• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another FNG

Ederds

Cheers all. I might take the cake for FNGest FNG. Not really new to shooting, but not particularly good. I love the .308, I like the thump and the bang. I wasn't around firearms much as a kid but by god Full Metal Jacket was my favorite movie and I was gonna have an M14. After the obligatory shotgun, an M1A was the first firearm I bought. I moved on to AR 15s, but always preferred the .308. Finally decided I wanted the best of both worlds (I'll skip the short time with a DPMS Gen 2 Recon). Long story short, I had a guy that had built a few 5.56 uppers I loved, and being quarantined for a year made it easier to save up and I was going to have him build my dream AR in .308. The whole rifle. Was gonna be my bucket list rifle. Shortly after we started he had to shut down his business unexpectedly and I end up with a upper/lower billet I'd already bought and paid for. I looked around and couldn't find anyplace I thought I could get what I wanted done for different reasons so I figured I'd just start ordering parts and see what I could do myself.  What could go wrong, right? Less than 24 hours down the rabbit hole I stumbled on this site looking for info on barrel twist or gas systems or something.  I learned more in a 5 minute video someone posted here than I'd learned in hours of searching for things on the interwebs. Look forward to learning more. Thanks for having me. 

Ed 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks gentlemen. IN NC here. Oddly enough two of my favorite TV shows and movies take place in KY and PA respectively. I do appreciate the advice Shooterrex. I learned some of the differences in a hurry, Armalite vs. DPMS, mil-spec vs. not mil-spec, what's interchangeable with an AR 15 and what isn't. I'm definitely punching above my weight class, but it's fun to sort it out. 

Thanks much folks. #Armed Eye Doc, I will argue the finer points of BBQ with someone from Texas all day,. then someone interjects thinking BBQ is something you do in your back yard with hamburgers and hot dogs and we are on the same page immediately. Not sure how #Mike.Cross feels about it, but BBQ is a fun topic to go over. Guess I do have one question now that I have this billet sitting here. What do I get next? I mean a critical; piece, (barrel, BCG). I thing have everything I need coming to complete the lower given it came mostly assembled. 

Thanks much folks. @Armed Eye Doc, I will argue the finer points of BBQ with someone from Texas all day,. then someone interjects thinking BBQ is something you do in your back yard with hamburgers and hot dogs and we are on the same page immediately. Not sure how @Mike.Cross feels about it also being from the Superior Carolina, but BBQ is a fun topic to go over. Guess I do have one question now that I have this billet sitting here. What do I get next? I mean a critical; piece, (barrel, BCG). I think I have everything I need coming to complete the lower given it came mostly assembled. I've also just quit smoking and need a project. 

19 minutes ago, DNP said:

Had some swordfish last night with avocado lime butter…it’s fantastic. 

I just spit beer on my computer screen...   :lmao:

@Ederds, Ed, what brand of billet upper and lower do you have?  That guides the rest of the recommendations... 

Edited by 98Z5V

2 minutes ago, DNP said:

He started it talking smack about my hotdogs and hamburgers. 

Yep, that did it...

3 minutes ago, Ederds said:

Sweet baby jeus\

Uh, huh...   Strap in tight, buddy - you're in this now...   :lmao:

I’m trying to find someone with a spit on a trailer. I want to do a full hog for our housewarming. And I’m not in a position to build something like that. Yet. 

welcome again. Sorry we derailed your intro thread, but we like burning meat around here. There are some great cooks around and I don’t think you’ll have anyone telling you the right way to get a good sear on your wiener.