcg apart. Does this look right?

I went to pull my ejector out and it shot into deep space orbit so it looks like I'm ordering a new one of those 😅

3 minutes ago, aadavis94 said:

Pulled my bcg apart. Does this look right?

I went to pull my ejector out and it shot into deep space orbit so it looks like I'm ordering a new one of those 😅

Looks perfect, for the extractor - just like ToolCraft builds them, with dual o-rings.  You don't have an extractor issue, at all.

As for that ejector - we now may never know...   But shiit happens... and we get it...  :thumbup::banana:

Your ejector ejected, one last time, so it did it's job...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Looks perfect, for the extractor - just like ToolCraft builds them, with dual o-rings.  You don't have an extractor issue, at all.

As for that ejector - we now may never know...   But shiit happens... and we get it...  :thumbup::banana:

Your ejector ejected, one last time, so it did it's job...   :laffs:

Where is the best place to order an ejector from? 

2 minutes ago, aadavis94 said:

Right here  - it's listed as out of stock right now - but call them on the phone...  Trust me.  Call them, and talk to them, and see if you can get Armalite Part # EA6070...

This one:

https://www.armalite.com/product/ea6070-ar10-ejector-replacement-kit/

LOCAL: 623-780-1050
TOLL FREE: 800-336-0184

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Right here  - it's listed as out of stock right now - but call them on the phone...  Trust me.  Call them, and talk to them, and see if you can get Armalite Part # EA6070...

This one:

https://www.armalite.com/product/ea6070-ar10-ejector-replacement-kit/

LOCAL: 623-780-1050
TOLL FREE: 800-336-0184

Thank you!!

72090e2969e97e20d8d8243152afb87c8adcca30_2_750x1000.jpeg

Hasn't anybody else noticed this picture from the OP's original post?

A case that hasn't ejected jammed with a cartridge that has been partially chambered.  That seems to me to me an issue with ejection, not gassing or lubrication.

It looks like the rifle went through the extraction properly but didn't eject the case at all.  The bolt carrier went far enough back to strip a new cartridge off of the magazine and pushed the new cartridge forward in to the chamber until the bolt was stopped by both the old fired case that had not been ejected and the new fresh cartridge.

10 hours ago, montanamac said:

Hasn't anybody else noticed this picture from the OP's original post?

A case that hasn't ejected jammed with a cartridge that has been partially chambered.  That seems to me to me an issue with ejection, not gassing or lubrication.

It looks like the rifle went through the extraction properly but didn't eject the case at all.  The bolt carrier went far enough back to strip a new cartridge off of the magazine and pushed the new cartridge forward in to the chamber until the bolt was stopped by both the old fired case that had not been ejected and the new fresh cartridge.

Yeah, I looked at that pic specifically.   Ejection in these things is all about whether your gas system is what it needs to be, and your recoil system is what it needs to be - if they're not, your ejection is either wild or mild - if those two systems aren't prefectly balanced.  This isn't AR15-world, where everything had a definitive spec to meet.  Hell, I can break in a new AR15 bone dry, zero lube.  Not so with a .308AR. 

So, first, we here went through the details of this OPs gun - it's straight.  He built it right.  Only thing left - might be that ejector, since we can't confirm that - but we can confirm, through posted pics, that the rifle looks dry.

That pic you quoted looks like what happens with a dry .308AR gun - but you have to find out the hardware situation first, which we did.  We eliminated everything we could eliminate.  Lube it, run it with factory, quality ammo, and break it in... 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 3/1/2020 at 8:59 PM, aadavis94 said:

I like the KAK, running them in 3 BCG's so far.

https://www.kakindustry.com/kak-bcg-ejector-308

Sprinco has great springs. 

Also, after loosing a couple I bought the tool 

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/ejector-tools/308-ar-bolt-ejector-tool-prod72380.aspx

Personally I don't agree that running too dry is a problem, I did it all the time in the military, it was far better than worrying about sand jamming the action.

Ejection is ejection, the mechanical action of ejecting is pretty simple and directly involves the ejector and spring.  Having lost the old one means you'll never know if it was a problem but if installing a new one seems to fix the issue then it's a pretty good bet that it was the problem.  But I do agree that timing is critical in any gas operated rifle and there could be a problem with how much gas there is, the magazine or mag follower spring, or the recoil parts.  Any of those could change the timing of the BCG and how it interacts with the ammo.  For all I know it could be the extractor, maybe it's too short and the case is slipping out from under it while it's being pushed out by the ejector.  That would be hard to detect when hand operating the rifle but with the high momentum and speed of normal operation it could occur.

Edited by montanamac

25 minutes ago, montanamac said:

Personally I don't agree that running too dry is a problem, I did it all the time in the military, it was far better than worrying about sand jamming the action.

Was the weapon you were carrying in the military a variant of the large AR platform, or the small AR platform?

If you're basing your logic off the small AR platform, the large AR isn't the same animal. It's been well born out for most of the life of this forum that heavy lubrication is a key to getting this platform to run well initially. After the rifle has been broken in and the moving parts play more nicely, it's not quite as critical, but it's still important.