Drew, I bought another one...

98Z5V

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

500 two stroke???

Yep!  1998 Honda CR500...  :o <lmao>

Going in to the shop now and clean it up real good - I'll get more "before" pics of it.  Right now it starts and runs (VERY well!!!), but the forks are blown, the seat needs recovered, and I need to replace the cables - well, controls.  Grips, levers, cables, probably throttle tube.

I'll have it all stripped down tomorrow, engine out and split, and check everything out.  Full engine gasket set already on the way, probaby a piston kit, definitely crank bearings and seals (because it'll be apart, might as well start new).  Should have the engine back in it by the end of the week.  Next week will be new plastics and full seat, back to OEM look for 1999.  The 1998 radiator shrouds are no longer available, so it'll have to look like this:

cr500r99.jpg

Once I get this rebuilt, it'll be ridden a few times, but it's main purpose in life is to hit the dunes, and crush people on the drag runs up the sand hills.  After Thanksgiving this year (my main vacation every year), I'll have plenty of video of it doing it's job.  ;D <thumbsup>

I'm DAMN tempted to street-legal it. Down here in AZ, you can literally steet-legal just about anything (quads, side-by-sides, etc.).  2-stroke dirtbikes are no exception.  Toss a set of 17" supermoto wheels on it, one mirror, horn, lighted license plate light, and a head and tail/brake light, and it's legal on any non-highway AZ road...  <laughs>

I would beat some sportbike ASS with that beast...  <lmao>

exactly... I always got away. My buddies XR 250 was a lot slower than my DR 400.  <laughs>

Exactly...    <lmao>  You don't have to be the fastest...    You just need to be faster than one other guy...      :o

Once I get this rebuilt, it'll be ridden a few times, but it's main purpose in life is to hit the dunes, and crush people on the drag runs up the sand hills.  After Thanksgiving this year (my main vacation every year), I'll have plenty of video of it doing it's job.  ;D <thumbsup>

I'm DAMN tempted to street-legal it. Down here in AZ, you can literally steet-legal just about anything (quads, side-by-sides, etc.).  2-stroke dirtbikes are no exception. Toss a set of 17" supermoto wheels on it, one mirror, horn, lighted license plate light, and a head and tail/brake light, and it's legal on any non-highway AZ road...  <laughs>

I would beat some sportbike ASS with that beast...  <lmao>

that would be bad ass!!!!!