• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My Dr needs/wants a HD weapon

BrianK

The LGS suggested a handgun (why do they do that!!????). It's HD and not CCW... set up a safe room, hold the defensive position and wait for the cops. I suggested a PCC over a shotgun or handgun. In the past few months I've given him other suggestions but all are not handguns unless mounted in a housing that turns it into a PCC. Another was the KelTec .410 KSG with slugs. If he was considering clearing his own home (very bad move IMO, but macho) a handgun might be an option. But at this time that's not the case and a PCC set up properly is just as good for CQB for house clearing in a SHTF scenario as a handgun (maybe better) for an untrained person IMO

There were so many suggestions that there's no way I can remember all that I gave him. Quite a few I have on hand for him and his wife to try and that's yet to happen. 

Ideally I'd like a reliable 9mm bullpup but that doesn't exist, at least from the reviews I've seen. 

So what are your PCC choices? What are your HD choices? Don't include handguns that's a non starter for his wifes and his proficiency. His idea is a safe room with an easy to aim and get hits WITHOUT the handgun training and maintenance for proficiency required by a handgun. 

Again in general I suggested a PCC with a red dot and a laser/flashlight (more tactics that I'm not going to write out). What firearms would you suggest in that general category that I've outlined? I can't be everywhere so I need the knowledge of the members. 

Again, a handgun, unless it's in a rifle/PCC housing is a non starter. 

Edited by BrianK
clarification

• BrianK changed the title to My Dr needs/wants a HD weapon

For my initial HD, I went with a pistol like most people out of initial ignorance. but later augmented that with an Extar EP9.  AR pistol with brace in 9mm.  I paid the tax and got a QuietBore suppressor for it.  I went with a rail mounted streamlight instead of a laser.  Personal choice.  Light, maneuverable, and it uses Glock magazines.  

4 hours ago, KSdefender said:

For my initial HD, I went with a pistol like most people out of initial ignorance. but later augmented that with an Extar EP9.  AR pistol with brace in 9mm.  I paid the tax and got a QuietBore suppressor for it.  I went with a rail mounted streamlight instead of a laser.  Personal choice.  Light, maneuverable, and it uses Glock magazines.  

Thanks. Extar EP9 was one of the first I suggested for him just from the reviews. 

No problems with it? How many rounds through yours?

Yeah, a 12 gauge is out. They aren't gun folks and I'd never suggest anything with much recoil for them. Plus they are slow to load and pellets spread and I don't know their home. I did suggest the Keltec KSG .410. But HD ammo is >$1 per and cost is a factor. Sure practice can be done with birdshot but the real stuff needs to be fired to insure reliability. To me that means firing a mess of the good stuff.

For them (and most wanting a HD firearm) a 9mm PCC is right. Mag size, ammo availability, accuracy, the list goes on and on. I'm still flummoxed that the LGS showed him nothing but handguns when he told them he wanted something for home HD.  I know those folks and they should know better. Heck, they do know better.

I want to get them to the range so that they can handle and shoot some of the firearms I'm suggesting for them. The Dr wants to do that too.

If it is available, a Mossberg Shockwave (or the above-mentioned 500 with an adapter) with the 1.75 inch shells should be among the options.  You can get 8-9  birdshot, buckshot or slugs in one.  The recoil is minimal with the short shells.  However, precise aiming is optional except for the slugs.  Ammo is maybe a little more expensive than 9mm SD loads, but practice would be a little less IMO.

Edited by Armed Eye Doc