• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The chainsaw to rule all chainsaws.

Cunuckgaucho

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

#1.  How much does it cost...

#2.  Can we collectively, here, raise that much money...

The helicopter is a Hughes MD500  - so that's a Little Bird, literally.  We can make this happen.  What you think @Rsquared?

#1You don't even have real trees?? 

#2 that's Matt cross from another mountain. 😆

23 minutes ago, sketch said:

#1You don't even have real trees?? 

#2 that's Matt cross from another mountain. 😆

#1.  Doesn't matter - I'll fly to where real trees are, just to RIP that thing from a helicopter.

#2.  That IS Matt Cross... 

13 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

That's a good idea, more useful working load, and can have a door gunner man the Dillon minigun, just in case some squirrels get out of hand, or something....

@Robocop1051 loves squirrels.  Just sayin'.  We can't be rippin' up squirrels with a vertical chainsaw, because that's LESS squirrels for him to handle.  Just wouldn't be right. 

On 2/14/2023 at 9:44 PM, 98Z5V said:

@Robocop1051 loves squirrels.  Just sayin'.  We can't be rippin' up squirrels with a vertical chainsaw, because that's LESS squirrels for him to handle.  Just wouldn't be right. 

You're absolutely right, ripping up squirrels with a saw would be unethical. That's exactly what the minigun was for, handling any over-aggressive tree rats that might take exception to the modification of their natural habitat.

14 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

You're absolutely right, ripping up squirrels with a saw would be unethical. That's exactly what the minigun was for, handling any over-aggressive tree rats that might take exception to the modification of their natural habitat.

I'm really liking your mini-gun approach.  This might lead to something...   :laffs:

I can see Rob pulling this, on his annual squirrel hunt...   :lmao:

Yeah, now that's one heck of a saw! I think I'd want a spotter if I was the pilot though. I really hate putting a blade in the dirt and rocks as it looked like he did.

Chainsaws.... We heat with wood when it gets really cold. It'll drive us out if I light the woodstove when it's much above 20°F. So I have chainsaws to support the wood heat with the 45 acres of wood growth that we own. One is a 5 hp and the other 3hp but I really don't like to fiddle with gas mix when I just have a small job or 2 so those jobs never get done. Heck, when I did have the gas saws ready to go for bigger jobs I never remembered the small jobs and again, they never got done. 

OK, I'm going to write exactly what I told a neighbor, we'll get back to that. Don't laugh is what I told him and I suggest it here. The wife  asked what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a battery powered chainsaw. I had experience with an electric chainsaw 50 years ago, none of it good. But I had been hearing about the new crop of battery saws and all of it was positive, so after a mess of online research I asked for one. I'm in the Makita system and don't need a bench full of chargers and various batteries that exist for orphan tools, so I specified Makita and was told to buy it. I got a 36v saw; it takes 2 18v batteries and has a 16" bar. 

I used it very briefly to get a fallen trees limbs out of my driveway at the start of the cold season and I was surprised. Based on my previous negative experience 50 years ago it actually was capable of cutting wood and doing a credible job. The saw 50 years ago was just a POS and not worth a nickle. The Makita wasn't any of my gas saws with huge chain speed, but it was decent. Battery draw was minimal but I have yet to use it for a really big job.

OK, back to my neighbor. He was over and the conversation got turned to saws and I asked him not to laugh, but I also had a battery operated saw, yada, yada, and it was a decent performer. OK, now my neighbor cuts trees and sells to the mills. I was surprised to hear that he had one too (MIlwaukee) and he liked it. Told me that he puts it on the back of his snowmobile to get trees out of the trail so that he doesn't need to play with gas mix. 

OK, for cutting trunks into stove length I'll keep my bigger saws, esp' the 5hp* but for limbing the lightweight  battery saw is going to see use. Also for the previous mentioned small jobs. It always has charged batteries in place and bar/chain oil in the tank and is ready to go. No ear protection required either, just grab and go.

*I don't remember the Husky model number (I think it ends with an "XP") but it has special mods so that it revs up higher for higher chain speed. It's a beast. As I age I appreciate lighter saws when their use is appropriate, like limbing and felling smaller trees.

1 minute ago, BrianK said:

The wife  asked what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a battery powered chainsaw.

I bought a Milwaukee electric chainsaw a few years ago, and haven't looked back since buying it.  It's BADASS.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Saws/2727-21HD

One thing I have found, and it's a bad habit on my part. Any saw should be up to full rpms before touching the chain to wood. The centrifugal clutch needs the rpms so as not to slip and due to the power my gas saws have I hit the throttle and immediately start cutting before full RPMs. But they are only the barest split second behind. The battery saw needs full rpm or it'll stall. That's good corrective therapy for my bad habit.