• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

Yup shepp.

Wifey had bought a couple of the pre-roasted birds at the grocery store the past couple of years.  Asked me to tear them up, so she could use the meat in whatever recipes.  Very greasy, down to the center of the meat, lots of inedible shite.  Lots of Dawn to wash that grease off.

This free-range chicken was very clean, fat was easy to separate...actually in little pockets ON the meat, not in it.

Went to wash my hands, that fat was darn near water soluble!

Makes me wonder what that does to your innards...that nasty chicken.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was that bone in on the butt? Next time start it around midnight and let it rest for about 5 hours wrapped in foil. I love to do 2 butts on my weber overnight and it always turns out great. Also shoot for a internal temp of 180 and let it rest. Every time I cook mine the bone comes out clean and easy.

Looks good in the pics! Reminds me of the first cook I did on the shoulder.

IMG_0782_zpscad4ef22.jpg

IMG_0784_zpsa81f1d06.jpg

Those pics are chicken parts smoked instead of beercan chicken...got burnt out on that.....so you rub your fav rub on the chicky

then put em on the smoker at 180 for 30 mins making good smoke...then crank up to 325 for 1.5 hours...and 45 mins before they come off you baste em with Shepp's super peach bbq glaze....my oh my.....best darn chicken ever! :)Wash

ps Much thanks Neal

Edited by washguy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rene This might be what we need. you know you being a wood burner chef you might not like the lack of lots of smoke from the gmg smoker. So, ive been researching cold smoke generators....one of which is the smoke daddy big kahuna

Well the big kahuna doesnt work so well with the gmg cause the fan puts positive pressure in the smoker and causes the big daddy not to work....so a few nites ago while sleeping i had a dream about what could make it work....woke up and scribbled it down. called the owner with my idea and he is sending me one to experiment with....I think my idea is gonna work and put more smoke into the grill....will know by this

weekend....could be great....and for you Shepp...have you ever cold smoked cheese?

Wash

been researching cold smoking cheese.....no big deal...your ideal time for cold smoking is of course the fall and winter because outside temps have to be below 90 degrees....looks like WI string, gouda are the best candidates......and you only smoke for an hour or so without the grill/smoker even on...standby oughta have the real deal here and modified by the weekend.....also it should be killer smoke for our gmg smokers Rene or any other that doesn't give you as much smoke as you want....gotta go get cherrywood for the cheese already got hickory chips and hickory chunks for the hot smokin :) Wash

we can do beef jerky too!

Make your own Smoked Beef Jerky at home. Cold Smoked Beef Jerky is easy and delicious to make at home.

Ingredients:

· 2 lbs. lean beef (I round, round steak, London broil, etc.)

· 1 SmokePistol cartridge

· 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce

· 1/2 cup of soy sauce

· 2 tablespoons of ketchup.

· 1/2 teaspoon salt

· 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

· 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Preperation and how to cold smoke beef jerky:

Beef jerky is a cold smoked item. This means you don't need any heat except to help dry the meat. The more air circulation the better and the less heat you need. You can use an old computer fan or any other fan to move the air.

Preparation

Slice beef to be smoked in 1/4 inch strips (the thicker the more tender while thinner will be easier to chew)

Place all ingredients in a plastic or glass bowl and stir until well combined to create a marinade.

Add meat making sure all pieces are submerged and covered with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.

Remove meat from marinade and let drain.

Place strips of meat on a rack so they do not touch.

Place the rack into a box with a fan to circulate air or a well ventilated smoker.

Start the smoke daddy and allow the smoke to enter the box.

Smoke meat for about 5 hours checking after about 4 hours. Meat should be dry but not hard.

Edited by washguy

Jeff I've got a much better jerky recipy ill pm you. It's what I use for venison and goose, but I've also made beef jerky with it also.

Jerky is the reason I bought my smoker got sick of doing it I. The dehydrater

great! i just found the recipe on the net....dunno nuthin bout jerky.....Char does that for me lol

:) Wash

I was just going to ask you how it was going in the lab

Yeppers You and Rene need this...lol had to take 3 showers yesterday because of hickory smoke that was in my hair and clothes....The true test came when I cut my finger open,,,,sure enuff....there was a nice smoke ring! ill post vids and pics later btw we had another pork loin with smoke and your superfine

peach bbq glaze....used cherry wood chips in the big daddy.....daadgum tasty and it cut like butter :) Wash

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic