• Visit Sportsmans Guide

How did you find 308AR.com forum?

imschur

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, NF1E said:

Thanks. I have owned Armalite in the past and am currently putting an M5 together using Aero parts. Having more fun than a 74 year old dinosaur should. Will be setting one of my NF ATACRs on her. Whatta Hobby!

M5 3.jpg

M5 4.jpg

Nice looking rifle!  What buffer system did you use?  Aero has a habit of using a lighter than needed buffer and spring.  This is usually offset by a small gas port.  Which leads to the question...did you measure your gas port?

Bought a complete Aero lower from a LGS and what I thought was going to be complete upper from Aero. Then this M14 guy realized a complete upper in today's lingo is not complete but minus the BCG and charging handle which I am waiting on now. Not being an AR guy, I am here to learn what I can.  Been messing with all sorts of USGI rifles for 60 years and was issued M1s and M14s during my service in the Marine Corps. Was issued one M16 in 1967 which didn't work out and was taken back to the junk yard, I think. Thank you all in advance for your patience.

Measure your gas port, check your gas tube protrusion into the upper receiver, list your barrel specs, and fully inspect and report on your recoil system - receiver extension INTERNAL DEPTH INTO THE TUBE, buffer length, buffer weight, recoil spring relaxed length, wire diameter, coil count...

Based on that information, we can tell you if the gun is gonna run, or need work. Right away.

All that stuff is fully covered in the "Waterboarding Thread" - it's right here:

By the way - welcome aboard.  Don't take this as discouragement.  Details are necessary to determine if a build will function - from one's written words over the internet.  Don't guess, don't assume that the manufacturer tells you a spec - measure it.  Determine it, and report it.

Your gun will run, if it fits the specific criteria for a running gun. Or it won't run, if it doesn't fit that criteria.

We can make it run.  With information. 

Edited by 98Z5V

5 hours ago, NF1E said:

Thanks. I have owned Armalite in the past and am currently putting an M5 together using Aero parts.

Just for keeping it real - start your own build thread with these specifics in the Build Section.  If you post it here, it's gonna get lost in the daily traffic.  Don't post your specifics in this thread.

Here's the Build Section, post your details here - start a new topic on YOUR gun:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/47-building-a-308ar/

Now that I have learned what gas tube protrusion is , I can measure it. Never really cared for these things in the past but willing to learn. If any of you have M14 question, feel free to ask, that is my forte. Old photo but that some of my M14 type rifles. Whatta Hobby!

The herd 2020 3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2010 at 11:40 PM, imschur said:

Please tell me how you ended up here whether from a link or search engine etc. The more detail you can give the better. This information helps me to perform tasks that will help generate more members.

Thanks!

I was looking for assistance & from one link to another found this one.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had some 308 dot com page(s) bookmarked through a couple computers and somewhere between 6 and 8 years. Some time in between the first and second .308 AR I was building I did a search on receiver set and parts compatibility. 308 dot com had a page that covered a lot of the differences between the Armalite pattern receivers and the DPMS pattern and I seem to recall a page that went into the Mega MATEN in detail. I think a lot of those pages changed as different products changed or went out of production but there's always been some extremely good info on the site.

I had occasionally ventured into the forum when a search engine pinged on a thread but other than lurking a bit didn't tend to dig into the forum too much. 98Z5V's avatar and comments were quite prominent on the threads I did check out.

Earlier this year the member's only old pharts board I've belonged to for the past couple decades or so appears to have died. A friend was having some issues with his rifle and I ended up checking out threads here for info and decided to finally sign up.

Over the past couple of weeks or so yet another gun board I belong to has apparently been dropped by the hosting agency, assuming the owner didn't kick the bucket or miss his payment. It's been marked 'suspended' and I assume it's more of the same libratarded woke blame everyone but the criminal crap but can't be certain.

So I'll probably hang around a bit more often and post a lot of firearm related stuff that ranges from 308 ARs, small frame ARs, mil-style/mil-surp, lever actions, 1911s plus other handguns, 22LRs, reloading and whatnot. The other major board I belong to is a bit narrow focused and hides any and all general content behind a pay wall. This place seems to have a better mix of the prime focus of the board plus other firearm content and general non-firearm discussion.

Edited by StarWolf

• 9 months later...
On 1/29/2024 at 8:58 PM, Helidonna said:

I found this site while searching AR 10 gas issues.  Great information here on how to fix your problems and allot more.  Thanks for allowing me to lurk and learn!

Welcome aboard. Much knowledge her hasn't been written so feel free to ask questions.