• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

I brined a duck for thanksgiving, crushed in a mortar + pestle some garlic, shallots and rosemary (around 1/3 cup total), salt, water and some light brown sugar. It was awesome.

Store bought or wild? I brined that free range chicken I did in salt and brown sugar.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It all started with a long night, went ice fishing last night and ended up staying the night in my shack it was -20 my quad and wouldn't start. I had plenty of wood in the wood box so I stayed the night till either my buddy showed up or it was warm enought to get the quad running. Finally was able to get it running at 9am this morning. Came home started the smoker and started prepping the bird.

Stuffed the bird with one onion 1/4'd, 1 apple sliced, 1 potato, 3 garlic cloves chopped, 1/2 and orange peal a lemon, 3sage leaves and a bunch of tyme, all tossed in olive oil (had sat over night)

Rubbed bird with olive oil that had a bunch of tyme and 4sage leaves soaking in it over night, sweet paprika, black pepper and chipotle powder

Being in a daze I totally forgot to inject butter.

In the smoker below the bird I placed a pan with water, apple juice, dried sage and tyme, two carrots a rib of celery and all the giblets minus the liver. 30 min before the bird was done I removed this pan and made an Ajue with this after straining and cooking down for 30 min.

There was no need for butter this bird was magnum juicy!!!!! Sadly in all my daze and confusion I forgot to take a finish bird photo I also had the whole house watching me carve the bird

This is all I've got left if 16#, it cooked surprisingly fast I actually turned it down @ 2pm because I was at 140* and didn't want it to finish before everyone got here. But now I know how long it will take @ 275*

post-12796-0-27360400-1387942003_thumb.j

Heres bird #2 for our dinner.....do the rub and butter and fresh herbs under the skin of breast night before

inject as much butter as you can just before putting it on....put in the apples celery and onion  in cavity just before too

so have the smoker at 325 with water bath underneath filled with celery,apples,onions.. in my new smoke daddy i used pecan chips and hickory chips to help the gmg put more smoke on the bird...baste with liquid in the pan after it has cooked down......(bout 2 hours) and pull it off about 165 internal....total time bout 4 hours.... put in cooler for an hour with towels on top and bottom...of course the bird is wrapped in foil...so it doesnt taste like a year old  miller lite  :)  Wash

IMG_0974_zpse7bcfaf1.jpg

IMG_0980_zps16785d9f.jpg

IMG_0986_zps8d7aac40.jpg

Here's a pork loin smoked at 325 dgrees for 2 hours until internal is 165 degrees.....this was done with the smoke daddy providing the extra smoke

the last 15 mins you baste with Shepp's awesome peach bbq sauce...available everywhere gourmet foods are sold! :) Wash

IMG_0816_zps074ff23b.jpg

IMG_0819_zpsf5f03783.jpg

IMG_0821_zps67530d46.jpg

Going to do this NY Day wanted to smoke something tomorrow but I've got to work

Well just got thru having our New Years Eve dinner.....first off...can you get high off of meat?....lol  im wasted....Belch!

so okay had probs at work....then off to the butchers...but Char said go to the butchers first...I didnt...got there bout 3pm..and yes there was a line and yes the butchers were up to their azzes busy.  so took a number and was looking at the empty meat trays of where the cuts should be

YIKES....im in trouble....both of the owners came out and shook my hand and wished me happy new year....so the owner said forget the number go see my wife she has something you might want. so go to the counter say hello to wifey...and I asked for some prime bone in cowboy cut prime rib...she laffs.....we sold out this morning..Oh Crap!....but I kinda knew you would be coming...so she goes and gets the prime cowboy cut prime rib 2 bones from the meat locker  Whew!

rub it down

IMG_0996_zps30220122.jpg

reverse sear... smoker to 500.. 20 mins on three sides then down to 190 on the smoker and smoke to 140 internal...bout 1 hour and then let rest for 20 mins

IMG_0998_zps89291ee7.jpg

IMG_1000_zps2832a2fb.jpg

IMG_1001_zps7dc74872.jpg

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic