Ederds

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I know I'm stepping in it and asking for abuse (so you win before it even starts) but some Maineiacs also know how to make low and slow southern BBQ. I learned decades ago. Not many Maineiacs, but a few. I've had some horrid faux BBQ up here, just inedible crap.

You have no idea how I bark at the flat screen when some ahole talks about BBQ and means grilling. If folks don't know what they're talking about maybe they should just shut the eff up! But that's pretty much par for the course with people in the media today. 

What little I know about mil spec AR10s (very little) is that there is no mil spec. I would find a manufacturer you want to do business with and ask what is compatible with what they make since they're all different. Can you ask your manufacturer what he was planning on doing?

That is funny BrianK. Had a girlfriend once from upstate NY. She's the one that prompted the backyard BBQ comment. First time she met my dad we were at lunch, he was having pulled pork, and she asked what it was, and he said BBQ. She didn't realize it was a noun. She also found out you do not ask my dad what he's eating, cause that means you're taking a bite. He's big on "broadening your horizons." Coincidentally she became a huge pulled pork junkie. 

The mil-spec thing was just for the buffer tube.  Mil-spec vs. commercial. Once a guy explained it to me it was way simpler than all the internet made it out to be. Also found out I guess you have to look at the Armalite vs. DPMS style barrel? It's a lot more than I bargained for, but as one that's not particularly mechanically inclined, I'm kinda getting into it. 

It's SLR. Was a bit more put together than I thought it would be, so I lucked out there. I'm just waiting on parts to start coming in in the mail. I think I can manage to put the lower together on my own. Just curious...what part would you absolutely never, ever skimp on? 

Got it. Those are the three parts I've been worrying about so maybe I'm on the right track. The barrel is it's own beast with so many options. The trigger is interesting in that I've never had anything beyond stock. Never knew how many choices there were. I do appreciate all the help folks. 

I do know Larue. As I get into it I'm seeing more and more manufacturers I remember that at the time were way above what I could afford. Guy that was starting to build the rifle for me suggested an ATC AR Gold trigger. Not sure if you guys have any experience? Definitely going for a drop in. I don't trust a trigger I put together, although I did get a full lower parts kit that comes with a trigger so I can fiddle with it and learn how to put it together. When I move out of this house somehow I see finding a lot of tiny springs as I sweep up. 

25 minutes ago, Ederds said:

I do know Larue. As I get into it I'm seeing more and more manufacturers I remember that at the time were way above what I could afford. Guy that was starting to build the rifle for me suggested an ATC AR Gold trigger. Not sure if you guys have any experience? Definitely going for a drop in. I don't trust a trigger I put together, although I did get a full lower parts kit that comes with a trigger so I can fiddle with it and learn how to put it together. When I move out of this house somehow I see finding a lot of tiny springs as I sweep up. 

The ATC SR Gold is an outstanding trigger, but I wouldn't advise you to use the AR Gold in a large platform AR as it isn't designed for it. The SR Gold is pricey, but mine has proved it's worth for right at a decade now and has never disappointed me.

Also, we're probably close enough that we can get together and you can try mine out if you'd like.

Trigger, bolt, barrel.  Yeah, I get it.  The heart of your accuracy.  Doesn't do any good if you have an accurate single shot, that doesn't cycle.  The recoil system is the heart of your reliability, if your gas system is straight.   But, just my $0.02 on the whole affair. 

Just now, Ederds said:

98Z5V...you mean the buffer spring, etc?

Receiver extension, buffer, and recoil spring.  Yes.  The heart of your reliability.  That's what KEEPS your gun running, and not a single-shot. 

7 hours ago, Ederds said:

It's SLR.

I looked these up.  It's DPMS threaded, and DPMS High pattern.  Rail choice will need to be either SLR, or anything else out there that matches DPMS High pattern, for rails.  Aero Precision is all DPMS High.  Several others are, too.  Make sure you search that and match that, when looking for a rail.

This is your receiver set, correct?

645526914_SLR308set.thumb.png.ddfd1425c269112302b36aa1698b6ff6.png

No offense intended, Ed, but getting gun details out of you is just a little bit harder than using pliers, and extracting one's own teeth here.

So.  Let's work through this.  You have a badass receiver set.  Since it's SLR, and they're rarer than hen's teeth - nobody here know how this is gonna work out.  However, all things being equal, if I had a LaRue upper matched to a LaRue lower, I wouldn't put a Midwest Industries rail on it - I'd put a LaRue rail on it.  My personal opinion is to spring for a pricey SLR rail for this gun build. FWIW.

Next, you've never stated if you intend to run a fixed rifle stock, or some sort of collapsible stock.  Therefore, it's kinda tough to tell you what recoil system parts you'd need to find.  Once that question is answered, life simplifies here.

Finally, you've never stated what you want this gun to do.  Are you slaying prairie dogs at 900 yards?  Punching paper at 300 yards?  Building this thing as your ultimate home defense weapon?  

Without a stated desire for what you want this gun to do, barrel recommendations and all other recommendations are gonna be like Lord Of The Flies for responses...