• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Roam - Magnesium AR-10's - Lightweight

Roam_Rifles

Hi, just here to introduce the company I work for Roam.  We design, engineer, machine and assemble very lightweight AR-10's. We just shipped our first production units last week. Photo is of some brass collected after firing 3,000 rounds through our 5.73 pound Red River Ultralight.  The key to our lightweight is the upper receiver, lower receiver, handguard, and buffer tube are made from magnesium (magnesium is about 1/3 lighter than aluminum).   If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them. http://www.roamrifles.com

3,000 Round Test - Brass.jpg

Hi Matt, Catfood and Sisco.  I appreciate the comments.  I will try to get some short (10 - 15 second) videos of the magnesium being machined.  It is really something to machine these parts out of magnesium.  Picking up these big AR-10's and feeling how light they are is really awesome, but very difficult to explain in writing or video.   

32 minutes ago, Roam_Rifles said:

Hi Matt, Catfood and Sisco.  I appreciate the comments.  I will try to get some short (10 - 15 second) videos of the magnesium being machined.  It is really something to machine these parts out of magnesium.  Picking up these big AR-10's and feeling how light they are is really awesome, but very difficult to explain in writing or video.   

If you don't mind my asking, what is Roam's model designation for these rifles? The reason I ask is because "AR-10" is a manufacturer specific designation that can cause compatibility issues when ordering parts that aren't compatible across the DPMS and ArmaLite platforms. By understanding the difference, you can prevent folks from ordering incompatible parts for their Roam rifles.

7 hours ago, Roam_Rifles said:

Hi, just here to introduce the company I work for Roam.  We design, engineer, machine and assemble very lightweight AR-10's.

if you want to get REALLY lightweight, play with 2055 Lithium Aluminum...  Magnesium + Fire = one HELL of a bright fire!  Burn a magnesium engine case in a bonfire, and see for yourself... 

7 hours ago, Sisco said:

Are they true"AR10"'s?  Based on the Armalite proprietary design, or 308AR's based generally on the DPMS design? Or something else?

7 hours ago, Roam_Rifles said:

Hi, these are based on DPMS Gen 1, full frame. available. in .308 or 6.5 creedmoor.

Then, these are definitely NOT "AR-10s".

5 hours ago, Roam_Rifles said:

You are NOT manufacturing "AR-10s" at all.  You are manufacturing .308ARs in the DPMS-Based Pattern.

I hope, as a manufacturer, that you understand the differences between the two platforms - because there ARE differences. 

If you never new the differences, then you probably shouldn't be the marketing guy for this company. Sorry if I sound like a dickhead, but you straight up signed up here and started pimping product for your company, and you are not an advertiser here.  I can go into more board rules, if you'd like, since you obviously never read them in the first place. Lemme know.

Edited by 98Z5V

I remember when Mag Tactical Systems tried making magnesium rifles.

https://tradocnews.org/mag-tactical-out-of-business/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/09/magnesium-ar15-lower-snaps/

how is Roam different? I actually own a MAG upper/lower. It’s built up to be a .22lr because I don’t trust it to survive a more powerful load. 

Hi Robocop1051,  yes Mag Tactical systems made magnesium uppers and lowers and there were strength issues with those parts. I don't want to sound like an expert on another companies product, but we did look into those components and our opinion is that they were made by using a magnesium thixomolding process.  Magnesium thixomolding is very popular and the vast majority of all magnesium components in the world are made by thixomolding or die casting (automotive industry in the United States alone uses more magnesium in a few weeks than aerospace and defense in a year).  The upside to thixomolding is cost, it is very affordable.  The downside is mechanical properties are not all that great (not the best elongation) and therefore we ruled out early on using thixomolding or die casting as a way to make our magnesium parts.   The downside for the alloys we are using is cost, but they have the strength required. 

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

if you want to get REALLY lightweight, play with 2055 Lithium Aluminum...  Magnesium + Fire = one HELL of a bright fire!  Burn a magnesium engine case in a bonfire, and see for yourself... 

Then, these are definitely NOT "AR-10s".

You are NOT manufacturing "AR-10s" at all.  You are manufacturing .308ARs in the DPMS-Based Pattern.

I hope, as a manufacturer, that you understand the differences between the two platforms - because there ARE differences. 

If you never new the differences, then you probably shouldn't be the marketing guy for this company. Sorry if I sound like a dickhead, but you straight up signed up here and started pimping product for your company, and you are not an advertiser here.  I can go into more board rules, if you'd like, since you obviously never read them in the first place. Lemme know.

Hi 98Z5V, I will look into becoming an advertiser and will not post further until we get that done.   On the magnesium and fire issue, the chips and shavings coming out of our machines will burn quickly and easily.  However our rifle parts just like the aircraft parts we deal with daily require a steady flame for a considerable time before they would ever begin to burn.  This is why magnesium jet engine gearboxes on commercial planes and helicopters are not a risk to the passengers.   

Once you get it to light...in needs a splash of water to really make it take off.  I don’t think I’d worry about a rifle lighting up, but hey....you’ve got extra perks as a signal fire should you get stranded when hunting with one. Looking forward to hearing more about your product. 

5 hours ago, Roam_Rifles said:

I failed to read the forum rules which indicate we need to be an advertiser if we are sharing news on our product, so I will not be posting further until we get that accomplished. 

Roam, quite simply, if you want to have street credibility with the people knowledgeable about large caliber AR’s, Remove “AR 10” from your vocabulary. That is an Armalite Corporation Trademark, and banding it around for firearms that CANNOT interchange parts with an Armalite AR 10 is going to lead to confusion and upset customers. I looked at your web site, and you need to REMOVE all mentions of AR 10’s and replace them. You could replace them with “MAR 10’s “ or just about any nomenclature, just NOT AR-10. Trust me this will save your company monumental headaches, not to mention avoiding Trademark infringement law suits.

43 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Roam, quite simply, if you want to have street credibility with the people knowledgeable about large caliber AR’s, Remove “AR 10” from your vocabulary. That is an Armalite Corporation Trademark, and banding it around for firearms that CANNOT interchange parts with an Armalite AR 10 is going to lead to confusion and upset customers. I looked at your web site, and you need to REMOVE all mentions of AR 10’s and replace them. You could replace them with “MAR 10’s “ or just about any nomenclature, just NOT AR-10. Trust me this will save your company monumental headaches, not to mention avoiding Trademark infringement law suits.

I too checked out their website, using their own designation would be perfect.

Roam's rifles look really nice, I wouldn't mind doing some testing & assessment for them....

1 hour ago, Roam_Rifles said:

Sisco, I understand exactly what you are saying and I will bring this up to the owners.  RedRiverII, please no lawsuits on the name, we are just getting going🙂.  Our facility is located pretty close to the Red River in Grand Forks, ND.  

Good luck, it indeed looks interesting. I wish you well with your endeavor.

• 6 months later...