• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 value OPINION

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Yes, but don't make the mistake of asking how. It's like buying a DIY nuclear reactor kit with a partial instruction manual written in Klingon.

Can't be that tough if a 17 Boy Scout built something similar on his quest for an atomic energy merit badge

Google Radioactive Boy Scout, basically 17yo builds a slow breed reactor in his garden shed( didn't even use the internet)

A bit more in depth https://harpers.org/archive/1998/11/the-radioactive-boy-scout/

I like to bring this up with anti gun morons.

1 hour ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Can't be that tough if a 17 Boy Scout built something similar on his quest for an atomic energy merit badge

Google Radioactive Boy Scout, basically 17yo builds a slow breed reactor in his garden shed( didn't even use the internet)

A bit more in depth https://harpers.org/archive/1998/11/the-radioactive-boy-scout/

I like to bring this up with anti gun morons.

The story of the radioactive boy scout is well known to me! Who knew smoke detectors were the prime source for radioactive elements?

Picked up another Pelican case Saturday. Going to  customize this one for the AR10T. This is the layout  I'm leaning towards after scrapping a dozen other configurations I considered. I wanted to keep this one a little more simple than some of my previous "Apocalypse " setups.  I'll sleep on it & if I'm still happy with it by the time I  get home from work tomorrow,  I'll trace it  all out & start cutting.

Screenshot_20210607-020111.jpg

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

15 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Total weight w/ loaded mags (220 rnds) : 46.8 lb

Looks damn good, man - each one of those loaded mags is 2lbs, so you can cut 10lbs out of the weight of the case, add in maybe 2lbs again for the total weight of the empty mags, if you were gonna fly it.  Fits well under their stupid 50lb limit these days.  Good work.  :thumbup:

On 4/18/2021 at 7:03 PM, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Yes indeed! Brand new, sealed in the bag. 

Also found a used mag, not sure what it' fits. Fits the gun but doesn't lock. The mag catch isn't cut out, rear rail also doesn't run the length of the mag like the correct ones do.

20210418_203101.jpg

20210418_203116.jpg

That mag fits an M1A / M14.   It won't stick in the AR-10 because the mag catch on the M1A grabs that block on the back - and on the AR-10 the release / hold slots into the little rectangular hole on the side that is not there on this one.   I seated one of my M1A mags in the AR10 and the bolt catches on the back of the mag - bolt won't go all the way home with the magazine seated.  I understand that it won't cycle with rounds in it due to the lack of the vertical notch in the back of the mag. 

I've read that the M1A will cycle / function with an AR-10B mag in it but that the bolt won't catch when empty - although I can't see how that would work well unless you physically held the mag in place as the AR-10B mags are missing the lug that the mag release catches to hold the mag in place.  

On 4/18/2021 at 6:06 PM, Lonewolf McQuade said:

My friend delivered!

20210418_192420.jpg

20210418_192454.jpg

Sooooo... how do I get to know your friend?   🙂    I've got 2X 20rd and 2X 5 rd mags with mine - and that is not enough.   I've found a spot that claims to have Armalite 10607003 mags (25 round AR10 mags - that "LOOK" like the ones that you show here)...   However, I'm finding a bunch of conflicting information as to what the various names mean.  I understand that my "AR-10(T)" wants AR-10B magazines...  I see the name SR25 associated with some (I assume that this means "Stoner Rifle"?) which USUALLY are associated with stuff that is clearly not for my gun - but sometimes the picture matches these... I presume that those pics are in error?   Are there multiple generations of straight steel mags that look like these - or only one and they all will fit my "B" gun? 

1 minute ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Yeah, I kept the spring out of that mag & scrapped the rest since I have 13 or 14 new of the correct mags for it

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"   LOL...   If by "scrapped" you mean "threw it in a box to dispose of later" please let me know - I'll give you a few bucks for it... 🙂

8 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I'll check later but pretty sure that 1 mag housing is gone, then again, it could be in my gun junk drawer that I refuse to  clean out LOL. I'll let you know if I find it. Last I checked, ArmaLite still had the B model mags on their website, I think 30 bucks a piece?

They are there - and priced at about $35 but there does not seem to be an option to purchase them... I'm guessing they are backordered.   I've got an email out them as their office is about 10 miles from where I'm sitting now - and I'm hoping to be able to drop by and buy a box of them (they say "sales visits by appointment only")... 

Edited by BigNate
Additional Info

13 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Try calling them, website isn't always accurate on stock. 

Well - they had 5s, 10s, and 25s...    I went ahead and ordered a couple of 10s and a couple of 25s... this being mostly a bench gun I'm guessing that the 25s won't see much use - but I'll be glad to have a couple.   Thanks for the suggestion. 

1 hour ago, BigNate said:

They are there - and priced at about $35 but there does not seem to be an option to purchase them... I'm guessing they are backordered.   I've got an email out them as their office is about 10 miles from where I'm sitting now - and I'm hoping to be able to drop by and buy a box of them (they say "sales visits by appointment only")... 

They have come down on the price of those since i looked. they were like 55 each. but i probably got 10 to 15 20 rounders from many moons ago.

Edited by Belt Fed

On 6/10/2021 at 12:28 PM, BigNate said:

\  I've got an email out them as their office is about 10 miles from where I'm sitting now -

They don't take retail customers to the shop, and they have no storefront.  But, I'm local too, and have been there to purchase parts.  It's how you talk to them, on the phone, that gets you in that door.  You'll be impressed, once the door-guard lets you in.  That main office is amazing... 

Call them. Explain the situation.  You'll get an invite.