• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/24/2020 at 11:48 PM, 98Z5V said:

I nailed 700 Hornady 6.5mm 147gr ELD-Ms this afternoon.  HARD to find, but I got 'em. 

These got delivered yesterday - that was FAST.  Midsouth Shooters Supply, they were the blems at $26.99/100.  Right on the front of their website, it says "4~14 days for processing, because of COVID."  Last order from them took a minute, but it was worth it - the wait for 6 ARC loaded ammo.

4 days and it was here, this time. Well done, Midsouth.  :thumbup:

Scored a couple pounds of rifle powder. Accurate 4064 , never used this one. Also got some XBR-8208 this works great at the top of the loading chart, 99% to 103% of powder charge.

Noticed LRP's and LPP's back in stock. Both Federal and CCI at two LGS' .

Edited by MikedaddyH

Order 500 9mm 115gr JHP and they showed up Friday. So I started depriming , sizing and priming cases. Almost 350 done, started loading up a few last night. Using CFE Pistol ,CCI #500 primers going to run them with 5.5 grains at 1.100" Should clock in around 1175 fps. A nice Luke warm round to shoot at the Fall Shoot.

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

THere's nothing "luke warm" that you do, brother...  :thumbup::lmao:

You're like a 2-stroke. 

Off season sucks! Post funny moto related memes - Moto-Related - Motocross  Forums / Message Boards - Vital MX

I made 27 Friday morning and 315 today. This combo is a detuned version of some I put together before. I used 5.8gr of CFE Pistol powder, that was slightly hot . This load should be perfect, 5.5gr of CFE Pistol powder. This is for 9mm not some fancy boutique  cartridge. Did I surprised you that I could load sensible rounds !!!

Sportsman's Warehouse ! 

They had just stocked the shelves. They also had..... 9mm SD ammo 4 big cases on the shelves. Picked up two... Limit two per day.  Told my 4 friends at work , 3 went and got some. It's probably gone now. Going to stop in on the way to work and try again. Co-worker picked up the last brick of 1000 CCI pistol primers they had, lucky MF !

They still don't have any XTP's. Can't find them in the East valley.

Edited by MikedaddyH

Minor update on making .223 blanks. Took me a while to find all the problems I introduced along the way (and errors in my own thinking). It's trivially easy to crush the case body such that the round will sit right in a case length gauge; but not chamber at all. When I finally figured this out; I took the decapping pin out of my full length resizing die, and fixed each one carefully. It was a lot worse than I expected; about as much effort as resizing a case that's already been fired.

Short blanks don't always feed cleanly for me. Not sure if a magazine modification would help; or if I need to go after the feed ramps. Perhaps even changing my crimp method would allow for a smoother feed (more circle, less star?). I'll mess with that before I test another batch and see what I can find out. I'm sure by now I can find some actual garbage brass to use for that process. May as well add a rotation indicator to the top of each blank die; since they are apparently very sensitive adjustments. Seems like this was entirely too much effort for what is essentially a toy. But it does have some niche uses like throwing antenna up in a tree.

My Clays rounds launched cans too slow for the Labradar to pick up, but I suspect the powder will work fine when I get the charge dialed in. Six grains Unique shot a can just above the speed of a standard M200 blank. I declined the 7, and 8 grain for now; but I've shot them before, and they seem "safe" enough with a bit more throw. Trailboss finally makes more sense to me; those cans never left the barrel, just a little puff of smoke which was nearly silent. Plenty of room left in the case, so I won't count the Trailboss out just yet. Probably not going to be the most cost effective option if it requires a case full of powder though.

Disclaimer; there is a chance I have a bad container of Trail Boss. Those numbers just don't look right at all. It's cheap enough that I might as well double check. What other loads do you all like with Trail Boss? What if I have a whole lot of extra left over?

Tumbled and deprimed 850+ 9mm cases. Primed 653 9mm case, out of small pistol primers. Loaded 400; 115gr JHP 9mm and started loading 250 - 115gr Berry's plated 9mm. One box of 124gr Berry's 9mm is still available to load. I will have a 1000 rounds of 9mm for the fall shoot ! 🤠

Got lucky and found one box of Hornady 124gr XTP's Monday. Loaded them Wednesday.  Loaded a bunch of 9mm this week. 313 on Monday, 102 on Tuesday and 99 on Wednesday. Still have about 200 - 124gr Berry's but around  100 primed cases. I am out of SPP  so only one more day of loading 9mm. Going to do either 10/40 of 223R next.

Worked through 180 6.5 Grendels this morning, 123gr ELD-M loads.  Working on the 190 .260 Rem 147gr ELD-M loads right now - halfway through those.  After that, it's prepping 9mm cases for some Berry's 115gr copper plated range ammo.  I had a 1k round box that's about half full, so I'll load those until I run out of them.  That should cover me for the shoot in a few weeks, with what I already have on-hand.

6 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Define nice - like smoking hot nice or ???

based on past talk of some of your loads I’m just trying to establish a base line.:cool:

Soft shooting ,cycling properly. 

Do Not believe everything you read on the internet ! 

I don't load +P 9mm .... Just hot 357sig and 10mmAuto.

Fully processed 328 9mm cases tonight after work.  Right now they're primed and ready to get loaded tomorrow.  That'll have me setting well for the Fall Shoot, with what I already have on hand.  55gr 5.56 is up in the next couple days.  Then I'm finished, and ready to truck it all out to the Secret Desert Test Facility. 

Primed 199 5.56 rounds. First time as I am really gearing up to reload. This winter will be full on production. These were a control lot for my ladder load to develop a mk262 clone and a ladder load for a 69gr load, both being tested in the mk12. I’ll probably do the same tomorrow too. 

I may be new but I can’t say enough about the Lee bench priming tool. Damn it’s easy. 

• 3 weeks later...