• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Alliant Powders

Steve crawford

I guess it would help if I gave the bullets that I have for each rifle.  I have 55 gr. FMJBT and  55 gr. Pointed soft point BT for the 5.56.  I have 150 gr. bulk FMJBT, 150 gr. Nosler Green tip BT, and 165 gr. Nosler Green tip BT for the 308.  Also have 2 or 3 hundred old Hornady 150 gr.  SPBT. from 20 years ago when I loaded 30-06 .  I would like to try to use one powder for both AR style rifles and my Remington 700 bolt gun in 308.  Hope that helps

35 minutes ago, Steve crawford said:

I guess it would help if I gave the bullets that I have for each rifle.  I have 55 gr. FMJBT and  55 gr. Pointed soft point BT for the 5.56.  I have 150 gr. bulk FMJBT, 150 gr. Nosler Green tip BT, and 165 gr. Nosler Green tip BT for the 308.  Also have 2 or 3 hundred old Hornady 150 gr.  SPBT. from 20 years ago when I loaded 30-06 .  I would like to try to use one powder for both AR style rifles and my Remington 700 bolt gun in 308.  Hope that helps

I wouldn't advise trying to run any soft-point bullet in a 308 AR, it may or may not work out, with failure being more common than success. It has to hurt to watch good handloads be ruined by a rifle that's designed for hard-pointed ammunition.

For 5.56 heavies, .308 Win heavies, plus .308 Win 150gr FMJ-BTs, I use Alliant RL-15, and it's spectacular.  RL-15 and Hodgdon Varget are almost identically interchangeable, for 5.56 and .308 Win load data, too.  Damn near identical twins.  For my .308 Win 178gr ELD-X load that I came up with, I used Accurate 2495. I won't use anything else for that load.

As a general rule, if it works with 5.56 heavies, it works with .308 Win heavies, too.  For 5.56 55gr range loads, I just use H-335. 

As far as Alliant powders go, they're excellent.  The others I use are RL-7 for the 25-45, and RL-22 for the .260 Rem, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Lapua Mag loads.  I don't use it, but RL-17 is supposed to be the SHEEIIITTT for .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor.  I'm not changing my .260 Rem load for anything, though.  No way, no how. 

Edited by 98Z5V

I used RL-15 for 25 years but am getting better results with their newer AR-Comp in the 308ARs. Still use the 15 in lever guns and my H&R SB Ultra. Data shows lower pressures required for similar velocities so seems to me a good long barrel powder, but maybe too much gas for my 308AR's midlength and carbine setups

On 4/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, Matt.Cross said:

I wouldn't advise trying to run any soft-point bullet in a 308 AR, it may or may not work out, with failure being more common than success. It has to hurt to watch good handloads be ruined by a rifle that's designed for hard-pointed ammunition.

I must be an exception to the rule.  I hunted with Hornady 165 gr BTSP in my 308 AR and use the 129gr BTSP in my grendel.  Both of them never had a hiccup feeding and both were MOA bullets at the 100 yards I had them sighted in for.  WI northwoods forest usually doesn't allow shots longer than 50 - 100 yards.  Yes the soft tips would get marked by the feedramps, but at that distance it made no difference accuracy wise. 

57 minutes ago, dpete said:

I must be an exception to the rule.  I hunted with Hornady 165 gr BTSP in my 308 AR and use the 129gr BTSP in my grendel.  Both of them never had a hiccup feeding and both were MOA bullets at the 100 yards I had them sighted in for.  WI northwoods forest usually doesn't allow shots longer than 50 - 100 yards.  Yes the soft tips would get marked by the feedramps, but at that distance it made no difference accuracy wise. 

It's not a rule, by any stretch of the imagination. It's simply my recommendation, I don't begrudge anyone who wants to disregard it. My only intention is to save others some grief, by all means use what you know will work for you.

• 2 weeks later...