• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What kinda pocket knife do you carry

shepp

• 2 weeks later...

My friend, the late Bob Loveless told me many years ago that the most important part of choosing a knife is to consider the use to which it will be put.   The type of knife, the use to which it will be put are first considerations, befor even deciding on the type of steel used for the blade.

Blade steel is important, as well as finish of the blade.

Did you know that most form of 440 steel has a "draw" temp of 300-400*?   That means  that if the polisher of the knife gets a little over zellos, he can take all the harding out of the blade befor the knife is even finished!

Most of my knives are made of "custom" steel, ATS 34 or 154CM.  But I do have quite a number of "Factory" knives.  Most made of AUS8 or one of the 400 searies. some are even tool steel!  A-2 and D-2, both non stainless.

Bob smiled, one day when I pulled out my Schrade  stockman.  I asked what was so funny.  He said." I know you have a lot of knives, but it tickles me to see you use the "right" knife for the right job.

So, the next time you look at a knife, envision the use it will be put to, and what kind of steel its made out of.

Respectfully

Terry

yup i left my nice brand new shinny knife on the bumper of the truck i drove for work today after pokeing a hole in the red rag i was putting the the metal hanging out the back of the truck. ended up finding it when i got back to the shop i found it in the middle of the hwy not so shinny anymore. i liked the gerbers that i had because i could unlock it one handed and put my knife back in my pocket. not so much on this one, no more buying online for knive unless is spesific on the blade lock or i handle one first........