• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I need a new car

Microgunner

I've put a lot of miles on my 2007 Ford Escape and it's showing the wear. It's in need of several repairs.

The AC has quit with a massive leak, the power seat works intermitingly, the windshield washer has quit,

I had the windshield replaced 4 years ago and now the windshield frame is begining to rust at the top.

With all the repairs done I'd still own a 7 year old car with high milage (I commute 50 miles each way to work).

Then there's the gas milage, the V6 Escape gets 21 MPG on the highway. Not very good. 

The Escape's been a good running car otherwise with a strong, nearly trouble free engine (replaced one fuel injector).

I'm wanting an inexpensive gas sipper, cheap to buy, cheap to operate. I want it cheap enough to buy new for cash. $15,000 <.

I've been thinking about the new Misubishi Mirage 1.2 liter 3 cylinder sub-compact.

An amazing level of equipment for a very small price. Rated at 44 MPG highway, best non-hybrid gas burner milage in America. 10 year/100000 mile warranty.

Damn thing's built in Thailand though, THAILAND!?

Any thoughts or suggestions will be welcomed, I'm going blind looking at cars on line.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't go wrong with a Honda Civic. They're 95% US-made - almost every component used for the car is made here. The cars easily reach 250k miles without major issues, just regular service.

My next door neighbor sells Nissans (he manages a dealership in town)... not sure if he can work a deal for an out-of-state purchase but he gave me a screaming deal on my Titan and has also helped several of my wife's friends get good deals.

Just say no to Hyundai/Kia/Daewoo....

Edited by shibiwan

If you're looking at that matchbox, why not look at a Ford Fiesta or Fusion, or even a Chevy Cruise?  All those are over 40MPG (claimed) and when it comes to sitting in a cracker box, every inch counts.

I've been looking at the little Chevys and Fords but with equivalent equipment the Chevys and Fords are a lot more expensive than the Mirage. But they are bigger.

Please buy American.Keep America working. <thumbsup>

Now starting to lean toward the Ford Fiesta. I've owned seven Fords in my life, three of them brand new.

The Fiesta is bigger, nicer but poorer gas milage than the Mirage. Rated 26/38 and the Mirage is rated 38/44. Over ten years the increased milage will nearly pay for the Mirage.

I'm going gp and try out both.

Edited by Microgunner

Hey I just bit the bullet last week. I went looking at all the different manufacturers and decided to go American. My Dodge Ram1500 has treated me well. Needs a few things but going to keep it. I ordered a 2014 CTS coupe, will be here in a few weeks. But seeing it's in the winter here it will stay in the garage until the snow is gone.

One of my coworkers has a Volt, he loves it and the mileage is unreal.

Ford Fusion boasts that it gets 105 mpg... that's not a typo.

It also costs more than you were willing to spend though.

It's going to sell like gold chains at a rap concert when it hits Cali. They say the average commuter here is now going 70-90 miles one way, each day. Besides the gas savings, and special commuter lanes, I think there's a tax break in there too.

Of course, you have to live with the fact that you drive a vagina... an American vagina, but still a vagina none the less.

Of course, you have to live with the fact that you drive a vagina... an American vagina, but still a vagina none the less.

^^ <laughs> I can't bring myself to trade gas mileage for the safety that comes with size. To each his own.....I guess it's a southern thing but trucks & suv's rule here. I want my family wrapped in as much steel as I can afford. 

Hey I just bit the bullet last week. I went looking at all the different manufacturers and decided to go American. My Dodge Ram1500 has treated me well. Needs a few things but going to keep it. I ordered a 2014 CTS coupe, will be here in a few weeks. But seeing it's in the winter here it will stay in the garage until the snow is gone.

One of my coworkers has a Volt, he loves it and the mileage is unreal.

Cadillacs and Volts are way outta my price range.