• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Peachey said:

Die set arrived today!!! Mixed it up with presents for my daughter and didn't realize it was MY package until just now!! The decapping pin sure does stick out a lot further than a Lee style does. Really like the locking rings though.

Go buy a 5 pack of pins for that die ! They will break and having I spare will save your day !

On 7/29/2019 at 4:42 PM, Peachey said:

Well just figured I'd update y'all. We went to what is supposed to be "the world's biggest gun store" and supposedly have "all your reloading needs". Well, not all my needs lol. 

Really small selection of powder and projectiles. But we were there so we got what we could at least. 

Wound up with IMR 4895 and some Hornady 165gr SPBT to try. Got on the web and found some published load data for that combo from Hogdens interactive manual site. We/he have never used IMR 4895, but it has quite the following and a bunch of published data for 54r and 30-30 which is a plus. 

So now I'm just still awaiting my die set to get here and hopefully I'll have some nice 308 handloads to show off lol.

Hodgdon 4895 load data will get you close. Start at 10% below max and work up to a 95% load.

Also 308AR's do not eat soft points without damaging them ! 

Feed ramps are NOT forgiving, they shoot fine but the accuracy will be less than a hard tipped round.

8 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Hodgdon 4895 load data will get you close. Start at 10% below max and work up to a 95% load.

Also 308AR's do not eat soft points without damaging them ! 

Feed ramps are NOT forgiving, they shoot fine but the accuracy will be less than a hard tipped round.

Wish I read that a couple of hours ago.... I'll post the details later, but I started with the minimum recommended of 42.7. And yeah, these projectiles were just what they had and we're not expecting much of them in this rifle. I figure I'll use 50 for hunting loads and 50 just to burn up and get my toes wet so to speak. Pics and details coming soon.

Ok, got a few minutes so I figured I'd give a update. Got the dies out and reread the directions again. I'm still not set up for trimming 308 brass, so I picked through my stash and found 5 FC19 stamped pieces that measured within .01 of spec. Asked westgadad and he said that should be fine for what I'm doing. 

Setup the resizing/decapping die per the instructions and lubed the first case. Ran it through and learned a lesson immediately, lube the inside of the mouth!!! I seriously thought it was stuck on the expander. Thankfully westgadad was able to he-man it out and only gave me slight crap for not lubing it. After that lesson, no problems and the next 4 went smooth. 

Re cleaned the cases and cleaned the primer pocket. Priming was a snap with the exception for one primer that somehow got sideways and wouldn't seat. Again, hubby to the rescue, and I learned to leave my thump on the shell holder to keep it from wiggling ever so slightly, which is what we believe caused the problem.

Re checked the data I saved and decided to stick with the minimum charge for these first 5. So I individually measured 42.7 grains of IMR4895 on the digital scale and filled the cases.

Re read the directions on the dies (see a pattern? Lol) and set up the seating/crimping die. I adjusted the bullet depth very slowly and wound up nailing 2.75 as is prescribed for this attempt. May go longer in the future with different projectiles, but I was just holding tight to the data for this little experience. The crimp is kinda funky on 2 of the 5, but I wonder if that's me not stroking hard enough (forgive the pun lol) or minute difference in case length? Or maybe I'm just over concerned? Westgadad thinks it's more force than anything. 

So in a nutshell, I for the first time ever, did the whole process solo other than when I asked for some help. I probably took my constant checking a little overboard, but this is serious stuff so I justified it lol. Really really like the RCBS dies. They just seem more precise than our Lee's that I've used before. Really proud of getting the OAL dead on too. That's been a struggle to maintain with .45acp in my limited experience. As for why only 5? I didn't want to rush myself in my own head or get overwhelmed looking at a whole tray full of brass. This was really a learning time for me as far as setup is concerned. I don't expect much performance improvement over factory, if any from this loading. If it goes bang and heads downrange, I'm happy for now lol.

The load is 42.7grains IMR4895, FC19 brass, Winchester Large Rifle primers, and Hornady 165gr SPBT in case anyone didn't want to read back in the thread. 

Sorry for the blurry pics, don't know why we couldn't get in focus.

IMG_20190731_134402159.jpg

IMG_20190731_134632596.jpg

IMG_20190731_134854911.jpg

IMG_20190731_135457077.jpg

IMG_20190731_144029609.jpg

IMG_20190731_144108765.jpg

IMG_20190731_144911539.jpg

On 7/31/2019 at 5:33 PM, Peachey said:

Wish I read that a couple of hours ago.... I'll post the details later, but I started with the minimum recommended of 42.7. And yeah, these projectiles were just what they had and we're not expecting much of them in this rifle. I figure I'll use 50 for hunting loads and 50 just to burn up and get my toes wet so to speak. Pics and details coming soon.

https://www.surplusammo.com/products/30-caliber-bullets-500cnt-308-30-06-armscor-147-grain-fmj-bt-500-count-free-usps-shipping.html

• 3 months later...

Deprimed 3 years worth of 223 cases and sorted the Lake City and the Federal brass. That was not fun ! 

Also sorted all of the 9mm brass from the last 4 shoots. 3 gallon tubs plus the tub from the last house that was deprimed.. There has to be more than 20 lbs of 9mm to work. I need more primers !

IMG_20191126_134051.jpg

Edited by MikedaddyH

DAMN, BROTHER!!!   You been BUSY!!!   I feel like such a slacker...  :laffs:  I need to load up my .260 Rem and the 75gr 5.56 loads from the last 2 shoots, but I haven't done anything but sort the brass so far...   Oh, the Grendel, too...     :bitchslap:

loaded 1500 12ga. 1 1/4 anne rounds in a couple evenings last week. 50# of replacement shot came in the mail this morning. been sorting hulls other evenings. shot annes sunday and just got back from club shooting annes tonight, put about 500 rounds down range between the two shoots. have 15000 primers coming from recobs, supposed to be here friday

56 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

loaded 1500 12ga. 1 1/4 anne rounds in a couple evenings last week. 50# of replacement shot came in the mail this morning. been sorting hulls other evenings. shot annes sunday and just got back from club shooting annes tonight, put about 500 rounds down range between the two shoots. have 15000 primers coming from recobs, supposed to be here friday

I definitely want to learn how to load shotgun shells ... So I can load some cool stuff like a. Bunch of Videos I posted !

i started loading shotshells in early 70's on a single stage mec. started loading metallic cartridges on some kind hand held press. my resizer was a piece of driveaxle my grandfather machined a hole in. these were .38 special. you drove the brass case in with a rawhide mallot and out with wood dowel. the first press i bought was a rock chucker in mid 70's, still using that one. bought a dillon 550 early 80's. i used the mec to load shells for my kids to shoot trap. on that press its easy to put spacer cards on top of the wad to reduce load weight thereby reducing recoil. youngest was eight oldest ten. shotshell reloading is very enjoyable, probably not quite as challenging as cartridge reloading.