• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

elk down

MONTANA308

Was a cold miserable day 5 degrees out with a 10+ wind. I had a cow tag for the Missouri River breaks. packed a front and rear quarter out just before dark going back in for the rest in the am. Was hoping to use my SI 308, but went with the Remember 700 5R in 300WM.

Took her at about 250 will have exact range tomorrow for i forgot my fn range finder. Was only about a mile and half pack back to pickup.All in all a great day hunting

post-13418-0-09731300-1384999910_thumb.j

This may be a stupid question but how do you keep the locals for making dinner out of the rest while you are gone overnight? Congrats wish I was there for dinner!

Skin it and clean it, then get the gut pile faaaar away from the carcass. Pack the meat with snow and then you can do the trip in quarters if you have to. Meat doesn't stink nearly as much as guts. Frozen cold keeps the scent down as well.

In 35 years of elk hiunting in Idaho never had a critter try and make dinner out of quarters left over night take a pee in a few areas by the kill and then there is also human scent everywhere it will be fine and congrats a nice fat cow it don't get much better than that.... :)

Ya was a good day. We have left elk out the last for years over night and have not had any problems with predators. bad part its -15 below this morning so they may be a little more bold on a easy meal.just getting geared up and gonna head back out to get the rest. I though it was cold yesterday poop its 20 degrees colder now.

Packing frozen meat is a PITA... LOL made the mistake one time of boning out the carcass and putting it in a meat sack and hung it up to pack the next day was 5 below the next morning it was like packing a round rock..... never did that again... congrats on getting your meat out.. enjoy.

Thanks guys ya. its some pretty amazing country up here plenty rough. We usually take the horses in to pack out but since this one wasn't to far it came out on our backs. The wifes bull last year was around 4+ miles pack out. In some really rough stuff.

i agree with you magwa frozen meat and packing is no fun.

She will be good eating this winter

In 35 years of elk hiunting in Idaho never had a critter try and make dinner out of quarters left over night take a pee in a few areas by the kill and then there is also human scent everywhere it will be fine and congrats a nice fat cow it don't get much better than that.... :)

Yea I was talking all the issues we've had with wolves we had 6 gut piles in a 2-3 sq mile area they didn't touch them, but the ravens go buck nuts for them