• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Curious

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

That reminds me...

I want to get a new scope for the Excalibur, more bolts & broadheads. @ $120 per dozen, I don't have as many arrows as I'd like. (Thanks to @Belt Fed canceling his credit cards 😡)

If your getting a new scope you can send me the old one you don't like.

I'll get it out of your way.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:16 PM, dpete said:

Just don't go deer hunting with field points like Darryl in Walking Dead.  Idiot prop people don't know the difference between a hunting and target arrow.  But that is to be expected for Hollyweird.

In my case, two matching crossbows.  The trouble is they weigh as much as a rifle.

I was surprised to hear from the owner of a archery store that hosted a Hunters Ed course that crossbows were loud. The cost is comparable to a centerfire rifle. Just my 2 bolts

Yes, they are loud. I have an Excalibur also and my neighbor 100 yards away can hear it when I shoot. But they're not as loud as a firearm.

The first time I shot it at a friends house I thought he was going to poop himself. He shoots a vertical bow and he couldn't believe the accuracy. Me? I didn't know it was something exceptional. Buy I soon learned to put the arrow where I wanted it and not to shoot a group or I could split an arrow.

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

I was surprised to hear from the owner of a archery store that hosted a Hunters Ed course that crossbows were loud. The cost is comparable to a centerfire rifle. Just my 2 bolts

You can tone down the noise with string stops and vibration dampeners, but they are still louder than a vertical bow.  The consolation is at ethical bow hunting distances it doesn't matter.  At a measured 385 fps and 20-30 yards away the bolt is through the deer before it reacts to the shot noise. 

Yep, the cost of big name new crossbows is insane.

Edited by dpete

On 5/20/2022 at 2:47 PM, Sisco said:

That is the deal. For every fire fight your culmative chances of survival drop quickly. Got 1,000 rounds? Chances are before you use half of it, you won't be needing it any more. 

Yep and there are a couple of old SOBs that are too old and crippled to run, so we will reach out and touch someone while shooting thru heavy lenses, then put-put back to another hide-hole , probably only a hundred rounds of .308 and six .357 and a couple of .45ACP extra mags will be enough to use before biting the dust, I am too old to worry about a life sentence.  Maybe I can give the young and dangerous some extra time, to get hunkered down...Semper-Fi

Edited by mrmackc