• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's backup .260 Rem AR

98Z5V

Okay, this really isn't a backup, but I'll shoot it if I need to.  This one is Kim's .260 Remington.  Started with a barrel on sale from Wilson Combat (and finally back into production after a haitus).  That turned into an upper quickly, within a month.  That was around Christmas time, and directly after.  Last month, I realized I needed to get off my a$s and get this thing finished, or the Fall Shoot would sneak up on me quick - and it wouldn't be finished.  :bat:

• Receivers:  Aero Precision M5 stripped upper and lower, M5 15" rail.
  • Gas System:  Wilson Combat .260 Rem Precision Hunter 20" rifle gas barrel. 0.750" gas block journal, gas port drilled to 0.080".  Generic lo-pro standard gas block (non-adjustable), and Armalite AR-10 15.5" rifle gas tube.  Ballistic Advantage nitrided BCG.   Everything exits through the VG-6 PRS-65 brake and lock collar.
  • Recoil System:  VLTOR RE-A5 7-position receiver extension, Armalite EA-1095 recoil spring, Odin Works "AR15 Heavy" adjustable carbine buffer, maxed out at 5.75oz.
  • Controls:  LaRue MBT-2S trigger, BADASS Ambi Satefy (0-90), BAD-EPS takedown and pivot pins, BAD investment-cast bolt catch, standard AR15 mag catch.
  • Furniture:  B5 Systems coyote stuff, P-23 grip and new Precision Stock. 
  • Sighting:  LaRue LT-745 10-MOA mount on there.  Right now the LaRue RMR ring half is on there, with a Holosun 507C red dot.  That red dot and ring half won't stay, but I wasn't taking the mount apart just to keep track of the smaller screws right now.  Glass will be the Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 HD scope, 6-24x50, in mils.

Thoughts on some of the parts...   First time I've used the BAD bolt catch, on a big gun - lot's of them used on the small-frame ARs, and they're very worthy - very nice.  .  It's perfect in the M5 system, and locks back directly on the bolt face, on both P-Mags and Lancers.  Also, first time I've used the BAD-EPS takedown and pivot pins...   they're little works of art, and fit M5 receivers amazingly well.  The B5 Systems Precision Stock is unreal.  It's pricey, has some heft to it (but it's nowhere near the weight of a MagPul PRS stock).  Impressive things in the design are what gets me, like spring loaded rows of small ball bearings inside, both sides, to make sure it's locked up TIGHT on the receiver extension, but also adjusts smoothly.  I won't be able to set the final stock position (and know what position it needs to be in) until I get the optic mounted.  Fells right, where it's at now.  Bottom line will be - where does Kimmy need it set at?...  We'll probably be able to handle that with stock position on the extension, rather than fine adjustments of the buttplate adjustment and cheek riser adjustment.  Where ever it needs to be for her, I'll be able to work around it and still shoot it.

Enough talk - here it is:

IMG_0866.thumb.JPG.dc12332cac117a0b04d217dd439c8b0c.JPG

IMG_0867.thumb.JPG.34ee198991b64b235665999dc2d782a8.JPG

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.1be36cd3af8feb829211fefd99171c02.JPG

IMG_0869.thumb.JPG.b3c000e91838d0561d0c2edb5eb3f0e0.JPG

IMG_0871.thumb.JPG.6980bfc4900038f6ffcb3ab03b957c84.JPG

IMG_0870.thumb.JPG.6680f4f40f977c78a961b11d3685e7b0.JPG

IMG_0872.thumb.JPG.803f5ab26eef4601df803471c97d7165.JPG

IMG_0873.thumb.JPG.9cb1689daacdef5ce17f63d4de4c92a6.JPG

IMG_0874.thumb.JPG.1d618cf5974cbacec77ac43414ad9ac7.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

On 7/10/2022 at 1:45 PM, 98Z5V said:

Okay, this really isn't a backup, but I'll shoot it if I need to.  This one is Kim's .260 Remington.  Started with a barrel on sale from Wilson Combat (and finally back into production after a haitus).  That turned into an upper quickly, within a month.  That was around Christmas time, and directly after.  Last month, I realized I needed to get off my a$s and get this thing finished, or the Fall Shoot would sneak up on me quick - and it wouldn't be finished.  :bat:

• Receivers:  Aero Precision M5 stripped upper and lower, M5 15" rail.
  • Gas System:  Wilson Combat .260 Rem Precision Hunter 20" rifle gas barrel. 0.750" gas block journal, gas port drilled to 0.080".  Generic lo-pro standard gas block (non-adjustable), and Armalite AR-10 15.5" rifle gas tube.  Ballistic Advantage nitrided BCG.   Everything exits through the VG-6 PRS-65 brake and lock collar.
  • Recoil System:  VLTOR RE-A5 7-position receiver extension, Armalite EA-1095 recoil spring, Odin Works "AR15 Heavy" adjustable carbine buffer, maxed out at 5.75oz.
  • Controls:  LaRue MBT-2S trigger, BADASS Ambi Satefy (0-90), BAD-EPS takedown and pivot pins, BAD investment-cast bolt catch, standard AR15 mag catch.
  • Furniture:  B5 Systems coyote stuff, P-23 grip and new Precision Stock. 
  • Sighting:  LaRue LT-745 10-MOA mount on there.  Right now the LaRue RMR ring half is on there, with a Holosun 507C red dot.  That red dot and ring half won't stay, but I wasn't taking the mount apart just to keep track of the smaller screws right now.  Glass will be the Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 HD scope, in mils.

Thoughts on some of the parts...   First time I've used the BAD bolt catch.  It's perfect in the M5 system, and locks back directly on the bolt face, on both P-Mags and Lancers.  Also, first time I've used the BAD-EPS takedown and pivot pins...   they're little works of art, and fit M5 receivers amazingly well.  The B5 Systems Precision Stock is unreal.  It's pricey, has some heft to it (but it's nowhere near the weight of a MagPul PRS stock).  Impressive things in the design are what gets me, like spring loaded rows of small ball bearings inside, both sides, to make sure it's locked up TIGHT on the receiver extension, but also adjusts smoothly.  I won't be able to set the final stock position (and know what position it needs to be in) until I get the optic mounted.  Fells right, where it's at now.  Bottom line will be - where does Kimmy need it set at?...  We'll probably be able to handle that with stock position on the extension, rather than fine adjustments of the buttplate adjustment and cheek riser adjustment.  Where ever it needs to be for her, I'll be able to work around it and still shoot it.

Enough talk - here it is:

IMG_0866.thumb.JPG.dc12332cac117a0b04d217dd439c8b0c.JPG

IMG_0867.thumb.JPG.34ee198991b64b235665999dc2d782a8.JPG

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.1be36cd3af8feb829211fefd99171c02.JPG

IMG_0869.thumb.JPG.b3c000e91838d0561d0c2edb5eb3f0e0.JPG

IMG_0871.thumb.JPG.6980bfc4900038f6ffcb3ab03b957c84.JPG

IMG_0870.thumb.JPG.6680f4f40f977c78a961b11d3685e7b0.JPG

IMG_0872.thumb.JPG.803f5ab26eef4601df803471c97d7165.JPG

IMG_0873.thumb.JPG.9cb1689daacdef5ce17f63d4de4c92a6.JPG

IMG_0874.thumb.JPG.1d618cf5974cbacec77ac43414ad9ac7.JPG

THAT is a kick a$$ rifle!!! 

• 98Z5V changed the title to 98's backup .260 Rem AR
4 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Way better than any flower arrangement you could give her.

She gets daiseys.  Literally.  Those are her fav flowers.

However, ...   I've tried to teach her to shoot - and she's not bad.  I'm trying to teach her to shoot some of these competitions.  I hope she takes it well. I really do. She probably WON'T take it well... 

Women typically CANNOT listen to their own man.  They just fukkin CAN'T.  Or, they WON'T.  Listen to their own man. That's just how it is.

You can tell one exactly what they need to do to be successful at (insert whatever task), and if it's YOUR OWN WOMAN...  they WILL NOT listen to you.  Now, I can whisper into a buddy's ear, "Tell my wife to do THIS..."...   and she'll fukking LISTEN TO IT!!!  Didn't come from me...  I wasn't "telling her what to do all the time..." , or whatever.  That's a "wife-block" that they have, where they just CANNOT listen to logical information that you're presenting them, and APPLY it.  It's not that they don't understand - it's just that "they refuse" - because it came from YOU... 

I can make her a damn sniper, if she'll listen to me.  She probably won't.  That means I need to teach @JBMatthow to train all this shiit that I already train - and HE can teach her.  That's just the way it usually is.

***watch Matt walk in here and say he knew all this shiit before he met me, and shot with me...***  :lmao:

Not just wives - daughters won't take advice from their dads either (at least mine).  I actually would pay my most qualified buddy to give my daughter the exact information and training I could have given her for free.  However, since the buddy was a "pro" and she knew the training was paid for, she'd listen and follow the training from him.  Good news is that both daughters are now grown, out of the house and married to fairly decent fellows - and we all shoot well!

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

***watch Matt walk in here and say he knew all this shiit before he met me, and shot with me...***

I didn't know a whole lot about any of this stuff 7 or so years ago.  But I've pulled a trigger with intention 500,000 times or more and I'm a quick learner.  It's simple, really.  I just watch what you do and do the opposite.

Ya know the difference between you and me?  I make this shiit look goooood...  :thumbup:

:laffs:

Edited by JBMatt

13 hours ago, JBMatt said:

I didn't know a whole lot about any of this stuff 7 or so years ago.  But I've pulled a trigger with intention 500,000 times or more and I'm a quick learner.  It's simple, really.  I just watch what you do and do the opposite.

Ya know the difference between you and me?  I make this shiit look goooood...  :thumbup:

:laffs:

Ya jackass!!!   :lmao:   Your quick wit is why I like you so much...   :thefinger:

Just a word on that stock.  B5 doesn't sell it directly from their own website, and it's not listed on their website.  They've JUST listed it on their own website, but I didn't see a way for you to purchase there.  All 3 sizes are listed.   B5 won the .mil contract for that stock to replace/outfit all the M110 service rifles.  Therefore, it's listed for $225, and you won't see it much below that, anywhere, because contract vendors to the military (B5 in this case) have to sell their wares to the public, for the same price that they sell them to the military.  That $600 hammer that the military buys - is gonna cost you $600, too.  That's also why genuine KAC M110 rifles individually are $15k, and the full kit setup is $25k. 

