• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fired my .308

MaDuce

I took it out on Monday morning. Put 30 rounds through it.

There's some good and bad news though.

The good news is that; in my one attempt to aim precisely in the same spot, the result was a "peanut" shaped hole in the target.

The bad news is that I was actually aiming at a specific piece of dirt between 6 and 7 feet ABOVE where the bullets were actually hitting and the scope was adjusted to the max. So; while the gun appears to be extremely mechanically accurate, the optic badly needs to be replaced.

As far as recoil goes, the gun reminds me allot of the Barrett M-82A1. Kinda like an AK with a very good muzzle break but stiffer, straighter and overall bigger gun moving back at you. A heavy push but entirely soft. That actually means mission accomplished as this is well within the range of what my friend's kids can handle and I myself never lost sight of the target during recoil. I may later still put a recoil pad on, though this will be for butt length and looks.

One downside to the gun it's self. All those rumors I've heard about .308 ARs not liking JSPs is absolutely true. Jams every time on JSPs but as soon as you put ball ammo in, it's like an AK. Those smushy tips just don't connect well with that feed ramp.

Overall, I am still more fond of my AR-15 for it's size, quality and practicality but the .308 exceeded my expectations and I am very satisfied with it.

<thumbsup> I remember the first time I fired my 308. It is something one will always remember I imagine. Have you picked out a new scope yet?

No. I want to stick in the 6-24 power range and am particularly fond of Bushnell. Apart from that, I am still open.

I remember the first time I fired all my guns. I don't know why. I have a random memory.

Thats bitter sweet man you can always upgrade  i guess. I also went out this last weekend for my first shot, had the scope bore sighted for 100yds and was about 12 inches off my mark. I got that thing in to about 2 in. and my blood started pumping so fast I couldnt aim steady any more!! What a dream the 308 has been! Now my blood boils for ammo 8)

No. I want to stick in the 6-24 power range and am particularly fond of Bushnell. Apart from that, I am still open.

I remember the first time I fired all my guns. I don't know why. I have a random memory.

I have a Bushnell scope on my 308. It is 6-18 50mm Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn. You can really dial it in with that scope. I really enjoy it a lot. When I mounted the scope it was somehow already very close to dialed in. I only had to make minor adjustments. If I had to I would buy it again.

I have a Bushnell scope on my 308. It is 6-18 50mm Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn. You can really dial it in with that scope. I really enjoy it a lot. When I mounted the scope it was somehow already very close to dialed in. I only had to make minor adjustments. If I had to I would buy it again.

I'll look in to it. I am surprised you mentioned Dusk and Dawn as that's one of the lines I had in mind. But I am a little more interested in their 6-24x40. However, there's also a less known generic brand rifle scope in the same power but comes with parallax adjustment, is getting better reviews and costs around $35 less.

Since neither are bank breakers and I need new optics for both my ARs, I am probably; at different times, going to get both and compare them.

These are the scopes I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banner-6-24x40-Rifle-Reticle/dp/B000GEWB52

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D9HZ1K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF

While I am drawn to the Bushnell I admit the other looks nice too. Plus it comes with rings on it. I had to order high rings and put them on raised mounts to clear the optics. I do like my scope brand and design but I am biased because it is mine. LOL I don't think you could go wrong trying the other. I look forward to seeing what you pick out and how it works for you.

While I am drawn to the Bushnell I admit the other looks nice too. Plus it comes with rings on it. I had to order high rings and put them on raised mounts to clear the optics. I do like my scope brand and design but I am biased because it is mine. LOL I don't think you could go wrong trying the other. I look forward to seeing what you pick out and how it works for you.

At different times I am going to try and get both. I'll probably try the Sniper scope first since it's a little cheaper and runs the risk of disappearing at any time. The sniper scope also has testimonials stating that it works very well with large caliber rifles while the Bushnell is getting the exact opposite reviews, stating that it's better for smaller caliber rifles (such as my AR-15, which is accurately sighted in ATM)

For me, the main appeal on the Sniper scope is the parallax adjustment. But the "dawn and dusk" coating on the Bushnell has drawn my attention since my early 20s. From what I can gather, the two seam like a trade-off. One having better weather immunity, the other having the parallax feature.

BTW.

I had a sniper laser hollow sight at one time. I think I still have it somewhere actually. It was a little on the generic side but built like a tank. Out of all the "cheap" stuff I've seen over time, it made the most sense to me. The only real downside I noticed compared to other similar products was the weight. It was about 10%-20% heavier then equally sized products.

I am still looking at other options and will do so until I have both guns sighted in and am fully satisfied, but these two are the ones I am looking most closely at ATM.

The problem is not the scope it is the mount. What mount are you using? And what make AR 308? The problem with clearing sights is that it is sometimes impossible to crank the scope down that far. Might consider some other iron sight options unless yours is a fixed handle AR.

Here is a pic of my 308. Like everyone else I do love my rifle. Not that everyone loves my rifle but their own. LOL humor you got to love that stuff. You can see with the 50 MM objective, the risers were helpful perhaps not absolutely needed but they are helpful to keep the scope off the rail. Note : the red dot scope has been relocated to the right side.

post-1944-136297290255_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of my 308. Like everyone else I do love my rifle. Not that everyone loves my rifle but their own. LOL humor you got to love that stuff. You can see with the 50 MM objective, the risers were helpful perhaps not absolutely needed but they are helpful to keep the scope off the rail. Note : the red dot scope has been relocated to the right side.

Who are you kidding? I love your rifle! I've handled it though, so I may be a little biased, but I'd have the same setup in a heartbeat.  <thumbsup>

Thanks guys. Now if ammo prices could come down. I have a few boxes of ammo but it is hard to replace that stuff now (if you can find it). Once I have more reloading equipment for my 12g I want to start getting stuff to reload the 308 and some others. If ammo keeps going up and being "out of stock" it might be a good way to make a little $ offering alt ammo to people. What do you think about alt ammo sales?

I'm thinking that once I have the press and dies and all the rest of the "non-consumable" equipment all I will need to buy is the brass, primers, powder and lead. I am going to try to cast my own bullets. I have found several molds for 308 one just needs to have a sizing die and make sure the lead is hard enough so none is left behind in the barrel. (I have been reading ahead) LOL. I really want to learn how and do this. Seriously.

What components are getting hard to find?

I don't/won't shoot reloads from someone else, unless 1)  I know them, or 2) they're in the "remanufactured ammo business."  Just the way I am.

I respect that. If it is done wrong it can be very dangerous. That said what I want to do is basicly "garage style" new ammo. Yes, I will also make reloaded brass. These are ideas I am still developing and I am a fair way off from loading anything other than 12 gauge shells. Right now I am only able to make 00 buckshot but it is a place to start and work on my ideas for down the road. Next up will be slugs for the 12g. I am not likely to do any of those exotic rounds one might find on you tube. I am still thinking about the biz side but if the known factory rounds become harder to find it may make it easier to decide what to do. I have a lot of learning to do for anything other than a 12g.