• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 value OPINION

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I think sticking cases I think either overly hot cartridges or very worn brass...   If it were me I'd ....

1. Put a box of known factory basic rounds through it and see if you can replicate...  if it happens with these rounds I'd look at the gun / chamber for issues...

2. If you can't replicate with std basic rounds, I'd chrono the match rounds and look at how hot they are relative to expectation... 

47 minutes ago, BigNate said:

When I think sticking cases I think either overly hot cartridges or very worn brass...   If it were me I'd ....

1. Put a box of known factory basic rounds through it and see if you can replicate...  if it happens with these rounds I'd look at the gun / chamber for issues...

2. If you can't replicate with std basic rounds, I'd chrono the match rounds and look at how hot they are relative to expectation... 

These were factory new ammo. The 4 stuck cases all looked a little dark after firing as if a little bit hot loaded 

34 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

These were factory new ammo. The 4 stuck cases all looked a little dark after firing as if a little bit hot loaded 

PPU is good ammo, but it is bulk-produced, on an automated assembly line.   Could be those were hot as hell.  How many more do you have out of that same lot?

5 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Not sure what's left out of that case. I'll check when I get back from hog hunting tonight. 

Factory or not….  I’d put a few of them through a chronograph just to know what they are doing and what sort of variation you are seeing.   Just my 2 cents…

Pretty good day out today. Left the AR10 home till I get the extractor replaced. Saw 2 bald eagles, when we rolled in, pretty AMAZING! Saw about 30 groundhog & got some shooting in. Couldn't get a shot at all of them but we managed to get at least 15 today.. kinda difficult to find all the kills, $hit looks a lot different once you exit the vantage point & get out where you "thought" the victim was lol.

Here's some pics of what I could locate

20210705_190840.jpg

20210705_190734.jpg

20210705_190725.jpg

20210705_190624.jpg

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

13 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Looks like a good day.

I remember couple years back going gopher hunting and this girl voiced a less than positive attitude. After pointing gopher holes break horses legs, she's asking us to teach her to shoot.

Yep, people change their outlook when we explain that.  One farmer rolled the tractor cutting a hillside when the ground caved in around a spot that had 4 or 5 holes undermining it. Destructive little SOB's

Just spoke with Glen at Armalite. He says the extractor arm for my AR10 is propriety. Armalite puts a relief cut in theirs, therefore other 308AR extractor arms will not fit.  Of course the field kits which contain this part are out of stock for at least 6 to 8 months yet. Told me to call back in a couple hours & talk to parts department,  they may be able to dig up just the extractor arm for me.

7 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Just spoke with Glen at Armalite. He says the extractor arm for my AR10 is propriety. Armalite puts a relief cut in theirs, therefore other 308AR extractor arms will not fit.  Of course the field kits which contain this part are out of stock for at least 6 to 8 months yet. Told me to call back in a couple hours & talk to parts department,  they may be able to dig up just the extractor arm for me.

If shipping it is an issue, let me know.   Stopping by to pick it up and ship it to you would be a great excuse to ge in the door there… 😁

4 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

If they're really out of them. Just let me know, I can probably come up with one for you.