• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 value OPINION

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grease hardens over time, also in cold temps it hardens. Oil is better. don't throw that oil away.lol what i like about mobil 1 is don't get rank over time. some oil will and i have used some gun oils that smelled like crap. far as storing it. don't apply a ton of it to put it up. but when you go to the range crack it open and pull the BCG and apply it generously. 

39 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

Grease hardens over time, also in cold temps it hardens. Oil is better. don't throw that oil away.lol what i like about mobil 1 is don't get rank over time. some oil will and i have used some gun oils that smelled like crap. far as storing it. don't apply a ton of it to put it up. but when you go to the range crack it open and pull the BCG and apply it generously. 

Good tips, thanks Rick👍. Gonna let the BCG soak overnight. Heading out hog hunting again tomorrow (boss actually called me today & said to take tomorrow off,  fukr must be sick or something 😂) so I'll probably just put BCGin a Ziploc bag & install when I get out in the field. Ill report back tomorrow night when I get home if LUBE deficiency was the only issue with the gun.

31 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Can you get a close-up picture of the bolt face.  A squared off extractor can cause problems.

I posted some on page 19 of this thread. I can take more if you need a better shot. If you look at the brass, the one that got stuck in the chamber isn't shiny like the rest that worked properly.  It has black marks as if possibly a little hotter of a load? 

Screenshot_20210704-222217.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-222304.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-222317.jpg

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

37 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Thanks. These parts are the same for all AR 308 , including Armalite? 

Should be.  Worth a shot.

That's a bad piece of PPU brass.  Is that the only one that stuck and then had the rim ripped off?

Do me a favor, if you will - remove that extractor and get a few close-up pics of that thing, so I can see the groove that grabs the rim, then an additional pic of that extractor hooked up to a piece of brass, with the hook sitting on the rim.   :thumbup:

That extractor is definitely effed.  That ejector has a very tiny raduis to the edge, but it's pretty square-faced.  You could definitely remove it, chuck it in a hand drill, and round that edge off pretty well.

42 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Is that the only one that stuck and then had the rim ripped off

No. I had 1 stick  last week,  that's the shell there in the pic. 6th shot out of a clean gun. Yesterday,  I had fired about 30 rounds (not rapidly, 1 here-1 there) before I got a stuck shell. Cleared that case, also got a broken off rim. Fired 6 or 7 more and yotv1 more stuck also broke off piece of the rim. This ammo is all from the same case I ordered a year or 2 ago,. Ive shot 300-400 rounds out of that same case of PPU without issue out of the Tavor 7, RPR 308 bolt action & the AR10. Never an issue till tast Saturday. 

42 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Do me a favor, if you will - remove that extractor and get a few close-up pics of that thing, so I can see the groove that grabs the rim, then an additional pic of that extractor hooked up to a piece of brass, with the hook sitting on the rim

I've not taken one apart yet. Just drive the pin straight through?

3 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I've not taken one apart yet. Just drive the pin straight through?

Yep.  Push down on the tail of that extractor, and compress the spring, makes getting the pin out a little easier.  Use the tip of the firing pin to get it started moving, then you can grab it on the other side and pull it right out.

Was this gun ever fired before you bought it?  How many rounds through it so far?

1 minute ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

The whole BCG assemblies differ between patterns but extractors & electors "should " interchange?

Correct.   I can swap some parts, if you want, and test fit.  They both look the same to me, I've never noticed differences in those two parts, between Armalite and DPMS-based. 

Keep track of the firing pin spring when you take that BCG apart. 

Edited by 98Z5V

The extractor yes just push the pin through. The ejector take 2 45acp cases. Put 1 on the tail of the bolt. Put 1 on the face of the bolt  w/the head of the case against the ejector and clamp the whole thing in a vise. The cases keep everything from getting screwed up.

You will need to drive the pin holding the ejector out w/a punch. An extra set of hands would help.

2 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

An extra set of hands would help.

4 hands is the best way to do it...  :thumbup::laffs:

We should have taken pics of that,but that would have required a 5th hand, to run the camera...  :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Was this gun ever fired before you bought it?  How many rounds through it so far?

Very low rounds through when I bought it, I saw almost no wear signs anywhere other than some brass dust on the bolt face. Damn near looked brand new inside. I've put at least 150 -200 rounds through it. 

17 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Keep track of the firing pin spring when you take that BCG apart. 

Ive had the bcg apart & clean it every time i shot it, i just have not disassembled the extractor or ejector & wasn't sure if it was any different than an ar15 or not.

20 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

The extractor yes just push the pin through. The ejector take 2 45acp cases. Put 1 on the tail of the bolt. Put 1 on the face of the bolt  w/the head of the case against the ejector and clamp the whole thing in a vise. The cases keep everything from getting screwed up.

You will need to drive the pin holding the ejector out w/a punch. An extra set of hands would help.

I should have everything to do that except the extra hands, but i can borrow those🤣.  I should be able to follow your instructions  easy enough. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Do me a favor, if you will - remove that extractor and get a few close-up pics of that thing, so I can see the groove that grabs the rim, then an additional pic of that extractor hooked up to a piece of brass, with the hook sitting on the rim.

I'll try to get the pieces apart & the pics you asked for tomorrow.  Thanks 

7 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I'll try to get the pieces apart & the pics you asked for tomorrow.  Thanks 

For me, getting the pin out for the extractor was easy, it’s the ejector that I spent an hour or two with.  Had to make a jig to hold a case in line with the bolt to get that spring under pressure for proper pin slippage, driving that pin out with a tiny 1/16” punch.  I even ground that punch skinner for that ejector pin.  Extractor is a breeze, however.

i see now shooterrex es 45acp comment.  That sounds better than how I did it with one 308case.  

Edited by DustBuster