• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Charging Handles?

britx303

I would like to get an ambidextrous charging handle for the 308. Is this another aspect of 308 manufacturers not having a standard and could potentially have different lengths……or are they usually all the same? The one that came with my upper is the typical mil spec type, dimensions are 6-7/8” to the latch and 8” overall, both dimensions from the interior end/tube hole. Is this somewhat of a standard? Thanks

16 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

With possible exception of a RR LAR-8, this should work well.

https://www.larue.com/products/tacops-1-sniper-for-ar10/

If you buy it and it doesn't work, I will buy it from you for what you paid, including shipping to you and to me if needed.

Thanks! Looking into it. It looks like it will be easier to grasp as it looks wider than the standard types, so can charge it easier and focus more on the pull than struggle for grip. Mainly for my girls. That stiffer spring had my wife damn near popping a forehead vein trying to pull it while struggling to grip that tiny handle. Take out the gripping issue will make pulling easier. I’ve got a feeling this 308 is going to be hers and I’m going to have to do a 2nd😉 Woe is me…….:banana:

I realize that this is both out of stock and expensive; however, it is by far the most comfortable charging handle I’ve come across. The levers you pull on are thicker vertically so you aren’t pulling on a thin edge. Haven’t used it long but appears to be built very well:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/charging-handles/ar-308-grip-n-rip-ambidextrous-charging-handle-7-62mm-prod133235.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308&avs|Manufacturer_1=daniel+defense

On 1/30/2022 at 11:17 PM, MaineMan2 said:

I realize that this is both out of stock and expensive; however, it is by far the most comfortable charging handle I’ve come across. The levers you pull on are thicker vertically so you aren’t pulling on a thin edge. Haven’t used it long but appears to be built very well:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/charging-handles/ar-308-grip-n-rip-ambidextrous-charging-handle-7-62mm-prod133235.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308&avs|Manufacturer_1=daniel+defense

I have that style on one of the 556's, but its not a DD or anything special.Just some inexpensive no-name I got a year or so ago to try out. Love it, and wish i'da bought enough for all of the 556's. Thats the type I was looking for, for the 308, but wasnt sure about possible length variations with the 308's. I found one from a parts place I get alot of my random small bits  like that.  It says is for "ar10", but didnt specify length. I threw it my cart along with some other bits/ammo and had a discount code there, so all in it was less than 30 bucks, so not too painful if it doesnt work and great if it does. Should be here Monday.

Charging handle arrived 30 minutes ago. Works great, no issue with length etc. .....its 8" so whatever thats worth......whether or not there is a difference between manufactures' IDK. Welp, feels far better, and wife likes it too................come on Shirley one of yall has a follow up to that.........I may be a new guy here, but I can take it:box1:😁

On 2/5/2022 at 5:32 AM, britx303 said:

I have that style on one of the 556's, but its not a DD or anything special.Just some inexpensive no-name I got a year or so ago to try out. Love it, and wish i'da bought enough for all of the 556's. Thats the type I was looking for, for the 308, but wasnt sure about possible length variations with the 308's. I found one from a parts place I get alot of my random small bits  like that.  It says is for "ar10", but didnt specify length. I threw it my cart along with some other bits/ammo and had a discount code there, so all in it was less than 30 bucks, so not too painful if it doesnt work and great if it does. Should be here Monday.

Post up the link!:thumbup:

6 hours ago, britx303 said:

Charging handle arrived 30 minutes ago. Works great, no issue with length etc. .....its 8" so whatever thats worth......whether or not there is a difference between manufactures' IDK. Welp, feels far better, and wife likes it too................come on Shirley one of yall has a follow up to that.........I may be a new guy here, but I can take it:box1:😁

The DMPS LR-308 pattern and Armalite AR-10 pattern both use the came charging handles.  The weird one is the Rock River Lar-8 (and it's identical predecessor, the Bushmaster BAR-10) - it's charging handle is longer than the other two listed.

Edited by 98Z5V

I recently ordered this one. Decent price & made in US. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/charging-handles/ar-308-warhammer-mod2-ambidextrous-charging-handle-prod144956.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308

Contacted Windham Weaponry to determine if it would fit my rifle beforehand.  Their customer service called me back in less than a day.  That's the second time those guys have promptly answered one of my questions.  The first time was before I even bought one of their rifles.

Just wanted to give a shout out for their excellent customer service. 

On 2/8/2022 at 10:00 PM, 98Z5V said:

The DMPS LR-308 pattern and Armalite AR-10 pattern both use the came charging handles.  The weird one is the Rock River Lar-8 (and it's identical predecessor, the Bushmaster BAR-10) - it's charging handle is longer than the other two listed.

Thank you! Before I officially joined here, I was lurking around at different threads, and thought I remembered a charging handle thread, but couldnt find it again.........admitting to a lazy search though😁

No $hit. I started laughing the moment I saw the reference.

Now, back on topic. I pretty much use the Raptor charging handles ever since I first found them years ago. But I also see the whole charging handle thing as a personal preference. Sorta like the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth argument.

On 2/5/2022 at 5:32 AM, britx303 said:

Still waiting for the link to these!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 7:47 AM, MtnMike said:

Recently went with this one.  Not as good a price as the Durkin @britx303 found - $59 at Brownells. But I have managed to keep everything on my .308 made in the US (except the scope lens covers - that is).

IMG_3310.jpg

I have the 5.56 version of that. It’s light, it works fine, but the contact areas are kinda sharp. 

Sprlurged on a Badger Ordinance charging handle and I really like it. It’s thick top to bottom and the upper forward edge is rounded so nice and comfy. Build quality seems very solid. 

• 3 months later...