• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Confused about the AR-10 platform

BenH

Hello to all:

I am new on this site and am a bit confused and wonder if you in the know can give me your opinions.  I had just about decided to start an AR-10 project when I read Boston's  Gun Bible and the authors  opinion of the AR-10 platform.  it was not exactly enthusiastic, to say the least.

I wonder if anyone here is familiar with the book/author and can comment.

I would appreciate your opinions.

Not familiar with it. However a few points to consider. If the author refers to all 308 AR's as AR-10's you can stop reading right there. Secondly with any gun magazine, book review on any subject it needs to be taken with a grain of salt as reviews are often based on advertising dollars in said book or magazine. Look to reviews and opinions of folks who actually own the product or used it extensively in the field. jmho

have not read the book, its on my list, but i love my DMPS LR-308, it is just so much fun to shoot, accurate enough for what i will ever use it for, and its in a caliber that i respect.

As a long time hunter i have hunted in WA, GA, ID, MT, TX with bolt action 308's my DMPS while not a light as my Ruger number 1 in 308, and not quite as accurate as the #1, I would not think twice about hunting with it. I kind of wish i had my DMPS when i was living in Germany where most of your hunting is done from stands vs tracking, when in a stand the weight of the rifle is not as important as when you are humping up a trail.  The DMPS has shown to be a very accurate rifle, when i do my part i can get at or below MOA out of it, even at 4-500 yards. 

And its a big black scary 'evil' rifle whats not to like, i just wish the magpul prs had a "shoulder thing that went up"  not that i would ever use it, but just to piss of more of the gun grabbers and make it more evil!  But i have issues.

Welcome from AZ BenH!

As to Boston's Gun Bible I can't even tell you why now, but whenever they are quoted on any subject I receive it with a sort of dismissive interest.  Something along the lines of opinionated hyperbole, even if a lot is good for reference.

I'd just rather get information from sources that offer solutions to any problem...if there is even a problem.

Jon

I built my AR10 (actual Armalite pattern) from a raw forging and turned the barrel from a rifled blank and can tell you that I have had zero problems from it. It feeds reliably, and is very accurate. At one point in time I would give most Black Rifles a thumbs down, but I was heavy into bolt rifles and anything semi-automatic made no sense to me.

Just my 2¢.....

I'm afraid you've walked into a giant nest of large-frame AR enthusiasts with your question, and by far the majority of experience here has been to the contrary of what you're describing. It would be a little easier to address your issues though if they were described in a little more detail.

Having said that, welcome to our forums, I think your time spent here will be very enjoyable. There's a wealth of information here on the forums, and a helpful, practical attitude is prevalent throughout. Enjoy!

I've no experience with the FAL but have had 2 M1As, both gone and replaced with two RRA LAR-8s.

For me the 308AR platform is better.  It boils down to the lack of the op-rod on the Garand-style M1A action.  Loads must be within certain parameters or you risk damaging/bending that op-rod.

Quality M1A and FAL parts are harder to come by.  With the M1A the holy grails are certain mil-spec parts that are getting harder and harder to find.  A few makers are stepping up (finally) but a person will pay dearly for those parts (surplus parts too).  Fulton Armory has a good reputation, with LRB making receivers from the original data sheets.

The ridicularity of BATF import restrictions have really hurt the M14/M1A market.  Our Canadian brothers can purchase Norinco M14s for $800 or so, banned in the USA by the stroke of a pen.  Polytech (I think) also imported some in the past.  If those were allowed to be imported Springfield would be forced to up their quality control if they wanted to keep charging the same prices.

I seriously looked at the DS Arms FAL offerings, as a friend was hot and heavy about them.  Also looked at the various other offerings.  To me they seem like the 1970s Harley Davidson's of the battle rifle world:  more wrenching, less shooting.

I was torn between Armalite and Rock River Arms for the 308AR offering.  The AR-10 has a certain cool factor, even though Armalite is as much Armalite as Springfield Armory is Springfield Armory.  What sold me on the RRA was the ability to use the world-wide readily available FAL inch or metric magazines, for when the borders collapse completely and myself with my squad of do-gooder soldiers of fortune travel the earth, in our Osprey tilt-rotor insertion vehicles.

At the time I was ignorant of the Pmags for the DPMS-style rifles, with Armalite now making rifles that take Pmags.  They are very affordable and there is a bigger aftermarket for the DPMS-style rifles.

But I LOVE my RRAs!

Jon

aside from Jon's Osprey crew plans…. I think you'll find out exactly what you're looking for in a 308ar of many manufacturer. One may need a part here or tweek there that we of this board have found, figured, or experienced. As for accuracy, my LaRue regularly hits 1/2 inch groups of ten at 200yds…. as have many others been more than satisfied with the accuracy. Reliability is as good as the ar15 platform when proper loads are used. Parts are as readily available as anything else out there… which is to say, if you can find them right now, because everything is getting scarce.

If you have specific questions on specific rifles, throw them out there.

Anyone who says that they're not a fan of the large AR platform, obviously hasn't shot one. Hell, I was never really an AR guy in general.......that is, until I bought my first AR-10. Now I'm starting to get the damn things stacked up like cordwood. Sheeesh.....gotta get yet another gang-box now to store them in.

Very nice!  <thumbsup>  As you can see, they are really a great gun! Maybe if you are located near another member, yo go for a test fire to really find out if you like what it is, before you buy…… You mentioned the "boston gun bible" , if you are a masshole like me, I would be glad to take you out, I have a 20" precision rig and a pinned 14.5" carbine cqb set up  <thumbsup>

• 4 months later...

Thank you all for your repliesI

I have been disconnected for a while taking care of family matters but hope to be able to come on here more often. 

Thank you for your very generous offer edgecrusher but I am WAY south of you in Miami Florida.

Again, thank you all for your responses!

Anyone who says that they're not a fan of the large AR platform, obviously hasn't shot one. Hell, I was never really an AR guy in general.......that is, until I bought my first AR-10. Now I'm starting to get the damn things stacked up like cordwood. Sheeesh.....gotta get yet another gang-box now to store them in.

You have alot of catching up to do.  I'm just sayin'...  <dontknow> <laughs>

Ben, welcome aboard.  Hide your wallet.  Don't think I'm joking...  >:D <thumbsup>