• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 value OPINION

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/6/2021 at 12:57 PM, Rsquared said:

If they're really out of them. Just let me know, I can probably come up with one for you.

Mine does not have the notch (mine is an AR-10(T)).  I believe that I'm the 3rd owner - I bought it from a good friend who bought it from a stranger.  I know that my friend did not change out the extractor - but I have no idea if the original owner did.  Either way - this is what I see when I look at mine. 

Extractor 1.jpg

29 minutes ago, BigNate said:

Mine does not have the notch (mine is an AR-10(T)).  I believe that I'm the 3rd owner - I bought it from a good friend who bought it from a stranger.  I know that my friend did not change out the extractor - but I have no idea if the original owner did.  Either way - this is what I see when I look at mine. 

Extractor 1.jpg

Hmmm, may have been changed. According to the Armalite  repair tech I spoke with today, they are all relief cut. However,  I did ask him if others pattern extractor arms would fit in a bind & he would NOT give me a yes or no answer, only that " all our extractors have the relief cut  to grip the shell case deeper". Got my curiosity up now, I may order an aftermarket extractor to measure & try.

I'm honestly struggling with how the extractor can be the issue.  If the case were sticking in the chamber and the lip of the case was whole - I could see it being an extractor issue.   In your case - the extractor is clearly getting good purchase on the rim of the case - I mean - it is tearing a big bloody chunk off of the case rim as the bolt moves to the rear.   That extractor isn't "slipping..." 

The more I think about it the more I suspect either: 

1) "something" is creating excessive friction between the case and the chamber...   either your bit of bronze, or the brass has somehow changed in a way similar to worn out brass so that it is not elastic and never retracts from the chamber wall after pressure drops... or excessive pressure... or... ?????

2) thinking that there may be a timing issue of some sort - in that the bolt is unlocking and beginning to move rear-ward before the pressure in the case drops - causing the bolt and extractor to have to work against a case that is still expanded against the chamber wall.   

The fact that when this has happened you've had to do real work with a cleaning rod I assume some sort of "whackin' device" to get the case to clear the chamber pretty much eliminates option 2... so...   I'm thinking your best bet is a good polish of the chamber and try again.   

That said - I'm still a fan of putting a few of those rounds through a chronograph to see just how hot they are.  Surely someone within earshot of this thread lives near Pittsburg and has one... 🙂   

Edited by BigNate

I  pretty much ruled out the extractor. Which kind of leaves tight chamber or hot ammo. I just spoke to the gun guy I know again and he feels that if it was a problem with the chamber every round should be sticking not one or two out of the past 30 or 40. I think the chamber could use a little polishing which is what I'm going to do. I'm also going to try a different ammo this weekend as well.

1 hour ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I  pretty much ruled out the extractor. Which kind of leaves tight chamber or hot ammo. I just spoke to the gun guy I know again and he feels that if it was a problem with the chamber every round should be sticking not one or two out of the past 30 or 40. I think the chamber could use a little polishing which is what I'm going to do. I'm also going to try a different ammo this weekend as well.

I would concur brother

4 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

You fukers put $3k in front of THAT,  just for the rifle & Trijicon scope,  we got a deal ......maybe😂

Psssshhhh...  You didn't even know what it was worth, when I was DEMANDING that you go buy the fucker or tell me where it's for sale...   :bitchslap::thefinger:

Took the AR10 out hunting today. Put 20 rounds through w/ zero issue. Spent cases came out the same bright shiny brass they were loaded with. Perfect extraction.  Hopefully the 2 brass/copper pieces I scrubbed out of the chamber & polishing the chamber fixed the stuck case issue I had . Time will tell. Chamber looks smoother now, I can always polish a bit more if needed. Got a few hogs today, 200 yds, 264yds,  334 yds & 464 yards. No holdovers today, dialed everything, scope tracks pretty damn well!

20210710_200213.jpg

20210710_200238.jpg

20210710_202930.jpg

20210710_200221.jpg

20210710_202942.jpg

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade