• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What's your Thanksgiving Dinner?

imschur

Deep-pit a couple turkeys.  HUGE fire a couple days leading up.  Wrap them in muslin, put them in the fire pit, cover them with the coals, and bury them at midnight.  Dig them up at 4pm the next day.  Unbelievably great eating.  <thumbsup>

Deep-pit a couple turkeys.  HUGE fire a couple days leading up.  Wrap them in muslin, put them in the fire pit, cover them with the coals, and bury them at midnight.  Dig them up at 4pm the next day.  Unbelievably great eating.  <thumbsup>

That sounds pretty awesome. Have done this with chickens on camp outs, but didn't know it worked for something as big as a turkey too. Do you put a rub on 'em or anything?

You sure can - anything you want.  I'll be doing a few racks of pork ribs towards the end of the trip, also - marinate for a day and a half in Stubb's Pork Marinade and Seet Baby Ray's bbq sauce, bury them in the morning, dig them up around dinnertime.  Those damn things are outrageous.  :o ;D

I've got two good sized rump roasts and a shoulder roast to throw in on another night. Stuff a stick of butter in the turkey as well. That's all we did last time we pitted a turkey and it was great. We have a couple 3# beasts to throw in on thanksgiving too. I don't know what the Hell we are going to do with all this food....I should bring fixins for turkey enchiladas with the leftovers <thumbsup>

Dig a hole...burn lots of wood and get a good bed of coals. We usually wrap whatever meat we are cooking in muslin, then burlap and tie with bailing wire. Rake a hole in the coals, dunk the meat in a bucket of water for 10 seconds and throw it in. Rake coals over the top....cover with dirt. Usually stays in for 12-18 hours....depending on.  Dig back up, shred and enjoy.  We almost always use oak for the wood, but anything dense should do.  <thumbsup>

We will have turkey done in a large dutch oven along with Salmon (king) caught from the river here Pumpkin pie, Pecan pie, green beans with hamhock from the garden the beans lol salad, home made bread, and for a evening desert carmelized walnuts (from our trees) over vanilla ice cream .. all the very best to you all on Thanksgiving and try to help out someone less fortunate than yourselves... to all of those still in harms way our prayers are with you...

We will have turkey done in a large dutch oven along with Salmon (king) caught from the river here Pumpkin pie, Pecan pie, green beans with hamhock from the garden the beans lol salad, home made bread, and for a evening desert carmelized walnuts (from our trees) over vanilla ice cream .. all the very best to you all on Thanksgiving and try to help out someone less fortunate than yourselves... to all of those still in harms way our prayers are with you...

Sounds awesome, what time do I need to be there?

Turkey's Carving is not a good day for me food wise since the main dish (Turkey) is something I'll choke on. For some reason, I am that way with any fowl and shredded meat. So if I am by myself, Turkey's Carving is just a typical day as far as food goes. Sometimes I'll be invited by family and if so, it depends upon what they're having. If with my my mother and her BF; who are meat crazy, I usually just have smashed potatoes (I'm potato crazy) some sort of bread, olives and sparkling cider and they sometimes make (or I bring) a small pizza to substitute the turkey.

Once in a great while I'll join my sister who's a vegan. If with her, it's pretty much the same as above exceptionable great green been casserole and some great oil and vinegar based potato salad.

Turkey's Carving is more of a social day for me.