• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Day Job Real Slow

imschur

About a month ago it was like somebody pulled the plug on our business. I have not seen it like this since thing were really bad a few years ago. We almost closed then. Im crossing my fingers that after Xmas we will go back to balls to the wall.

The little woman and I work together and decided that after dating for 22 years that maybe we should start looking for a house and actually living together. Now we are a bit nervous.

Hows your job?

Can't really complain. Here in the DC metro area, my field hasn't really slowed down too much. But this area is kinda insulated from the rest of the economy, being the heart of democracy (hard to say that with a straight face).

Oh, my company and I do HVAC controls/building automation for commercial office buildings.

Ron

As I'm in the firearms and personal protection training business, things have picked up since the election.  Firearms sales are balls to the walls around Arizona, people now feel they should probably get a little training too.

I really hurt the business side going through the Japan MOE licensing earlier this year, essentially shutting down for 5 months.  Now it's time to reap.

Jon

As long as there are people, I will have a job.

Right now the rain is keeping most of the dirt bags indoors or under their bridges.

Tis the season for my largest theft ring busts. Lock your shit up. Don't leave shit in your car. Plan deliveries to your house for days/hours you are home. If you fall asleep, with your mouth agape, and you wake up without the fillings in your teeth... Don't say I didn't warn you.  <thumbsup>

Since the new company (Energy Transfer) came and bought us (Southern Union) for 6 billion dollars, it's been crazy as hell.  We're working like dogs, bringing on contract staff for extra support like crazy.  The talent pool in Houston is tapped, since there is SO MUCH WORK available here.

my job always slows down this time of year its the weather. gotta say i knida like it specially after a long dry hot shitty summer. kinda like robo as long as there are people i gotta keep thier food cold, i just dont get to carry a gun when i have to deal with the ass bags at walmart:D normally is a large flat blade sqrew driver tho!

Heathcare Act in needed,those with insurance don't know what it's like not to have it.Preventive healthcare will save money in the long run.To be denied health insurance for a pre-existing condition is wrong and until it happens to you or you'r kids, you don't realize the enormity of the problem.What is going to happen to all these autisic children that even now are being reclassified to minimize help for them.While it may not be a perfect solution it's better than what was in place.And while many say it's for illegals and lazies,the majority that need it are hard working Americans that are just down and out because of the economy.Even now after the election the GOP will not get the rich to pay thier fair share of taxes WTF.If you'r lucky enough to have insurance have some compassion for those that don't. :soap: that is all just my 2 mags.

Brother as a Sheet metal worker I put in $10.00 hr. for every hr. I work so for a full year that's almost 20k whether I use it or not [it also helps the retiree's] if you don't get 500 hrs. you lose it.That will change Jan. for better.But if you had gotten 499 you got poop and fukin cobra is insane.So after cobra on unemployment you barely got enough for a cup of coffee if you'r wife doesn't work.WTF.I feel for you brother blue as working men we are all in this together,good luck brother.

Yea even our retiree's have to pay for H/W and there are limits to costs,just when you need more dental/glass's etc.That's is fuked up ater all those years as L.E.O. brother Rob that a big bite right off the top. :(  Fortuneately we will get a pension that is going the way of the dinosuar also. >:(

My father just lost his retiree health insurance benefits. +40 years of law enforcement and now he pays over $1k a month to keep him and the ol' lady in good health. He still has his pension, but health/eyes/dental comes out of his pocket now.

samthing happened to my old man with government motors.

COBRA sucks!  But you all know that already.

We shopped insurance on our own, as at work it was expensive and going up (and the only reason I took el crappo job).  We found insurance for all three of us for $180/month.  Wifey wanted some extra coverage, that boosted it up to $235 or so.

I can only say if you need it SHOP AROUND, ask questions.  We went to a website called "Arizona Health Insurance" and it listed every insurance company licensed to sell insurance in Arizona.  Well worth a few hours of your time.

And DO NOT get sucked into the  argument that the only way to afford insurance is through your job.  Most employers go through an insurance broker, who works both sides of the system...paid by your employer and paid by the insurance company.  Win-win for them.

Jon

Health insurance is a whole other ball of wax.

Regarding Obama Care. The problem is there might be a few good things in it but the package as a whole is terrible. The good parts such as pre-existing condition medical conditions could have been passed on there own. Instead favorable things are included to make it hard to say no to the package.

If you have not been to a doctor lately you might be in for a surprise when you do go. It's a procedural and paperwork nightmare. I have been witnessing this at the doctors since i have begun my regular visits in September. Longer waits to get in, longer waits when your there. My surgeon spent some time with me and the little woman showing us a bit of before and after paperwork. Typical government over complication.

Regarding costs. The owner of my day job essentially put a cap on how much the company contributes. Employees eat the increases. Folks with families pay about 1/3 of their 40 hour pay salary to health insurance. Vision and dental are extra. I pay $60  week I think for the single plan. I have not seen a salary increase in over 10 years. My net salary has been going backwards for a decade.

Connecticut is a disaster, anti manufacturing and small business.  Some of the highest taxes and living expenses in the nation. We have a large population of the entitled as well as illegal immigrants and it keeps getting worse. Forty plus years the democrats maintained a majority and have controlled the state regardless of the elected Governor's party. These liberals here no exactly how to maintain power. Just look up how Governor Malloy won the election. He won it with the urban vote in the largest cities. They might be lazy but they are not stupid.

At the day job up until recently we have been balls to the wall, even when the economy was at it's worst. Now here's the thing, we have difficulty getting folks to work overtime. Why? Because if they work too much they will get kicked off the state entitlement programs.

We have a dept of about 8 women that run these small machines. 6 of them are Albanians. None of their husbands have reportable jobs. The women are holding a job for insurance and CT's "Husky" plan. State provided health insurance for kids that offsets what regular insurance does not cover. More bleeding of the system. It's infuriating that they do not see an issue with this. All of them think the "State" is some mythical money machine that pulls money from the air.

Income tax - This really pisses me off. We also have a few people who are just ok enough of workers to hold their jobs but always on the brink for attendance and performance. The NEVER work a full week EVER. They manage with enough state assistance to spit out 3 or 4 kids, own there own homes and drive decent vehicles. Yet a tax time they take home thousands more than they put into the system. Turning a profit for being a lazy slacker.

Hey blue109, no problem! 

Right now we're using Golden Rule, a subsidary of United Health Care.

We're planning on shopping soon, as with Obamacare being implemented pricing is going UP$^$^$!  Never hurts to check around.

We're also planning on checking into a few different small-business co-operatives, that pool small businesses together for better group discounts.

I also want to check out the NRA Small Business Alliance...but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Jon