• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Ederds said:

18* barrel. it's not meant to  go long

18" barrel is a GREAT CHOICE!   Oh, that 18"barrel can run 1,000 yards, easily, just so you know.  That's a fine choice for a barrel length, Ed.  :thumbup:

Next is gas system length, for that 18"er.  I'd run a rifle gas system on that length, all day, but the midlength gas system works, too.  The rifle gas system will shoot a little softer, less felt recoil to the shoulder. 

So, the search is on - 18" rifle-length gas system barrel, or even the mid. Look for the rifle gas. 

First choice would be Ballistic Advantage, but also check to see what Faxon has available.  If neither of those two have something that meets the need, the Fulton Armory or Criterion certainly have it.  Fulton and Criterion would actually be my first choice, and the "compromise" is that the barrel is 18.5".  But ...   it's a badass barrel.

Edited by 98Z5V

Looks like Ballistics Advantage has an 18" heavy barrel w/ rifle gas, and I can add on a gas tube, low-profile gas block,  and a nitride or nickel boron BCG, and apparently all in stock. Although reading up on the nickel boron seems like the juice isn't worth the squeeze. 

8 minutes ago, Ederds said:

Looks like Ballistics Advantage has an 18" heavy barrel w/ rifle gas, and I can add on a gas tube, low-profile gas block,  and a nitride or nickel boron BCG, and apparently all in stock. Although reading up on the nickel boron seems like the juice isn't worth the squeeze. 

I dunno, I've seen about 5k rounds with no cleaning and light lube without malfunctions. I was impressed, but that's just me.

NiB is fine, if it's from a quality manufacturer, or from a reliable vendor - BA is all that, in spades, too.

NiB adds to the external dimensions, when applied.  Smart manufacturers know this, and machine accordingly, for the coating. Cheap NiB coatings can flake off.  Smart manufacturers don't cheap out on the coating, and this isn't a problem from them.

Nitride goes into the surface, doesn't add anything to the dimensions, and is a surface treatment, not a coating. 

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.  Buy a quality NiB BCG/bolt, and you can't go wrong. 

Got it. That clarifies what I'd read. Figured based on previous responses it couldn't hurt to get a barrel and BCG from the same manufacturer. Although if I go another route, sounds like a BCG with forward assist serrations wouldn't be a problem in a rifle with no forward assist? And to clarify your previous questions, 98Z5V,  this one will start out as a plinker I suppose. Going to use an adjustable stock. Have an Odin Works O2 Lite 17.5" handguard on the way, and made sure I got the high profile. Got good reviews and I'll admit, a 17.5" handguard on an 18" barrel with a fat muzzle device is what I was going for. Strictly cosmetic, and light. Probably a foregrip before a bipod most likely.  Haven't gotten as far as optics yet. Want to get it together with iron sights and go from there. I know of one place where I could stretch it out past 300 yds here, which likely just means I just don't know the right people. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Cheap NiB coatings can flake off.

Not sure if it flaked or galled from tight tolerances but had an ejector lock up on an Nib bolt once, installed an uncoated ejector  and not a problem since. nitride seems to clean just as easy as Nib for me on those rare occasions I do that so the not a coating gives nitride the edge for keeping it simple, even expensive coatings can flake, no coating, no flake.

Good to hear someone has some experience with the Odin rails. They definitely look pretty sexy, don't get too hot which I worried about from watching reviews, and light is awesome.   As I start to get the point of dealing with barrel nuts, the gas system, etc., I'm thinking I may be getting a bit above my paygrade. But parts should start coming in soon so we'll see where that goes. 

19 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Not sure if it flaked or galled from tight tolerances but had an ejector lock up on an Nib bolt once, installed an uncoated ejector  and not a problem since. nitride seems to clean just as easy as Nib for me on those rare occasions I do that so the not a coating gives nitride the edge for keeping it simple, even expensive coatings can flake, no coating, no flake.

Yep, exactly.  I'll take Nitride any day of the week.  Both of them beat the shiit out of old-skool phosphate, hands down, but I like the Nitride for the reasons you just stated.  NiB is sexy - as fuk - but I want the gun to run.  It ain't built to win beauty pageants. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks guys. That's how I understood it, and you just clarified it all. Sounds like a BA barrel, BCG, and gas system may be just as easy as piecing stuff together. Seems there's not much I can do to screw up the lower, but getting into head spacing and what not as I get to the barrel gets a little more precise. As best as I can tell. 

1 hour ago, Ederds said:

Although if I go another route, sounds like a BCG with forward assist serrations wouldn't be a problem in a rifle with no forward assist?

Just to touch on this - the forward assist is the same part, be it AR15 or .308AR.  AR15 BCGs have serrations, and the forward assist grabs them.  .308ARs don't care about serrations - because the pawl on the forward assist wouldn't grab any of those serrations anyway, because it's too short for that.

On a .308AR, the forward assist WILL GRAB the shoulder on the BCG, and if it can grab that shoulder, it WILL seat the round.  That's it's design, by it's very nature.

The AR15 shiit came WAAAAY after all the AR-10 design.  The AR15 shiit included the serrations, and that came from the US Army, stating it had to be there.

In a nutshell - forward assists DO work on Large Frame ARs - all .308ARs.  But only at that last very small "click."  The FA WILL seat a round.  But the common ideology for the Large Frames is...  if that thing didn't chamber, do I really wanna FORCE it?!...

some people say NO WAY!!!...   But I've done it.  Doesn't matter.  I wouldn't force a brand new, never fired handload like that.  But for a common load, that I've always been using?  I'm gonna make it chamber, if I have to. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Oh I know Vincent D'Onofrio well, more from one of the greatest movies of all time though. Why do you ask? I mean I don't see anything wrong with a rifle with everything clean, oiled, so that your action is beautiful. 

I do actually name most of my firearms Charlene.

Well this is embarrassing. I must have had one (or 5) too many cocktails and apparently already ordered a BCG when I ordered some other small parts. Gave an email address I rarely check and didn't remember until I saw it his my credit card. It's a Lantac nitride enhanced BCG. The reviews look good, but it brings me back to the question about the forward assist. Is it an issue if the BCG has FA serrations but my upper has no forward assist? From your explanation 98Z5V, it sounds like it isn't if I understand correctly. And the order is still being processed so I can likely cancel it if so. If not I'll just have to worry about the headspace. And thanks for that explanation of the differences between the AR-15 and the .308AR. That's I how understood it from some reading I'd done but that explanation was much simpler to understand.