• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How Accurate IS 7.62x39?

AprilTBevins

1 hour ago, AprilTBevins said:

Can anyone suggest how accurate is 7.62x39?

1 hour ago, sketch said:

Its as good as you make it. Rifle type and optic, or sights. Pratice is key. 

As Sketch said, rifle type and optic. Add to that quality of the ammunition. If you shoot nothing but steel case Russian surplus, don’t expect MOA accuracy in any rifle. If you shoot brass case Privi Partisan, then carefully reload the cases to good specs for your particular rifle, expect a lot better.

I’ll say new technology in these rifles is progressing forward like AR technology did in the early 2000’s. If you are ready to spend the money they can be as accurate as AR rifles, at the same cost. Some of the nicest stuff is made by Meridian. Or upgrading the handguard and dust cover to Zenitco parts will help an older rifle. Do not expect an office the shelf surplus rifle to be better than 2 MOA, it’s not happening.  Are we talking AR or AK rifles, I guess this should be clarified 

On 9/26/2021 at 1:03 PM, Cunuckgaucho said:

A SKS with surplus ammo and it's pizza box accurate.

A CZ527 will be a decent shooter and of course if you want to push the limits https://rifleshooter.com/2016/03/building-a-remington-700-in-7-62x39-mm-russian/

I've been wondering if it's possible to convert my Winchester model 70 Coyote Lite ll from 25WSSM to 7.62x39. Case & complete cartridge OAL are very close. I think I can get a barrel made next door at Shaw/ Small Arms Manufacturing. Not sure what to do about the bolt yet though. 

7 hours ago, Rsquared said:

I have one of those. :lmao:

3-4 years ago you could get an SKS and case of ammo( 1440 crate) for CAN$500, these days.  Now days prices for SKS range from $250 to $500 depending on year and model.

7 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I've been wondering if it's possible to convert my Winchester model 70 Coyote Lite ll from 25WSSM to 7.62x39. Case & complete cartridge OAL are very close. I think I can get a barrel made next door at Shaw/ Small Arms Manufacturing. Not sure what to do about the bolt yet though. 

Options if you rebarrel, original bolt/extractor, same overall case length

1. .223 Winchester Super Short Magnum
2. .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
3. .264-25 WSSM
4. .300 Olympic Super Short Magnum
5. .338 AR Short Magnum (ARSM™)
6. .358 BFG (1.625")
7. .458 B&M Super Short
8. .460 Alliance
9. .475 B&M Super Short
10. .50 B&M Super Short
11. .50 Liles
12. .500 Auto Max
13. .500 BAAR

If you also modify/rework or replace bolt/extractor there are 368 options. If there is another caliber you're considering ask and i'll check the list, 368 choices are to long to list.

The 7.62x39mm is doable if bolt /extractor modified below .25WSSM vs 7.62x39mm case dimension

464.gif 18.gif

On 9/26/2021 at 10:18 PM, Cunuckgaucho said:

3-4 years ago you could get an SKS and case of ammo( 1440 crate) for CAN$500, these days.  Now days prices for SKS range from $250 to $500 depending on year and model.

Options if you rebarrel, original bolt/extractor, same overall case length

1. .223 Winchester Super Short Magnum
2. .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
3. .264-25 WSSM
4. .300 Olympic Super Short Magnum
5. .338 AR Short Magnum (ARSM™)
6. .358 BFG (1.625")
7. .458 B&M Super Short
8. .460 Alliance
9. .475 B&M Super Short
10. .50 B&M Super Short
11. .50 Liles
12. .500 Auto Max
13. .500 BAAR

If you also modify/rework or replace bolt/extractor there are 368 options. If there is another caliber you're considering ask and i'll check the list, 368 choices are to long to list.

The 7.62x39mm is doable if bolt /extractor modified below .25WSSM vs 7.62x39mm case dimension

464.gif 18.gif

Thanks for the info & input! Much appreciated.  

• 1 year later...