• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ok lets discuss Gas and overgased and solutions

Magwa

So I have been watching the magpul video's and there is one of the instructors that is gun a 5.56 barely shoots the brass out maybe 2 ft and i like that Idea as when in some postions the brass flying 4 ft bounces off of everything and every body so what can one do to slow down the force of the ejection and bring it under control... Buffer? spring, Jp interprises hydraulic buffer, adjustable gas block or something else? thanks

Edited by Magwa

Ejection pattern is going to depend on bolt carrier speed, after firing.

If the bolt carrier is going faster, it's throwing brass further.  A bolt carrier going slower is a smaller ejection pattern.

What affects bolt carrier speed?  The amount of gas, bolt carrier weight (semi or F/A carriers, or pistol-weight carriers, for example), buffer-component weight, buffer spring pressure.

How much you charge your reloaded ammo also affects it, but not to the degree that the stuff above does (unless you're doing something wrong in the reloading, i.e., pistol powder in a rifle cartridge - gotta be something excessive).

So, manage those four things above, and you manage your ejection force and ejection pattern.

EDIT - Brother, you'll be running a suppressor, too, down the road.  Suppressors increase the gas pressure.  If you "manage" a rifle to what you think is perfect (for you), it's going to run different when suppressed... 

Edited by 98Z5V

Tom's all over it (as usual). Pretty much the gas block and the buffer are doing the heavy lifting when it comes to ejection patterns (short of powder charge). That's pretty much the only way that you're going to change how these beasts "spit out" the empties.

As far as cans (since you're joining the club). For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues running 5.56 rifles suppressed. They just don't seem to care if they're suppressed or not. But, for 7.62 rifles, you're probably going to want to change out your gas block. The back pressure is noticeably higher. Choking down the gas is damn near mandatory. Otherwise your headed towards some kind of malfunction from either the extra heat or pressure that's created. And it's never going to hurt to run a heavy buffer in them also. If nothing else, they help smooth out the recoil.

Also, get ready for the extra amount of cleaning that's needed once you start running the can. <laughs>

Edited by Rsquared

Ok so buffers and springs, and adjutable gas blocks... ok what are your thoughts on the JP interprises silent capture spring for both 5.56 and 7.62...

So I will get a adjutable gas block for my 7.62 since that is my first can coming someday (wait wait wait)... lol I asume you just tune it to your needs , and by slowing the gas flow you slow down the bolt carrier and the ejection process all the while making your rifle smoother..... I am getting into this now it is way beyond just the gun.... fun stuff... thank you gentlemen..

well I can get a adjustable A2 front sight gas block but I would have to give up the A2 front sight if I used the switchblock and besides I do not ever see myself going back to loud my ears will not tolerate it anymore or what ears I have left 20% left ear 50% right.. and mine ring 24/7

Ok so buffers and springs, and adjutable gas blocks... ok what are your thoughts on the JP interprises silent capture spring for both 5.56 and 7.62...

Doesn't increase performance in any way.  Cut out the "twang" that you hear, which just tells you your rifle is operating. 

My opinion on hydraulic buffers is pretty bad.  Rene knows what it is.

Standard pressure spring are everywhere - that's what people market.  Sprinco makes other springs with increased pressures, for different applications.  That's where to go for something like that.  The only place.

well I can get a adjustable A2 front sight gas block but I would have to give up the A2 front sight if I used the switchblock and besides I do not ever see myself going back to loud my ears will not tolerate it anymore or what ears I have left 20% left ear 50% right.. and mine ring 24/7

On the ear ringing issue, I was told for years by doctors to get used to it and there was nothing that really worked to stop it. I could try various drugs to stop it but the docs recommended against it as they caused side effects worse than ear ringing. I had constant left ear ring along a a stabbing sharp pain every couple of minutes for several years. Then one day I joked about it to my Accupuncture guy and he yelled at me for not telling him sooner. A couple needles in the back if my head and the ringing went away for 8months. Another treatment then and I haven't had ringing in over 2 years now. If you are in az I can get you the guys name.

Have you tried Aleve? It worked really well for me.

No...but I wasn't trying to get my ears to ring.  I'll try that some other time.

For $20 I'll stab you in the leg with my Kershaw. I bet you don't think about your ears for at least 8 weeks. If I'm wrong, I'll stab you in the other leg for free.

I'll pass on both but thanks!

Back pain is mostly gone now after doing the Clean Program...as are other muscle aches and joint pains.

Well I bet you one thing I bet you are NOT overgassed after the Clean program!....... <thumbsup>

I miss Mexican food!  :'(

But I don't miss the 30#s+ (and counting), muscle aches, joint pain, occasional wipe-you-out migraines.

My question now is:  WTF is in food (-like products) that makes my body react like that?!?

I've eaten more fruit and veggies (and lamb) in the past 2 months than in the past 2 decades (and more organic food than my whole family put together EVER...my generation only).

Sure as hell is cheaper than my added up copays and sick days.

Our store bought food is all pretty much poison to our bodies, this thread has imploded so lets talk about food, and congrats on your weight loss... what goes into us will be reflected on the out and inside there is to much processed food for sale and we do not est enough veggies and fruit and the meat most people eat is really not fit for humans hamburger is known to be cleaned with amonia, my best advice is put in a back yard garden or greenhouse and eat from it all you can... buy organic veggies and fruits and can them for later use... hunt or learn to hunt lean meat is awesome protien and eat fish but if you have to buy it do not buy farm raised and also do not eat GMO's you will stay slim and you will stay out of the doctors office and speaking of doc's don't take any prescription that is  not absolutly needed there are far more bad effects from meds if you have high colesterol work on your diet and walk, run , exercise in some way to bring it under control after all you are in control of your own life.....

On the ear ringing issue, I was told for years by doctors to get used to it and there was nothing that really worked to stop it. I could try various drugs to stop it but the docs recommended against it as they caused side effects worse than ear ringing. I had constant left ear ring along a a stabbing sharp pain every couple of minutes for several years. Then one day I joked about it to my Accupuncture guy and he yelled at me for not telling him sooner. A couple needles in the back if my head and the ringing went away for 8months. Another treatment then and I haven't had ringing in over 2 years now. If you are in az I can get you the guys name.

Me too! I had ringing in the ears had accupuncture......but why did she put the needles in my nut sack?

LOL :) Wash

Edited by washguy