• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

'Retro' 308 'Woody' build

11 hours ago, 392heminut said:

very good read, thanks for posting

Damn, what a blast from the past.  That's the exact same furniture that I used on my 5.56 Woody.  That same pic is what prompted that build, and that same pic is what I used on the cover of my Appleseed Instructor Manual.

AR-15-Lucid-Manufacturing-wood-furnitur-

At the time, I pulled that furniture from Precision Firearms, and when I called, I talked to Mark Hostetter himself. 

That is a really, REALLY good article, brother - thank you for finding that. :hail: Now I need to dig the Woody out and get a pic of that beautiful bitch in here... 

GAWD DAMN!  i FOUND IT!  

It's a complete built National Match Rifle - minus one part.  Those wood handguard grips will not fit a National Match Freefloat Tube.  @mrraley sold me that Armalite NM Freefloat tube and gas tube many years ago, and I bought it just for this rifle - but I'm too chicken to trust anyone to mill those Walnut handguards out to fit it.  Everything else on that gun is all National Match parts, down to the skinny 0.040" KNS Precision front sight post, and the RRA NM carry handle, 1/4 x 1/4 MOA adjustments and 0.040" changeable peep.  Young NM BCG, Geissele SSA-E trigger, a BAD-ASS just because, and a rare (don't think they make them anymore) Rainier Arms UltraMatch Billet upper receiver.  This thing can Slay Dragons at 500 yards with Iron Sights.  It's an absolute joy to shoot...  :hail::thumbup:

There's a build thread on it somewhere here, but with all the "Woody" talk over the years, it hard for me to even find it. 

Pics with flash and without flash, so you can really see that wood.

P1080707.thumb.JPG.8906154f7f279f549d510cc6f32340b1.JPG

P1080708.thumb.JPG.0caed9414040507dca3678be87140f15.JPG

P1080709.thumb.JPG.a47c00095d23c7e3184a8cbe3a99a70d.JPG

@98Z5V your build is what inspired me to do mine. Ever since you posted those pics I wanted to do one. When that damn bumpfire ban happened I needed a shoulder stock and grip so I went the wood route with that carbine. I need to look around the forum, I think I posted some pics of it somewhere here after I got it done. Woodies are just cool!:thumbup:

9 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

Woodies are just cool!:thumbup:

Woodies are amazing!  I remember taking SO MUCH SHIIT on Arfcom, when I built that. ALL the Mall Ninjas said I was a dumbass, and it sucked, yada yada yada.  I didn't care.  I was beating up that 450 (really 475) out on the Sierra Vista Shooting Range, with iron sights.  I'd start 100, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450 (the 475)...   Smack smack smack, over and over.  Other guys out there were asking what they hell I was doing...   "I'm just having FUN!..."   :lmao:

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Woodies are amazing!  I remember taking SO MUCH SHIIT on Arfcom, when I built that. ALL the Mall Ninjas said I was a dumbass, and it sucked, yada yada yada.  I didn't care.  I was beating up that 450 (really 475) out on the Sierra Vista Shooting Range, with iron sights. 

Mall ninjas can't even SEE that far!:laffs:

You know, I wanted to get a wood stock for my Armalite AR10 rifle a few years ago think I will revisit it. There was a guy in South Dakota that had reasonable prices. I posted about it but am having no luck finding the post in archives.

Edited by Sisco

I built my father in law his 1st AR15. It was mostly Colt and Armalite NM parts. The wood furniture was from Lucid Wood. They made the absolute best stuff on the market. Back then you had the option of an A2 butt plate or a rubber pad. I got the rubber pad, but hindsight I wish I got the A2 plate. 

im always tempted to do another. 

32 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

And what's stopping you? :popcorn:

Lucid is gone, as a company, and Dan Konrad was the man behind that design - and he's out, too.  That was the best wood out there, by far.  It's amazing.  :hail:

I - knowing now, in this future - wish I would have bought 50 sets of it.  I'd be rich now, retired, and have land and structures, based on what people were willing to pay for that stuff, these days.

Edited by 98Z5V

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Lucid is gone, as a company, and Dan Konrad was the man behind that design - and he's out, too.  That was the best wood out there, by far.  It's amazing.  :hail:

I - knowing now, in this future - wish I would have bought 50 sets of it.  I'd be rich now, retired, and have land and structures, based on what people were willing to pay for that stuff, these days.

Hind-sight can be a bitch.

On 6/11/2020 at 12:21 PM, Swiftab said:

Dam you all. Now I want one too 

Black Guns Wood look pretty nice  

http://www.blackgunswood.com/

$295 for an AR15 set is reasonable. I have a Colt National Match that needs some upgrades. 

That's where I got my wood furniture set. Gene is a great guy to deal with and his stuff is very nice, both grain wise and fit!:thumbup:

3 hours ago, Swiftab said:

I received my wood today from blackgunswood.com

Stock set was packaged very well and double boxed

16331F1C-7A0E-4D0A-80BE-1BE7598E720A.jpeg

Black walnut wood is beautiful  

41B7B181-4B3A-4425-A5D3-4F956912815E.jpeg

Installed in minutes  

45635EE2-CB58-4825-9279-28494D3A4A72.jpeg

I love the look and the feel. 

This thread is gonna cost me some money.