• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Neat Place You've Got Here

MarkLeupold

Hello from central Iowa.

Came across 308AR.com this year while planning out my newest rifle build and, boy howdy, there's a lot of good information here I don't think I could've found anywhere else!

My build is pretty much complete, just need to get it out and test fire it once I get the time to. The important stuff:

Aero M5 upper and lower

11.75" Bartlein .308 Win barrel, carbine gas, the port was in the ~.082 size

JP High Pressure Full Mass BCG

VLTOR A5 buffer tube

Carbine H2 buffer

Tubbs AR-10 flat wire spring (I came across the recommendation of at least an H3 buffer and no flat wire springs too late)

BRT EZ-Tune gas tube, they gave me a .062 gas port for my setup. We'll see if it works.

It also has a LAW folding adapter on it.

I'll certainly be around trying to soak up information and probably asking a few noobish questions since this is my first venture into large frame rifles.

I'll definitely be back later when I try to suppress this rifle with a CGS Hyperion QD, preferably without an adjustable gas block...it'll be an adventure, and I'll need some guys that know more than me!

And I guess I do have a noob question to start off with: I've got a Cross Machine and Tool UHPR 11.9 Gen 2 rail on this rifle and it doesn't have any handy alignment features on it. Does anyone have experience with a good way to consistently align the handguard with the upper receiver? With any luck, this will get a clip on thermal unit in the future and I want to make sure everything is as aligned as it can be when the time comes.

1 hour ago, jim3326 said:

Slide this on your upper and hand guard and clamp in vise.

wheeler-ar10--ar15-upper-receiver-block-_-ar-vise-block.jpg

4 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

I just clamp a scope mount across the upper and rail till I get the rail tight.

IMG_20230111_205117.jpg

Awesome, nice and easy solutions!

47 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

@MarkLeupold, welcome to the forum.

My first observation of your build is that it appears that you have assembled a short barreled rifle.  A carbine buffer tube and a sub-16 inch barrel is a rifle that needs an NFA tax stamp.  I just want to make sure that you don't unknowingly get a felony.

Yep, thanks for the concern, but I'm informed on the subject. That's why it's in its full form only in a drawing right now.

5 hours ago, MarkLeupold said:

BRT EZ-Tune gas tube, they gave me a .062 gas port for my setup. We'll see if it works.

This is gonna be fun.  I look forward to how this one will go.  I have a 12.5" .308 Win barrel, 0.750" gas block diameter, with a custom 11.00" gas tube based on gas port location on the weird barrel config.  Port diameter is 0.070".  Runs like a champ.

Seems like this will be close.  Welcome aboard, man.

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This is gonna be fun.  I look forward to how this one will go.  I have a 12.5" .308 Win barrel, 0.750" gas block diameter, with a custom 11.00" gas tube based on gas port location on the weird barrel config.  Port diameter is 0.070".  Runs like a champ.

Seems like this will be close.  Welcome aboard, man.

Yep, mine's also a .750" gas block. Carbine length tube is the AR-15 length, so it's pretty short. Gas tube looks to end in about the right spot on the cam pin cutout. I'm way more comfortable with drilling around on a gas tube if it does need to be opened up some! 😅 

I'll get her running right and then start all over when I get my suppressor for it.

• 2 weeks later...