Now, on the stock...  it's listed as small, medium and large.  That's ONLY referencing the adjustable riser size.  Mine is the small.  I've never seen a medium advertised anywhere, but I bet it would have worked for me.  My choice was small or large, and there's no way the large will work on most lengths-of-pull for .308ARS, and still clear the charging handle.  So, I had Gun Pusher John get the small version.  For visual reference, the medium cheek riser would be longer towards the front of the rifle, the large even moreso.

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2022_07/IMG_0870.JPG.347065449855382b2cb3ce5e52a56f2c.JPG

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2022_07/IMG_0872.JPG.7202810db63b22e497faefb65e9b1e0c.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

Found this out, on their length information:  The short/small with clear the M110 charging handle when fully collapsed.  The medium with clear the M4 charging handle when fully collapsed.  The long/large is designed for side-chargers and rifles equipped with side-folders like the LAW Tactical.  <<<Buuuut...  you can't charge the rifle with the LAW folder (folded), and the action won't cycle with the LAW folder (folded).   That large/long once doesn't make sense to me... 

5 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

I wonder if you can paint on a small daisy on the rifle or maybe invent a new cammo patteren called daisy flower to paint the rifle?

I can do that.  I'll daisy-camo this thing, but with all dirt-colors.  Great idea, brother!  :thumbup:  It'll get the Sexual Chocolate base, first. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2022 at 1:59 AM, 98Z5V said:

Women typically CANNOT listen to their own man.  They just fukkin CAN'T.  Or, they WON'T.  Listen to their own man. That's just how it is.***  :lmao:

You’re damn sure right about this.  It’s totally amazing.  They go in to an absolute mental block, intentional or habitual, whatever … 🤷‍♂️

Edited by GRA

On 7/11/2022 at 9:36 PM, 98Z5V said:

Just a word on that stock.  B5 doesn't sell it directly from their own website, and it's not listed on their website.  They've JUST listed it on their own website, but I didn't see a way for you to purchase there.  All 3 sizes are listed.   B5 won the .mil contract for that stock to replace/outfit all the M110 service rifles.  Therefore, it's listed for $225, and you won't see it much below that, anywhere, because contract vendors to the military (B5 in this case) have to sell their wares to the public, for the same price that they sell them to the military.  That $600 hammer that the military buys - is gonna cost you $600, too.  That's also why genuine KAC M110 rifles individually are $15k, and the full kit setup is $25k. 

Now, on the stock...  it's listed as small, medium and large.  That's ONLY referencing the adjustable riser size.  Mine is the small.  I've never seen a medium advertised anywhere, but I bet it would have worked for me.  My choice was small or large, and there's no way the large will work on most lengths-of-pull for .308ARS, and still clear the charging handle.  So, I had Gun Pusher John get the small version.  For visual reference, the medium cheek riser would be longer towards the front of the rifle, the large even moreso.

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2022_07/IMG_0870.JPG.347065449855382b2cb3ce5e52a56f2c.JPG

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2022_07/IMG_0872.JPG.7202810db63b22e497faefb65e9b1e0c.JPG

This looks awesome 👍👍👍 

Doing something similar myself.  Splurged on one of Wilson’s SS .243 barrels and BCG, and a 20” SS Wilson’s .260 Remington barrel with BCG.  I’m just building uppers and for the DPMS lower being sold by CDNN sales.  I called ArmaLite to see if either barrel and BCG would work on an ArmaLite upper but they had no clear answer.  Wilson told me it was the DPMS II profile but I have yet to find that upper receivers.  As usual such builds are slow works in progress.👍

1 hour ago, GRA said:

I called ArmaLite to see if either barrel and BCG would work on an ArmaLite upper but they had no clear answer.  Wilson told me it was the DPMS II profile but I have yet to find that upper receivers.  As usual such builds are slow works in progress.👍

I have experience with this - but the other way around.

I put all Armalite guts into Aero Precision M5 receivers, and the gun runs 100% flawlessly.  AR-10 Barrel, BCG, gas system, complete recoil system, in M5 receivers.  It's a beast.

Based on that, the direct opposite has to work.  All DPMS-based parts (which the WC are) have to fit the AR-10 receivers.  Must.  Otherwise, my experiment never would have worked. 

On 9/3/2022 at 11:46 PM, 98Z5V said:

I have experience with this - but the other way around.

I put all Armalite guts into Aero Precision M5 receivers, and the gun runs 100% flawlessly.  AR-10 Barrel, BCG, gas system, complete recoil system, in M5 receivers.  It's a beast.

Based on that, the direct opposite has to work.  All DPMS-based parts (which the WC are) have to fit the AR-10 receivers.  Must.  Otherwise, my experiment never would have worked. 

Thank you.  Will be giving this a try.  If it works we should do a sticky on it.