I think I’m gonna build a 9mm rifle....

DNP

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don’t know if I want them to machine my JP bolt to match their $130 barrel, but maybe?  Like I said...I’ll run it without. I can see where it might be useful, but if it feeds fine without it...why bother?

it won’t get much more complicated. There really isn’t anything else I can do to complicate it....is there?

Just now, DNP said:

I don’t know if I want them to machine my JP bolt to match their $130 barrel, but maybe?  Like I said...I’ll run it without. I can see where it might be useful, but if it feeds fine without it...why bother?

it won’t get much more complicated. There really isn’t anything else I can do to complicate it....is there?

You've pretty much accomplished the ultimate bastardized gun, no two components made by the same company. It's like a CMMG but without the brand recognition....

Ouch....that hurt a little.  And it’s not true. Whole buffer tube, castle nut, stock and most of the LPk are strike industries.  Bolt and recoil system are JP and made to go together. I probably should have gone with a JP barrel, but didn’t pay attention to them having an ultralight until after the fact. It ain’t as bad as CMMG....that’s just harsh. 

edit to remove charging handle. Already forgot I got talked into the Raptor. 

Edited by DNP

25 minutes ago, DNP said:

Ouch....that hurt a little.  And it’s not true. Whole buffer tube, castle nut, stock and most of the LPk are strike industries.  Bolt and recoil system are JP and made to go together. I probably should have gone with a JP barrel, but didn’t pay attention to them having an ultralight until after the fact. It ain’t as bad as CMMG....that’s just harsh. 

I'm just bustin' your chops bro, I'm more than a little envious of this build... It's been a lot of fun to keep track of it's progress!

As soon as the “don’t complicate shiit...” came out, I almost set out with the goal to make no two parts of the same manufacturer....but I failed. Next time. 

This is a test run. If I like it, I may wind up with two. More nice parts to put nice parts in, and make one a little more dollar friendly grade. I can pick up a taccom bolt and run it with this upper ( and take advantage of the added ramp) and move the JP over to the other. 

Edited by DNP

47 minutes ago, DNP said:

As soon as the “don’t complicate shiit...” came out, I almost set out with the goal to make no two parts of the same manufacturer....but I failed. Next time. 

This is a test run. If I like it, I may wind up with two. More nice parts to put nice parts in, and make one a little more dollar friendly grade. I can pick up a taccom bolt and run it with this upper ( and take advantage of the added ramp) and move the JP over to the other. 

NOW you're complicating it...  :thumbup::laffs:   I like your style...  :banana:

3 hours ago, DNP said:

JP parts ! I don't think so 😔

giphy-2.gif

USPS got their head out of their ass and finally delivered enough parts to build a gun. It’s gonna be a Mikedaddy special for a few days though - no sights.  I might pick some up at LGS tomorrow.  Gonna go watch a video to see how this SLR handguard gets held on. Weird deal. 

I’m still really debating the BAD wood gear and a 9.5” HG. That’s 500 that can go towards my shotgun though....so it’s a tough call. 

5 minutes ago, DNP said:

I don’t pay anywhere near enough attention. Downside to the Hellfighter is you replace the bolt catch. Bolt hold open is gonna be GONE. No mas. So in the case of the 9mm, LRBHO is a wasted feature. 

My 45AR never did have a last round bolt hold - so I put a MagPul Bad Lever on it - that way, I can control the bolt lock, when I need to.  Just a thought.  :thumbup:

27 minutes ago, DNP said:

The mag lock and release take the place of the bolt catch. I don’t think I’ve ever looked hard at a BAD lever, but doesn’t it hook up in the bolt catch?

Yes, it does, and Shiit.  I forgot about those rules...  My mistake...  :bitchslap:

I built a 9mm PCC a couple months ago.  Standard AR-15 lower.  Faxon 16 inch barrel.  Faxon bolt.  Went with the JP silent capture 9mm buffer set up.  Have to remove the hammer out of FCG to get the JP set in because there is no bend or give to get it in the buffer tube.  MEAN Arms restrictve state Endomags.  The pre built 10 rounders that are Epoxied together.  (I live in Cuomo-stan) Aero upper and hand guard.   510C Green dot.  Banging steel steel plates at 100 yd all day long.  Tactical Brass Recovery system.  That blow back system functions well but it a dirty running SOB.    I really like it and it's cheaper to plink with than the .223/5.56.  I just picked up some steel case Wolf 9mm to run as an even cheaper option.  Have not had a chance to run it.

8 hours ago, DNP said:

No worries. You have no reason to know anything about these you free bastard. I think I have a solution. 

You want to know a fun fact? We actually still have houses up for sale in the free sections of America :lmao:. I’d much prefer you move in down the street from me, instead of another Bay Area douche bag that wants to make Reno the next target of their left wing revenge. 

Back to the gun though, I’m excited to see how the CMM.. I mean DNP 9mm special turns out :thumbup:. I’ve heard good things about that silent captured spring setup, but no first hand knowledge. I’m also a caveman at heart, very much believe in the motto of don’t complicate $hit. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on the setup though. Who knows, I may get brave enough to try it down the road somewhere. 

Edited by DayWalker

I’m trapped here @DayWalker .  3rd generation in a 60 year old business. Can’t walk away from that. Not just to ditch a few crazy laws. Now, when they finally succeed in making it impossible to maintain a business...I’m out.  Besides, I don’t do well in the heat - as much as I’d enjoy having neighbors like yourself as well...wait, I kinda do....we’re just all in the same boat. I’m up in the mountains away from the city BS. Surrounded by people just like me or even further to the right. 

I’ll hope to have some pictures up tonight. Don’t think I’ll get to shoot it today, but maybe.  It’s nice to be able to step outside and shoot whenever you want.  Can’t wait to build the range after the house is done.  Worried if I build a berm now they’ll come up with some sort of permit they want for it.

Give all this up?  For a legal 30 round mag and no CA complaint features?

C33C074C-635C-46B0-A32C-41E70E95AFF7.jpeg

I get it brother, just bustin balls. Took me 30 years to finally break from The People’s Republic of Maryland. California is absolutely gorgeous, hands down. I spend a lot of time in CA for work, and I know how it really is. Go in any of the small towns and it’s all good folks, just stuck living by rules Douche Canoes in a few of the big cities make for everyone. 

I’m good with the ball bustin. I just like to explain my situation sometimes. Every time I get into anything about this state, some free center of uranus (It’s a term of endearment) tells me to move. With everything on the scale, that ain’t always an easy option. If I was flipping burgers or producing a product that could be built anywhere...moving is easy. We’re in civil engineering and surveying. Our value is in our knowledge of the City we’ve been working in for 60 years. All that means nada in any other town and it would be like starting from scratch and competing with companies like ours that already have deep roots in the area we moved into. I think about it a lot though. I am not involved in ownership here. Hope to be at some point if things go well. If not, I’d be happy if the current owners (dad and uncle) sold the place and made a great retirement for themselves. At that point I’d be free to leave. 

Edited by DNP