• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range report

Taking the 50 round Magpul drum magazine with me on my lake shoot this weekend.  That and the Precision Armament M4-72 muzzle brake on my Windham might offend a few of the neighbors as well.  Toughskins.  Been curious to see if the drum magazine will reliably function all the way fully loaded.

Funny about the levergun home defense - I consider my 357Mag Henry as the perfect walking around home defense/checkthingsoutfrontatnight rifle - who the hell pays attention to the old man with the levergun?

357 Mag carbine in the neighborhood? more than enough to put an end to a stupid attack, y'know?

15 hours ago, Traveler said:

Funny about the levergun home defense - I consider my 357Mag Henry as the perfect walking around home defense/checkthingsoutfrontatnight rifle - who the hell pays attention to the old man with the levergun?

357 Mag carbine in the neighborhood? more than enough to put an end to a stupid attack, y'know?

Agree, but mine is the Henry 44 Mag carbine. It’s too pretty for the neighbors to complain.

On 5/18/2023 at 12:46 AM, 98Z5V said:

Because YOU'RE TOO PRETTY...  the neighbors complain...   :lmao::laffs:

Nosey folks ought not gossip so much - have they nothing better to do?

On 5/18/2023 at 12:44 PM, Sisco said:

well keep it secret will you? The wife gets jealous of all the attention I get. 😍

Damn I'm glad I got homey as hell as I matured! I was SO tired of my wife getting jealous of the attention I'd get from so many men. I think she may have felt a little insecure in her womanliness. 🙁

• 1 month later...

Finally got the chance to re-sight-in the Windham R16SFST-308 with the new scope.  This gun was my first "AR10" and has been modified for hunting whitetails as it's primary objective.  I still f@ckin& love this gun.

Got  a helluva deal on a "blem" Leupold 2-12x42 VX6HD illuminated fire dot duplex a while back from Midway, more than 50% off, about a grand below current MSRP.  Nice f@ckin& hunting scope IMHO.

Anyway, the main point of this post was to report on how the rifle performed with 2 very different ammos. 

I'd previously determined that this rife is very happy on a diet of plain vanilla Federal Powershok 150g SP. I know some folks have issues running SP bullets through their ARs.  But this gun, to my recollection, has never had a FTF with anything.  Probably over a 1000 rounds, at least 10 different ammos. Re-zeroed it in quickly.  Getting 1 to 1.25" groups of 3 at 100 yards with the Federal Powershok off a plastic folding table.  She's ready to hunt.

Happened to have a can of of Hornady Precision Hunter 178g ELD-X ammo with me. This is the ammo of choice for my DD DD5V3.  It is stupidly accurate with this stuff.  I'm talking walk down and double check the target at 100 yards to see if you missed 2 shots or they all went in the same hole (which is the case) accurate.

You would think that 2 AR10s, both with 16" barrels with a 1:10 twist would like the same ammo.  Nope. The Windham doesn't like the 178g ELD-X for $hit. 4+" groups at a 100 yards.  I cannot explain it. 

But if the old gal prefers to eat cheap 150g SP, which knocks the deer down just fine, then that's what I'll happily feed her. Always liked a gal who could appreciate the breakfast bar at Shoney's.

That's my range report for today.

Hope I never have to shoot a Grizzly.  Would love to see one in the wild - from a reasonable distance.  Black bears where I am are more of nuisance; rarely impressive.  A couple of bow hunters one county over got a 500 pounder last fall.  New state record (NC).  That one WAS impressive.

Eff them Grizzlies they are just fodder for a trebuchet... looks like Idaho may have the first grizzly legal hunt they are getting pretty thick in this country and that is not goodsleeping in the back country takes on a whole new meaning....