• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 Flash Hider / Compensator Hybrid?

Valetic

I know there are a few on the AR 15 platform, but I can’t really find one for the 308.

The new plan is a 14.5 weld. Might not be smart if I can’t tune it though and just need to go with the flash hider. Maybe it is smart, 308s have a nice kick. Just thought I’d ask.

I don’t really want to go with a brake either because everyone says it’s concussive as hell and some of them give you a blast of heat and smoke, especially on shorter barrels.

My thought was to cancel out some of the sound while getting rid of some muzzle rise. If not I’ll probably just go with one or the other. And if I did, which one do you think I should choose?

I used a 5.56 AAC comp/flash hider on a 14.7"  and had 16.2" overall. They have two different depth sockets so which one you get may change the measurement, I don't recall which I used. The Breakout in either 5.56 or 308 does a good job of balancing the two objectives, not near the best in either category but it works well. Works even better when the best muzzle device is added, a SDN-6 suppressor in my case.

44 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

I used a 5.56 AAC comp/flash hider on a 14.7"  and had 16.2" overall. They have two different depth sockets so which one you get may change the measurement, I don't recall which I used. The Breakout in either 5.56 or 308 does a good job of balancing the two objectives, not near the best in either category but it works well. Works even better when the best muzzle device is added, a SDN-6 suppressor in my case.

Yeah I talked to somebody a minute ago that said it doesn’t do as well as going all or nothing on either one.

It might be another story with brake comp hybrid though. Idk

The Surefire WarComp was ranked pretty high.

I've been using them for about 5 years and it does everything I need it to do.

Follow up shots are ridiculously simple, if you are into using their cans then you are all set as it is set up for suppressor use.

Primary arms has them on sale for $110

https://www.surefire.com/warcomp-762-5-8-24.html

14 hours ago, Valetic said:

I know there are a few on the AR 15 platform, but I can’t really find one for the 308.

The new plan is a 14.5 weld. Might not be smart if I can’t tune it though and just need to go with the flash hider. Maybe it is smart, 308s have a nice kick. Just thought I’d ask.

I don’t really want to go with a brake either because everyone says it’s concussive as hell and some of them give you a blast of heat and smoke, especially on shorter barrels.

My thought was to cancel out some of the sound while getting rid of some muzzle rise. If not I’ll probably just go with one or the other. And if I did, which one do you think I should choose?

You're an Ask-Hole.  You're gonna ask alot of questions, get alot of input- then ignore everything that's been presented to you.  Because you "research" - and you're never gonna find your "right answer."  You don't shoot - you just internet, and look for opinions.  You'll NEVER find what's right, because you don't pull the trigger and shoot, and TRY products.  Research isn't gonna get you what YOU want.  Trial and Error will, though.

Here's what i would do - but you won't do it.  Even if I told you that I've already used it on several builds, multiple calibers.  You won't care. You won't listen, either.

Research this pic, and find out what the parts are - They WORK:

P1080624.thumb.JPG.5441de8eeebc0d977e1daa3e4b8a2d45.JPG

These work quite well, too:

P1080625.thumb.JPG.dd0ea3c1cec882875b9fe085d1ce402f.JPG

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You're an Ask-Hole.  You're gonna ask alot of questions, get alot of input- then ignore everything that's been presented to you. 

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Here's what i would do - but you won't do it.  Even if I told you that I've already used it on several builds, multiple calibers.  You won't care. You won't listen, either.

Why would he? After all, somebody else on the internet probably has contradicted you....

:soap:

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You're an Ask-Hole.  You're gonna ask alot of questions, get alot of input- then ignore everything that's been presented to you.  Because you "research" - and you're never gonna find your "right answer."  You don't shoot - you just internet, and look for opinions.  You'll NEVER find what's right, because you don't pull the trigger and shoot, and TRY products.  Research isn't gonna get you what YOU want.  Trial and Error will, though.

Research this pic, and find out what the parts are - They WORK:

P1080624.thumb.JPG.5441de8eeebc0d977e1daa3e4b8a2d45.JPG

These work quite well, too:

P1080625.thumb.JPG.dd0ea3c1cec882875b9fe085d1ce402f.JPG

I have one of these as well.  They do work as well as he says.  The only reason I don't have more is that I have not built a rifle is a while.  I need to see if they have one that will work for a 450.

ETA: They do not make them in .45 Cal.

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

Here's when that went down in the thread:

On 3/23/2020 at 7:46 AM, unforgiven said:

See if AAC Breakout works, for length.

On 3/23/2020 at 8:27 AM, Valetic said:

That’s actually a flash/brake hybrid.

10 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Didn't OP say he wanted to use a suppressor? So he needs to use whatever muzzle device he needs for the suppressor he is going to use .

Nobody makes what he's looking for.  One company makes this one, but it's only 5.56, and only works with their uber-expensive suppressor:

996716743_556suppressorqdCOMP.png.c6dd4f23063a4905243620a02fe29bb5.png

He won't buy a suppressor - can you imagine the amount of time that would be put into research?  And, he's going about this thread backwards, if the suppressor was the real priority - he'd be finding the perfect suppressor first, then finding that company's suppressor host for it...

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Nobody makes what he's looking for.  One company makes this one, but it's only 5.56, and only works with their uber-expensive suppressor:

He won't buy a suppressor - can you imagine the amount of time that would be put into research?  And, he's going about this thread backwards, if the suppressor was the real priority - he'd be finding the perfect suppressor first, then finding that company's suppressor host for it...

Think I got him mixed up with another new guy. Not sure.

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

life's way to short

Damn y’all still talkin smack? I never said anything about a suppressor btw. And I found several different flash comps, but I’m not really interested in them anymore as my research has shown me that it’s better for me to go one or the other. I’m sure y’all gonna eat that up.

I ordered a toolcraft and a bear creek barrel so far. Who would’ve thought a $400 build would be more reliable than spending thousands with one of the most revered after market suppliers. Oh well. It is what it is, right? If I can give it a bath in a Louisiana swamp like you can the JP 15 and it still wants to shoot, I’ll be a believer.

that’ll be the first thing I do when I get it set up. I’ll make sure and give y’all a range test result after that.

3 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I for one am amazed at how little time it took for the pendulum to swing from the need for JP's boutique race gear to Bear Creek's Dollar General lifetime guarantee.... 

I almost went there, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.  Oh, and HAD I went there, the "you're a meany" jackass would have decended upon me with great vengeance and furious anger...

(^^^  That's a nod to our old friend, MaDuce, right there...)

Edited by 98Z5V

25 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I almost went there, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.  Oh, and HAD I went there, the "you're a meany" jackass would have decended upon me with great vengeance and furious anger...

(^^^  That's a nod to our old friend, MaDuce, right there...)

I don't know if lockdown has drastically reduced my patience or what, but I'm definitely feeling a bit crankier as of late.